cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Post your motorcycle tow solution.

Guysakar
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel pushers are easy, just get a motorcycle lift like Blue Ox.

But what about Class A Gasser.

Blue Ox has a formula sheet to figure out if their lifts will work, but there are a lot of variables, and even then, they suggest adding airbags. Just seems like asking for trouble with a gasser.

Thinking about one of those swivel wheel trailers

But I am not too sure about them. Plus, I read one account of using this trailer, and the guy said he liked it, but his bike was filthy upon arriving at his destination (not sure why - exhaust? Tire kick up?).

Thinking of going traditional trailer rout, but it seems that pulling off to a store, an attraction, etc... would be even more difficult than usual, and sometimes impossible.

So, how do you tow your bike? What are your experiences?
11 REPLIES 11

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
mpierce wrote:

Please keep us posted. We have a sidecar rig, and this is about the only solution we can seem to find. Thanks

My Ural fits perfectly on our Kendon Dual Rail trailer. When not in use the trailer stands up in the garage and takes up less than 2 feet of floor space. Towing behind the motorhome is a breeze - haven't towed through a rain storm yet but the bike doesn't seem to get overly dirty on regular roads - but then Urals are MADE to get dirty anyway!
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

Robert78121
Explorer
Explorer

It's in my signature. It's a Versa Haul VH-SPORT-RO and allows me to use a toad as well as bring the bike along. Good thread in the archives on this very subject here.
Washington DC Area (NOVA)

Camper: 2004 Damon Daybreak 3285 WorkHorse 8.1
Toad: 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - BlueOx
Toy: 2012 Ninja 650 - Versa Haul VH-SPORT-RO

Spent three years full time, so I know a little about it.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gemstone wrote:
Cargo trailer, the scooters arrive clean, and they are out of sight.

Regards
Gemstone
I don't ride, but if I did, I think I would go with this idea, enclosed, out of site, out of the weather, & out of the road dirt & grime.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:

Do you mean a Rampage lift ? That's what I put in my Ranger.... I chose the ranger because of the light weight to tow behind the gasser and 4 down tow capability.

Yep. One of those. Ride the front tire into the cradle and push a button. Easy peasy.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
clhamon wrote:
I have towed 3 motorcycles to Sturgis, SD before behind our DP on a regular car trailer and the bike on the right front behind the DP exhaust was covered in soot. I am going tomorrow to pick up a used tandem tow dolly so we will be able to tow our bike and front wheel drive car behind us. I didn't want the extra weight of a lift holding a full dress Harley hanging off the back of our coach. If I get to the point I can no longer ride two wheels I will buy a trike and it will fit nicely across the floor of the tow dolly instead of the bike.

Please keep us posted. We have a sidecar rig, and this is about the only solution we can seem to find. Thanks

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Carb Cleaner wrote:
My Dad put one of those electric-lift, self-loading, winch devices in the back of his short bed, Ram 1500. They tow the pick-up. If there's a situation, he can detach the truck and my Mom drives the truck to where it's convenient.

Do you mean a Rampage lift ? That's what I put in my Ranger.... I chose the ranger because of the light weight to tow behind the gasser and 4 down tow capability.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
My Dad put one of those electric-lift, self-loading, winch devices in the back of his short bed, Ram 1500. They tow the pick-up. If there's a situation, he can detach the truck and my Mom drives the truck to where it's convenient.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

Take a look at Idaho Tote. They are well build and very sturdy. I used one on the back of our 5er for six years fulltiming. Carried a Yamaha Rhino and the last two years a Smart Car.

Idaho Tote

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Gemstone
Explorer
Explorer
Cargo trailer, the scooters arrive clean, and they are out of sight.

Regards
Gemstone
'06 Elite Suites TK3, '95 KW T-600, '08 Softail Classic , '06 Softail Deuce

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I pulled a Smart Trailer behind our 5th wheel for several years with no issues. I mainly wanted a swivel wheel solution because backing up a standard trailer behind a 5th wheel is problematic at best.

If I wanted to pull my motorcycle behind my motorhome, if I had a motorhome, I would find a nice small enclosed trailer or maybe something like this: Faired cycle trailer
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

clhamon
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed 3 motorcycles to Sturgis, SD before behind our DP on a regular car trailer and the bike on the right front behind the DP exhaust was covered in soot. I am going tomorrow to pick up a used tandem tow dolly so we will be able to tow our bike and front wheel drive car behind us. I didn't want the extra weight of a lift holding a full dress Harley hanging off the back of our coach. If I get to the point I can no longer ride two wheels I will buy a trike and it will fit nicely across the floor of the tow dolly instead of the bike.
Frenchie & Kat
2005 Country Coach
2007 Harley Ultra Custom
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee