cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Online shopping while on the road

lauravanb
Explorer
Explorer
How would I order something online when on the road? Can I have something shipped to a post office without a po box, if I am going to be somewhere for a few days? I can't find anything conclusive online, if anyone has experience, please share!
36 REPLIES 36

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
It's up to the particular merchant whether your particular CC's billing address has to match the shipping. The dollar amount of the purchase also plays a role. I'm only relating my experiences with this card and some merchants.

I've never had any issue with using a different address.

TracFone (when buying airtime)

Nope. I've bought airtime for my sister who lives in California. I live in Mass. No issue.

And if you want to buy reduced price, in-state-resident Disney tickets you need to have a Florida address on the credit card you use.

That's just common sense. If it's an in-state perk then the buyer would have to have an address in that state.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
2chiefsRus wrote:
To mail out new credit cards because of a credit breach of some type that involved a whole bunch of people, not just me.
Yes, that would be an issue. I would hope Amex would text or email me first if that were to happen.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
2chiefsRus wrote:
I wouldn't be worried about credit rating but I would concerned about the credit card company using that address after I had departed.
Using it for what?

To mail out new credit cards because of a credit breach of some type that involved a whole bunch of people, not just me.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
GMandJM wrote:
2oldman wrote:
2chiefsRus wrote:
I wouldn't be worried about credit rating but I would concerned about the credit card company using that address after I had departed.
Using it for what?
Using it to send those stupid "check" things for cash advances....or other credit card offers.
If that's the case then yeah, change it back.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
2chiefsRus wrote:
Using it for what?

Using it to send those stupid "check" things for cash advances....or other credit card offers.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
It's up to the particular merchant whether your particular CC's billing address has to match the shipping. The dollar amount of the purchase also plays a role.

I have very good credit and can assure you that changing my address has never affected it. So much gloom and doom.

All this is a little off from the OP's intended topic, but....

There ARE some on-line merchants that require that your address on file with them be the same as your CC billing address.

TracFone (when buying airtime) and VerizonWireless (when adding a hotspot plan) are two that come to mind.

And if you want to buy reduced price, in-state-resident Disney tickets you need to have a Florida address on the credit card you use.

That's close enough to say EVERYBODY's right on this GD* thread isn't it?

(*GD=gloomy-doomy)
It's his Super Power!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
2chiefsRus wrote:
Using it for what?

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
It's up to the particular merchant whether your particular CC's billing address has to match the shipping. The dollar amount of the purchase also plays a role.

I have very good credit and can assure you that changing my address has never affected it. So much gloom and doom.

Dave & Kathy
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's up to the particular merchant whether your particular CC's billing address has to match the shipping. The dollar amount of the purchase also plays a role. I'm only relating my experiences with this card and some merchants.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
We have Amazon Prime because the included two day shipping makes it that much easier to hit a moving target like us because we move around so much.

I'm with the crowd recommending do NOT change your billing address. Just make sure you specify billing address is xxxx and shipping address is yyyy when placing your order.
Dave & Kathy
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

TInmania
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
You guys are a hoot sometimes.

Purchasing products online is different from using the physical card buying gas or food. I have tried to buy online using Amex, and if the shipping and billing addresses didn't match, THAT was a big problem.

Cancel the card? I doubt that, but it's not inconceivable Amex would text me and ask me if that's what I did. I stopped getting paper statements years ago.

Just to appease everyone, I'll rephrase: " You may have to change your CC address for the card to go through."

I have bought dozens if not hundreds of items using my Amex card--all delivered to a different shipping address than billing address. It is common practice, and indeed must be done for buying gifts online.

I would definitely not recommend changing your CC address while on the road just to receive a package. Any address change to an account that reports to credit agencies will be retained long after you have changed it back or to someplace else. That can be a negative. In addition, the address change might not be instantaneous as far as card authorizations. For example the zip code that is needed at many gas pumps to authorize a CC transaction can take days to weeks to reflect a change (i.e, the old zip code will work but not the new).

Mike

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Shipping and billing don't have to match.............billing has to match YOUR address on file with CC

General Delivery.........works just make sure that particular Post Office accepts General Delivery (not all do).

Shipping to CG address.....works if CG accepts mail (not all do)

Shipping to neighbor/family member works best..then IF something should happen/delay it order processing-shipping you are not trying to track down a package.
And when you get back from trip you have a 'present' waiting for you

Full Timing.......we just made sure anything shipped was done so with enough time allotted to get to us in time. If that meant paying EXTRA for shipping so be it.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many stores; Walmart, Lowes, Homer, Target, etc do free shipping for store pickup if you have time. It can be several days sometime but only a few others.

You could ship it to a store a few days away from where your headed.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
There's no reason a billing address and shipping address should have to match, 2O. Many of us buy gifts on line and have them sent to others at their home addresses.

The charges go through just fine. Perhaps AmEx is different.
It's his Super Power!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vulcan Rider wrote:
2oldman wrote:
You should also change your CC address to where you are so the card will go through.
If it works OK for buying gas and food, etc. while you are travelling around, it should work for anything.Actually trying to do that might cause you a BIG headache.If the company verifies the address you try to use and finds it is NOT a residence, they might cancel your card.
Overall bad advice.,
You guys are a hoot sometimes.

Purchasing products online is different from using the physical card buying gas or food. I have tried to buy online using Amex, and if the shipping and billing addresses didn't match, THAT was a big problem.

Cancel the card? I doubt that, but it's not inconceivable Amex would text me and ask me if that's what I did. I stopped getting paper statements years ago.

Just to appease everyone, I'll rephrase: " You may have to change your CC address for the card to go through."