cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pick Up towing a Van

caredwoods
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning to tow a Chevy G20 van across country with an F150 Pick Up , Towing Dinghy... with a tow bar.
I have been doing a lot of research to be sure what I do is safe.
Something that I have not found answers on is whether or not the front wheels of the tow vehicle should be locked or free to turn. The drive shaft will be removed.
If anyone can offer advise I would appreciate it much!
Thank You ! John
25 REPLIES 25

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered paying a company to drive or trailer the van to where you want it?

If you are going to be buying extra equipment, disassembling things, etc. it might be worth it.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
The State of California does not require a brake system on a towed vehicle as in cars, SUV's, small trucks only on trailers over 1500 pounds, the CHP uses a performance criteria if involved in an accident they add the weight of the towed vehicle to the vehicle towing if combined weights are more than the CCC of the towing vehicle you are in trouble, on the other hand if the towed vehicle has a brake system they consider it a a trailer.

This information comes from the California Highway Patrol as told to me by several Officers that I asked over several years.

navegator

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Do not drive faster than 55 miles per hour, if the van starts swaying and you are going faster you will not be able to slow down while trying to control the vehicles, the faster you go the longer it is to slow down to a controllable situation.

navegator

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
"Check the states you will be traveling through, many require a braking system on anything over 2000lbs.

Yes, definitely check the laws in the states you will be traveling through. If for no other reason, because the above statement just is not true!
DO NOT, however, put any trust in any so-called "List Of Towing laws" on the internet. I have looked at a lot of them, and I have yet to see one that I would rely on to be accurate!
For example, many such lists say that Montana has "No law regarding" braking on a towed vehicle. Actually, Montana Code Annotated is quite specific; a towed vehicle does not meet the legal definition of a "trailer" (MCA 61-1-101), so trailer braking laws do not apply. However, ANY combination of vehicles must be able to stop within 40 feet from 20 MPH on a level, clean, hard, dry surface (MCA 61-9-312).
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is really more to it than just having the front vehicle weighing more than the rear one.

Have you thought about being able to stop in a sudden situation. Remember that the towing

capacities of vehicles doesn't mean that is what they will be able to stop without auxiliary braking.

Check the states you will be traveling through, many require a braking system on anything over

2000lbs.

caredwoods
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all very much for your input, I really appreciate it ! I have considered the weights and the truck will be loaded heavier than the van. I know to cover the transmission as well . Thanks !

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Borrow a Brake Buddy if you don't already have one. I see you're already removing the driveshaft. Keep something IN or Over the back of the transmission or you'll have fluid running out. You CAN duct tape the rear universal caps in place so they don't get lost and dirt stays out of the grease. Then tie the driveshaft in place but away from the differential. It's then that plug you need. Just be sure fire certain it's very well secured. And nobody tries to drive the van...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
I'd add a bunch of weight in the bed of the F150, sand/concrete bags, something to increase the rear axle weight.
I pulled a Jeep CJ with a 1 ton SRW truck and could feel it back there, you have the weights reversed.
Key in the UNLOCK position so that the front tires can steer in the turns. If not it will push the rear of the truck.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed my Geo Tracker (approx 2500 lbs)with a full size E150 Ford van (approx 4500 lbs) and I could definitely feel it moving around back there. On my motorhome, no problem. I would be very careful about towing a vehicle about the same weight as the tow vehicle. JMHO

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
When towing a vehicle, the towed should not weigh more than the tower.
What are the weights of the two vehicles?
Based on an experience my son had, I would not do what you are describing!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Front wheels must be free to turn. However. Remember that you cannot back up, as the wheels will act as casters, and try to turn
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers