cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

On Board Generator vs Portable Generator

placergold
Explorer
Explorer
We are researching the purchase of a new toy hauler. And one of the options we are struggling with is whether or not to go with a portable generator, or the factory installed generator. Your opinions and experience on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
48 REPLIES 48

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on where you are camping too. How often are you running it? Cold weather camping?

placergold
Explorer
Explorer
Good point TomG2. Money is a definite factor. But, as others have pointed out, convenience is important too. I've had two on board Onan generators, and been very happy with them. I've also had a Generac, that I had nothing but problems with, and eventually had to replace. The initial expense of a large Onan, and the possible cost of repairs down the road, are another factor to consider. I also think about, how much the absence of a on board generator would affect the resale value, and resale possibilities down the road.

I have been using twin Honda EU2000's paralleled for years with no issues... I now have an Onan 6.5 and hands down it is better !!

The Honda's did fine, but i could not run both ac's... i had to hook them together... if running for a while, get the extended run tank out and hooked up...

Now i just press a button , No comparison !!!
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
What is the difference in cost when it comes time to repair or replace the built in unit compared to a portable model of similar output. Or is money not a factor in the decision?

placergold
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your input. It is greatly appreciated!

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
I use both depending on the situation. I have a built in 5500 onan in my toy hauler. A 6500 in my motorhome(for sale) and a 2000 watt yamaha.

whatimmadoboutm
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't used a built-in, so I can't speak to any possible downsides of those. I currently have a 2000w portable inverter generator, and have to concern myself with theft and rain. I would rather not have to do that.

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer
built in YES. Ready at a minutes notice and don't have to worry about getting stolen.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I thought all toy haulers came with a generator? Never seen one without one. My previous 5th wheel came with a generator so I've never been without one. I wouldn't want the hassle of a portable one with the added ability for it to be stolen. Mine has it's own 30 gallon gas tank. Most all toy haulers have gas powered generators while the 5th wheels are propane powered.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perfectly happy with my Honda 2000. Rarely have the desire for A/C when dry camping. Hate listening to the neighbours built in screaming away even though little of the power it is producing is being used. The portable inverter genny runs at whatever speed it needs to for the power needed.

Hate the exhaust smell, in tight spots like event camping, from the neighbours built in. Very few have one of those snorkel exhaust thinghys.

Now, if you are going remote dry camping or your idea of event dry camping in something noisy like NASCAR, the go for the built in onboard genny.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Explorer
Explorer
Which ever you choose, make sure you have a working carbon monoxide detector on board. Here today, no wake up tomorrow.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

Explorer
Explorer
Which ever you choose, make sure you have a working carbon monoxide detector on board. Here today, no wake up tomorrow.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I personally would not own a Toyhauler without a built-in Onan. Even if you decide to go the portable I would make sure it had a generator ready pkg otherwise you'll take a hit when you sell.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The guys with the built-in generators usually get a free pass when they run their generator at the places with generator run time restrictions in place...

I have the portable and I usually get caught within a few minutes of the quiet time. Gets turned in by the neighbor folks in a heart beat.

The guy next to me with his $300K motorhome with built-in generator is running way up into the evening... He's probably the one that turned me in haha...

Dual standard or money talks or something like that haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We used to carry gas, load, unload, plug in, lock with cable, ......
Now we push a button. No contest.