cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pr0perty tax charge on RV Site

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Well, this is new to me. I've been located at an RV park in NC for about 1 1/2 years and received a property tax bill from Henderson County. I called the tax office and was told the tax applies to all RV trailers, the same as for manufactured homes. This applies to all of North Carolina. So, in addition to RV space rent one has to expect an additional bill for property tax. I've stayed at places all over the country and have never heard of such a thing. I suppose I got hit with the bill due to my extended stay at this park, but I've stayed at other RV parks for an extended length of time and was never hit with this tax before. Might just be a North Carolina "thing". What about you?
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
32 REPLIES 32

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a rented seasonal site in Central MN for quite a number of years. Our trailer always had a current license plate so it was not considered real property. I did have a small shed and a deck that had a screen enclosure. One year I got a bill from the local Assessor for property taxes on the shed and the deck. It was about $15.00. I paid it. Thought it probably cost them more than this amount to send out the Assessor, figure out who owned what property, come up with a value, send out a bill, collect the money and apply it to correct account. I guess they thought the same thing as they only did this for one year and I never heard from them again..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
bukhrn wrote:
It's probably like been posted on here many times before, if your Rv is registered in say, Montana, and you actually reside in another state for more than say, X amount of time, many states consider that ilegal, as some states, when you've resided in them for more than 6 month, you automatically become a resident of that state, and taxed as such. But I still don't see how they can tax you on an RV park lot, unless you own that lot. :h

I suspect the tax is on the RV, not the lot.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's probably like been posted on here many times before, if your Rv is registered in say, Montana, and you actually reside in another state for more than say, X amount of time, many states consider that ilegal, as some states, when you've resided in them for more than 6 month, you automatically become a resident of that state, and taxed as such. But I still don't see how they can tax you on an RV park lot, unless you own that lot. :h
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Not familiar with NCs PP tax but I do not see how they can tax you if you RV is currently tagged and registered in another state........ if it is registered in NC then yes............ I would go into the Commissioner of Revenues office but take your registration from your state. Just curious how did they know where to send the bill??

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
A state or local government must provide services { fire , police , EMT,et al } even if you are not a full time resident . I presume the county thinks that you should help pay for that service . We do not have to like it but we must pay or run !

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
mr. ed wrote:
Well, this is new to me. I've been located at an RV park in NC for about 1 1/2 years and received a property tax bill from Henderson County. I called the tax office and was told the tax applies to all RV trailers, the same as for manufactured homes. This applies to all of North Carolina. So, in addition to RV space rent one has to expect an additional bill for property tax. I've stayed at places all over the country and have never heard of such a thing. I suppose I got hit with the bill due to my extended stay at this park, but I've stayed at other RV parks for an extended length of time and was never hit with this tax before. Might just be a North Carolina "thing". What about you?
NC isn't the only state that has a "personal property tax" on Motor vehicles, boats RV's trailers and some other things. Virginia is one of those, but, the vehicles have to be registered in Virginia.
I don't see how they could charge you a (Real) Property tax, on land you do not Own but are only renting, the Park owner should be getting the tax bill.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry to say, you are considered a NC resident based on your extended stay. An NC drivers license and payment of additional taxes are probably in your future
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure it is a Personal property tax. Just paid my NC tax on my 2014 TT. The system in NC now ties PP Tax with your registration renewal.

In order to renew my registration I had to pay the tax. Same now with a motor vehicle.

I have a boat trailer that I use only at my boat ramp and not on the road so I do not renew the registration, therefore I pay no PP tax on it. I think the
same would apply to a RV.

Not sure if they would make you catch up on PP tax you missed if you later renew the registration.

I have rental MH too and there is a PP tax on them, but it is paid through the tax office. No DMV renewal required on MH as they are not on the road. If your RV is permanent on the lot this may be how you are being taxed. Only way they would know about your RV is 1- you renew registration thru DMV 2- you listed on your PP listing as a permanent RV 3- your CG was kind enough to tell the tax office about it

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
NC has a property tax on all vehicles registered in the state. Did you register your MH in NC? I suppose if you've been there a year and a half, you probably count as a resident.

http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/moving/

No, my fiver is registered in South Dakota.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I know places that would try to tax big boats that were registered to other state, if the boat would stay in another state more than half a year.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you may be talking about a PERSONAL PROPERTY tax. Not the same thing as (Real) Property Tax. Is that true? They cannot tax you on the land you do not own (the RV Park) but they can tax personal property. But you would have to be a resident of that state. Prove your residency is elswhere and leave there immediately.

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds to me they just thought it up that they can get more money like some of the cities have that Hotel/Motel Tax.

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
NC has a property tax on all vehicles registered in the state. Did you register your MH in NC? I suppose if you've been there a year and a half, you probably count as a resident.

http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/moving/
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
In SD, valid license plates are required on domicile used rvia constructed units, even when seasonal or occasionally used, in liew of property tax.
This a fairly universal assessment among states.
We have to keep license plates current on all occupied units or be assessed property tax.
Your state statute is just a click away.
Edit. The camp pays property tax for its land, owned units and assessment. Units on the land not owned by the camp are assessed or required to maintain valid license.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
At our permamante site the county came in and taxed everything that they said was an "attached structure" to lot. Small park models mostly. That created a big mess when people sold. When people sold their lot, even if park model was gone, the county paper work now showed a "structure" on the lot. That turned into even a greater mess. People followed the protest procedure at tax office and lost.

Stay mobile my friend
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"