cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Painting roof What to use?

Queens_Carriage
Explorer
Explorer
I know this has been talked about 100000 times. But one last time.Going to scrub roof the best I can then put eternabond tape on all seams then paint the roof ( Tired of the white chalking running down the sides. So Wash, Wipe with assitone, apply tape, then paint roof. Now the big question?? What would you to paint the foof? I was told by one person He used Blackjack 1000, from Lowe's. What would you use? or what did you use? Want to get it right the first time' Just tired of the wite chalking down the sides of the RV.
97 REPLIES 97

Alpenliter
Explorer
Explorer
Barney, I ordered the stuff directly from the Liquid Roof site, so I would think it would be fresh. You ordered smart with getting the 4+1 gallon set up. Takes some pressure off. Make sure you have a backup for your roller and roller frame. 3" "Chip" brushes work good for the cut ins, and by all means get a box of disposable gloves and use them! This stuff is STICKY!!! :B
My first Wife Linda, 45+years
2004 F-450 CC, DRW 6.0 Classy Chassis Upgrade
Bulletproof Diesel upgrades
1997 33' Alpenlite
400 Watts Solar
Lifetime Good Sam Member #39644174
Escapees SKP#89882

Vietnam Vet '67-'68

[

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
alpenliter wrote:

Barney, I forgot to tell you one important thing. Mixing the Liquid Roof and the catalyst
. The consistency of Liquid Roof is not honey like, more like warm tar. I bought a new 1/2" drill at Walmart and a 4" paint paddle to mix the ingredients. Within seconds of starting to mix it, smoke was pouring out of the drill case. I stopped before I fried it so I could return it. I then went to a rental place and rented a heavy duty mixer that actually clamps to the side of the 5 gallon bucket. It mixed it without breaking a sweat. Well worth the expense. Also, if I were to do it over again, I would have purchased one gallon separately to do the cut ins around the vents, AC and the edges. That took me two hours to do, which only allowed me a few hours to do the rest. The squeegee business didn't work for me, because I had too large of one, a 9" would be the maximum size. Good luck with your project!

I wonder if your 5 gallon can had been sitting around for a long time or something. I had a few 5 gallon cans of driveway sealer that were that way one time. They had a video on their site that showed a guy mixing his can with a drill and it didn't seem that heavy of a product. I have not opened mine yet and don't plan on doing so until we get to Florida.

I also purchased a 4 gallon pail and a one gallon pail exactly for the reason you mentioned. Funny thing was - the 4 + 1 was cheaper by a few dollars than the one 5 gal pail. Also got a brush and a gallon paint mixer with the one gallon purchase.:C Figured I would use the one gallon to do around the edges and vents and then mix up the big pail for the rest of the job. Would give me more leeway as far as time goes also.

Did it become less thick after you added the catalyst and mixed it up? The videos looked like it pored out of the can ok and didn't look extremely thick.

Thanks to all of you for the excellent advice. I hope the OP is getting as much help out of it as I am!:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Barney,

I wasn't aware of the 20mil thickness for the covering and I agree that is not more than the thickness of the Eternabond Roof Seal so at that thickness any damning issues should be non existent.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
dicor makes a great product for rubber roofs used it on a m.h. roof looked like new when i sold it a year later

Alpenliter
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
Larry,
Thank you for your post. I had not given that any thought at all. I had planned on removing the air conditioner shroud and all the covers over my vents etc. Not sure it will be a concern but if it is I will remove the air conditioner, fasten some thin plywood strips around the opening to raise it up a bit, cover them with Eternabond, and then paint the Liquid Roof on.

The directions for the Liquid Roof product say to make the coating 20mils thick. I don't think that will cause any pooling problems but we'll see. I may give them a call before I tackle the project. Their videos did not mention it either. I appreciate your post! Hope this helps the OP also. ๐Ÿ™‚

Rvusa,
The videos show the installers pouring the product on the roof and then smoothing it with both a squeegee and a short nap roller. I will probably just use a brush to go around the edges and vents etc. and then a roller for the rest of the job. The product is supposed to have about a 4 hour working time after mixing in the catalyst. That should be plenty of time to do my 30 foot trailer. It kind of looks like the consistency of honey in the videos and is supposed to be self leveling.
Barney

Barney, I forgot to tell you one important thing. Mixing the Liquid Roof and the catalyst
. The consistency of Liquid Roof is not honey like, more like warm tar. I bought a new 1/2" drill at Walmart and a 4" paint paddle to mix the ingredients. Within seconds of starting to mix it, smoke was pouring out of the drill case. I stopped before I fried it so I could return it. I then went to a rental place and rented a heavy duty mixer that actually clamps to the side of the 5 gallon bucket. It mixed it without breaking a sweat. Well worth the expense. Also, if I were to do it over again, I would have purchased one gallon separately to do the cut ins around the vents, AC and the edges. That took me two hours to do, which only allowed me a few hours to do the rest. The squeegee business didn't work for me, because I had too large of one, a 9" would be the maximum size. Good luck with your project!
1997 33' Alpenlite
400 Watts Solar
Escapees SKP#89882

Vietnam Vet '67-'68

[

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Queens Carriage wrote:
Just found out about another product called Bus Cote. Has anybody ever used it or heard of it?
Do you mean Bus Kote? Check with your local school district to see how well it holds up on their school buses.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Larry,
Thank you for your post. I had not given that any thought at all. I had planned on removing the air conditioner shroud and all the covers over my vents etc. Not sure it will be a concern but if it is I will remove the air conditioner, fasten some thin plywood strips around the opening to raise it up a bit, cover them with Eternabond, and then paint the Liquid Roof on.

The directions for the Liquid Roof product say to make the coating 20mils thick. I don't think that will cause any pooling problems but we'll see. I may give them a call before I tackle the project. Their videos did not mention it either. I appreciate your post! Hope this helps the OP also. ๐Ÿ™‚

Rvusa,
The videos show the installers pouring the product on the roof and then smoothing it with both a squeegee and a short nap roller. I will probably just use a brush to go around the edges and vents etc. and then a roller for the rest of the job. The product is supposed to have about a 4 hour working time after mixing in the catalyst. That should be plenty of time to do my 30 foot trailer. It kind of looks like the consistency of honey in the videos and is supposed to be self leveling.
Barney
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
Ace hardware sell "extreme solar" roof coating thats good for epdm roofs. In phx. I paid $105 for a 5 gallon pail, and I got 4 coats on a 37 foot roof.

Go around the roof with a paint brush first and pre paint seams and and things that need extra sealing like the skylight and such.

Use a 1/4" nap roller, anything larger than that will pull and leave ridges in the coating. Do every other coat perpendicular to the previous one. I went long ways, across the rv, long ways, and then across the rv. I started out dipping the roller, but eventually just poured a bunch down and just rolled it out.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
alpenliter wrote:
LarryJM wrote:
BarneyS wrote:
I have 5 gallons of Liquid Roof sitting in my truck and will be put on my roof just as soon as we get down to Florida.
Barney

What do you plan to do for the A/C since building up the roof around the A/C without removing the lower shroud and the entire A/C will create a pool type ridge around the A/C gasket that would be subject to pooling and possible leaks and the drain holes in the lower shroud are very close to the gasket as shown below.

Larry

Larry, that concerned me too, so I used the Liquid Roof and built a "dam" around the outside. So far no leaks. If I do find that it leaks, I will pull the AC and take the appropriate action.

Well then that would trap the condensate that is meant to drain onto the roof and off subjecting the A/C gasket to long term "submerged" conditions which I don't think it is designed for. It's good you haven't had issues, but I only mention this as if I were to do this I think I would seriously consider removing the A/C and then reinstalling with a new gasket after covering the roof. On trailers in the past, manufacturers would even mount extra roof support in support areas like the A/C and antenna to raise that area like 1/4" or even 1/8" above the surrounding roof to provide proper drainage away from the sealed area of the item.

The liquid rubber roof might no be thick enough for this issue to be much of a concern and I only mentioned this potential issue as something to at least consider and I'm sure Barney will make the right decision since he is knows what he is doing.

Each year when I do my annual roof debris removal I use a very thin flexible 18" plastic ruler to run up under the edge of the lower shroud to get whatever "stuff" has managed to find a home there and I'm amazed at the amount of "KRUD" that has established residence there. ๐Ÿ˜›

Larry

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.

Alpenliter
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
BarneyS wrote:
I have 5 gallons of Liquid Roof sitting in my truck and will be put on my roof just as soon as we get down to Florida.
Barney

What do you plan to do for the A/C since building up the roof around the A/C without removing the lower shroud and the entire A/C will create a pool type ridge around the A/C gasket that would be subject to pooling and possible leaks and the drain holes in the lower shroud are very close to the gasket as shown below.

Larry

Larry, that concerned me too, so I used the Liquid Roof and built a "dam" around the outside. So far no leaks. If I do find that it leaks, I will pull the AC and take the appropriate action.
1997 33' Alpenlite
400 Watts Solar
Escapees SKP#89882

Vietnam Vet '67-'68

[

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
BarneyS wrote:
Barney

Larry

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thank you for the tips Jim. I will be sure to do that. ๐Ÿ™‚ I am starting to see black through the white on the roof so figured this winter would be a good time to do it while we are down there.
Barney
Not towing now.

Alpenliter
Explorer
Explorer
Barney, when you begin the job, make sure you are wearing clothes and shoes that you have no further need of. Get a box of disposable gloves and have mineral spirits on hand for clean up. Good luck!
1997 33' Alpenlite
400 Watts Solar
Escapees SKP#89882

Vietnam Vet '67-'68

[

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Barney
Not towing now.

Queens_Carriage
Explorer
Explorer
Just found out about another product called Bus Cote. Has anybody ever used it or heard of it?