cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Open Title Purchase

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was looking at a trailer online and it was reported to have a clean title. The seller explained he had the title after purchase from a family member original owner who signed the back of the title. But he never had it transferred in his name. The trailer sits on family property so he did not see the need since he was not towing it anywhere. I did not feel comfortable with the situation so I passed tell he gets the trailer transferred in his name.

What do you think
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
32 REPLIES 32

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Where I live, if you wait too long to transfer title, you will be fined.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
1L243 wrote:
The seller can go to DMV by him self and call me when he gets it transferred!

It depends on how bad the buyer wants the unit. If the seller puts the Rv in his name he will pay fees taxes on the transaction. ASt this point the seller has avoided those fees thus far why pay them now?
The buyer is going to have to pay registration fees either weay to put RV in his name, but at this point the seller doesn't need to pay those fees. The seller can pay the fees to make the sale or find another buyer. Likewise the buyer can avoid the scenario and buy another RV.
Which gets back to the point, this is all a paperwork issue. If the buyer truly likes the RV otherwise he has incentive to negotiate to seal the deal. The paperwork issue does not have to be the deal breaker if the buyer believes the seller is honest and the rig was not registered because it was never put on the road, which is a very common practice
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ooops
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
The seller can go to DMV by him self and call me when he gets it transferred!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well it looks like mods don't want anybody to know my experience with open titles.
If the name state printed on the title is not same as person that is selling what indication do you have the seller is owner? Anybody that can convince a judge the trailer belongs to them will take the trailer.

And for the idea "hold the last of the money"; You pay 10%, hold 90. What reason does "owner" have to do the paperwork? Sure, he doesn't get the 90% FROM YOU But he can get 10% from a dozen others, still have trailer

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
The open title alone would not be the deal breaker for me.
The seller could go to DMV with me or we could strike a deal that final payment will not be made until all title work is complete and finalized.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have bought and sold many times with an open title. If the signature on the back is the same name as the one on the front---who cares, other than those who make money doing the paper work and the ever present tax folks.

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I told he needs to transfer title in his name then I'll buy it

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I can add that thereโ€™s a lot of supposition in the replies. Has been my experience in several different states that itโ€™s no problem re-titling a vehicle that has a title from an owner previous to the seller.
OP, if itโ€™s the right camper, then get it. As long as the title is endorsed properly and is a legit title you wonโ€™t have any problems in OR or WA and any other state Iโ€™ve lived in.
Heck thatโ€™s how most old junk like vehicles and campers end up anyways. Itโ€™s not uncommon and itโ€™s not illegal, whatever. And you certainly wonโ€™t be on the hook for any back fees for a vehicle you didnโ€™t own when the fees were incurred.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Without a current clear title I'd pass. I'm just not interested in clearing up someones title with unknow issues.

absolutely correct. run, do not walk, away.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Just make it part of the deal that he goes with you to transfer the title and he is responsible for any fees or penalties. He gets paid at the dmv once he hands you a clean title in your name.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
From what I have read the person on the title is still the registered owner even though they signed the title because the second party the guy selling it has never transferred the title into his name.
Plus there is the issue of the trailer being in a different state than party #3 buyer.
I also read that it's illegal but don't know if that is every State.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you really want it, accompany the owner to the title company or registration office in your state. Explain the situation, have owner sign and pay any late fees. IF he can't or won't do that, and get you a new clear title in your name the same day. That's it, start looking again.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Without a current clear title I'd pass. I'm just not interested in clearing up someones title with unknow issues.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is called title jumping, it is illegal. He needs to register in his name and then sell it to you. You can and most likely will have trouble getting it registered in your name with out paying back taxes and penalties.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore