cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OK, so I weighed today - considering 5th wheel

DwnSth
Explorer
Explorer
So the F150 full tank and wife and I, ice chest and our typical load of a few other things as if we were traveling:

-------GAWR-----Scale--Diff
Front..4050.....3700....350
Rear...4800.....2880...1920
-------GVWR
Total..8200.....6580...1620

The front actually was a bit surprising but I've heard the ecoboost is heavy.

Looking at a couple of 'light' 5th wheels with dry pin weight between 1150 and 1300. Since I have no idea what the pin wt. will actually be off the lot I'm adding 150 for propane and batteries then adding our what we think our typical load might add to the pin so about 200 additional lbs. on the pin. The 1150 pin becomes 1500 for our 'start' weight.

What I don't want to do is be afraid to load a 5 gallon gas can in bed of truck or bring my small Yamaha generator when I do need it. If I where to go 100 or 150 lbs. over GVWR on some trips for whatever reason, will the additional axel capacity be sufficient? We typically travel light anyway from years of pop-ups and small TT, I don't want to micromanage weight and have to leave a pack of ham behind because it put me 2 oz. over GVWR.
2014 Berkshire 360QL
22 REPLIES 22

DwnSth
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
You will need a 5th wheel with a GVWR of 8k +/- 2 oz or less. Happy hunting

We are looking at some TT's. However there are two requirements that are pushing the TT weight and size. I'm over 6'2" so an 80" bed is a must. Other requirement is an actual full separate bedroom. An equivalent TT to a 5th will be 4 or 5 ft. longer. I'm less comfortable towing 34 ft. TT than being at my weights on a 5th. Open Range has a good alternative between their 5th (LF297RLS) and the TT (LT274RLS). Basically the same but without the wardrobe slide.

Other problem with TT is running up against the receiver limitation of 1150.
2014 Berkshire 360QL

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
You will need a 5th wheel with a GVWR of 8k +/- 2 oz or less. Happy hunting
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Aren't most fivers that lightweight pretty small? Why not just get a TT? Is there a reason you are set on a fiver?

My way of looking at "upgrading" to a fiver is to get a big, roomy camper about the same total length (tow vehicle and camper) as towing a TT.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Here are your numbers plugged into my calculator:
http://www.towingplanner.com/Calculators/TowingScaledWeights/?gvwr=8200&tw=6580&ew=200&ct=FW

Given a pin weight of 20-25% that gives you a fairly light fiver of 5,680 - 7,100 lbs.

You can try to get a real world estimate of pin weight by extrapolating from dry weights using this tool:
http://www.towingplanner.com/Estimators/TonguePinWeightFromDry
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would deduct a few hundred lbs for the hitch and rails.

Good luck!!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
There are quite a few 1/2 ton tow able FWs out there. Your HD 1/2 is one of the most capable.

I have seen some light weight FWs (under 7,000#s empty), that had a dry pin weight over 1500#s. It makes a difference on the placement of the trailer axles. If you stay with a dry pin of 12-13 hundred, it would work for you.

You should know your generator weight, and about 40#s for 5 gal can of gas.

Usually there is good storage in a FW basement, but much of that weight will transfer to the pin. You will have to manage weight, unless you find a FW, with 1,000# dry pin.

You were wise to weigh your truck, and it would be nice if you could weigh hooked up to a FW before purchase, but that is often not possible.

Good luck,
Jerry

therink
Explorer
Explorer
I don't believe there are many if any 5th wheels on the market with a loaded pin weight under 1600. Using the 20 percent pin weight factor you would be looking for a fiver with about 8000 gvwr.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
When I traded my TT in for my first FW, it was a light version. I had a 2002 Chevy 1500. It caused the rear end to sag pretty bad, but some new springs helped that.

I pulled it a few times for some camping trips and short vacations. It pulled okay, though a little sluggish going up mountains. Unfortunately, at 36,150 miles, the transmission said "I quit" and disintegrated. But fortunately, the extended warranty covered it. I immediately traded it in for a 2500 and never had another issue.

It could have been just bad luck, but I really don't feel the 1/2 ton series of trucks are a good choice for a FW. That's my personal opinion, so take it for what it's worth.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)