cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NOOOO! Thor buys Jayco

rvrev2
Explorer
Explorer
Just read that Thor has bought Jayco for $576 million. Wall Street Journal article at this address: http://www.wsj.com/articles/thor-industries-to-buy-jayco-for-576-million-1467375874

Jayco was the largest, family owned RV manufacturer in America (if not the world). I was saving money in order to replace my aging Jayco with a new one. Thor has not been portrayed well on these forums, so this brings me great concern.

Seems like all the good manufacturers have gone:
Nuwa (Hitchhiker)no longer manufacturing.
Excel (Peterson Industries) shut down their business.
DRV (bought out)
Teton (shut down their business)

From the article: Jayco will operate as a subsidiary of Thor, with the existing management continuing to lead the business. Derald Bontrager, Jaycoโ€™s chief executive, said one of the things the company found โ€œmost attractiveโ€ about the tie-up was Thorโ€™s decentralized business structure.
2002 NuWa HitchHiker II 31 FKTG
2005 Chevy 2500 HD, crew cab, long bed
B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch
24 REPLIES 24

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
camperforlife wrote:
I was surprised when KZ sold to Thor and now Jayco. When these family companies hit the second and especially third generations money seems to out weigh family.
Why work when you got $576M? I could live extremely well on the interest alone and never work a day it my life.

I agree. It's not and shouldn't be about family. Grandpa starts building widgets to make money, not to build widgets. Said widget company prospers and his children grow it into an enterprise. If the enterprise is sold at a price that sets grandchildren for life then grandpa's dreams have been fulfilled.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Thor, like so many other very large business entities, gets a bad rap for little more reason than for being so huge and being an easy target.

I doubt there will be any difference other than ownership. Thor also owns Airstream and I haven't read any comments about any drop in quality after that purchase.

Yep,,, and according to the article, the jayco people will continue to run things...
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
According to the "free" article that was posted:

free article wrote:
Thor's subsidiaries function as separate entities and compete against each other in the marketplace, Martin said. That is a benefit for Jayco, which will continue to enjoy the same independence.

I hope that is true. We are in the market for a Destination Trailer and had been looking at Jayco's Bungalow line. We were ready to purchase one, but the Dealer sold the model we liked the day before. Too late for this season to order one, but most likely will for next season.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
wing_zealot wrote:
camperforlife wrote:
I was surprised when KZ sold to Thor and now Jayco. When these family companies hit the second and especially third generations money seems to out weigh family.
Why work when you got $576M? I could live extremely well on the interest alone and never work a day it my life.

Exactly. First generation works hands on to build their business and takes pride in the accomplishments. As it grows, the second generation likely gets involved. If the business grows really large, then it moves away from being a family business and into the corporate world. By the time the third generation comes along there is little of the "family business" left in it and they are ready to reap the benefits of the previous generation's work.

And the third generation having too much money loses all ambition to work and ends up spending it all gambling drinking etc..and dying poor.
Chinese have a good saying for this...from shorts sleeves to short sleeves in three generations..

Give your children only so much money they can do anything,but never so much they need to do nothing..

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
some monopoly busting has to be done, otherwise we will end up with two corporations for RVs, and quality will be too costly or unavailable, as well as choices.

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:

Also unlikely that it is a cash buyout, more likely the sellers will become partial owners of Thor.

Nope - all cash.

2 year non-compete clause for key personnel

http://ir.thorindustries.com/acquisition-of-jayco/Acquisition-QA-/default.aspx
2017 LTV Unity

WE_CAMP2
Explorer
Explorer
Not saying Thor is bad, but I hate to see this happening. Thor has been slowly buying up the competition. Once any company has no serious competition it will surely be bad for the consumer, which is us ๐Ÿ˜ž
2017 F250 CC SB PSD & 2008 Cameo 5'er

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
camperforlife wrote:

Depending upon how much planning for a multi-million dollar/ billion dollar business the first generation did when the company was young, turning over ownership to a third generation may be impossible. The capital gains taxes could leave the company with no working cash.

I would be very surprised if the federal government didn't end up with 25-30% of that 576 million.

It is very hard to transfer ownership of a non-public company to children/ grandchildren.

Another issue is the number of people involved. One company I saw go from a third generation involved to sold to a public traded company back in the early 90s - did so because the original two brothers, their seven children - the company didn't have appropriate roles available for the 23 grandchildren.

The number of people issue is normally more evident in small companies. A nice income for dad and his two sons, might be insufficient for them and six grandchildren families.

That's probably why Leigh Tiffin (Bob's grandson) is now heading up Vanleigh RV - a 5th wheel manufacturer.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thor has not been entirely "hands off." Not too long ago they merged their FourWinds and Damon into Thor Motorcoach. This was probably for the good, since they eliminated some internal competition with alike product, and introduced new lines like their A and C RUV products.

Thor Motorcoach is still making multiple "brands" of most model lines, like the FourWinds/Citation/Chateau branding FourWinds used to do, and new pairs like Compass/Gemini and Axis/Vegas, but no longer have Damon Daybreaks aimed at the same market as FourWinds Hurricanes.

But generally, they've let Keystone, Dutchmen, Airstream, Crossroads, Cruiser, Heartland, LivinLite, DRV operate on their own. I'm less sure about the ongoing independence of K-Z, and Carriage was one of the companies that essentially disappeared, with the brand names going over Crossroads, with loss of the construction methods that had made Carriage special over the years.

Better chance of survival for a company to be pulled into the Thor group than to be bought by Forest River, which tends more to centralize management and merge production facilities.

Also unlikely that it is a cash buyout, more likely the sellers will become partial owners of Thor. I could see this coming when Jayco had trouble getting Entegra going. A family-held business can have difficulty raising capital for business expansion, and most of the failures of these small, closely-held RV manufacturers have been the result of creditors calling in loans as soon as business gets slow.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
It's business.
Nothing more, nothing less.

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
The OP's link requires a subscription to view. Here is a link to another article that is free to view:

Free Article

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think these large companies purposely let quality drop when they buy other companies, but the problem is that they become so big, that it's difficult to manage all of the operations. Rules and guidelines have to be standardized along with pay, hiring practices, etc. Once you do that, the quality employees are grouped in with the new hires and there is no longer any incentive to do good work.

Camping World is a prime example of this. They don't purposely do bad work, they just don't have any qualified technicians or can't keep them once they get experience.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

nma33
Explorer
Explorer
I was at Jayco end of May, went into the store and the pride of Jayco being a family business was all over, the staff talked a lot about it too, Guess that will all change now. Glad I bough mine before changes occur, Not saying they will be bad, but it is possible. I sure hope they keep their amazing customer service folks I dealt with. An interesting story, that was told with pride, During the crash of 2007, Jayco shut down Starcraft temporarily, They placed every single employee of Starcraft into other divisions of Jayco until they weathered the storm. This would not happen now.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
wing_zealot wrote:
camperforlife wrote:

Exactly. First generation works hands on to build their business and takes pride in the accomplishments. As it grows, the second generation likely gets involved. If the business grows really large, then it moves away from being a family business and into the corporate world. By the time the third generation comes along there is little of the "family business" left in it and they are ready to reap the benefits of the previous generation's work.