cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Problem filling 5 gal LP tank - help please

klm
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Weber Baby Q grill and use a small, refillable 5 gal LP tank. Yesterday I took the tank to the cg LP fill and the tank would not fill, even after several attempts.

Tank is by Worthington bought at Lowe's.
1st fill was at this same cg by the same worker.
There is still some lp in the tank, it is not empty.
Tank is sending gas to the grill, just cooked dinner -works fine.

So, any ideas on why it wouldn't fill? The whole purpose of having this tank is to do away with those little green tanks!! Thanks for any and all suggestions.
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR
27 REPLIES 27

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
Many times, the inexperienced 'attendants' don't get the fill adapter screwed into the OPD valve on the tank tight enough to open the bottle valve and sometimes don't remember to open the service valve. These young guys are in too much of a hurry to do it right and don't care enough. Easier to say you have a bad bottle and send you on your way.
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
Of course air can be compressed. What it cannot do is liquify at these temperatures and pressures. So as liquid propane is added to a non purged tank the air will be compressed at the top of the tank and be joined by some propane gas. As you point out, not a good thing.

None of this would prevent the tank from being filled when it was emptied. There must be a problem with the safety features.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
wgriswold wrote:
How would the air in the tank due to it not being purged prevent it from filling?

Good question, I await the yammer as to why.

This is fact:

I keep hearing how the little screw on those tanks has to be opened so as to let the air out because air won't compress and let the LP in.

Say WHAT.. First.

IF the tank is properly purged. (If you buy it already filled it's been properly purged) then there is NO AIR IN THE TANK and has not been since the initial fill.

In this case. i'm not so sure.

Second. if air can't be compressed.. WHY do I have an air compressor in the basement (2 of 'em in fact) that I use to put air, Compressed, into my tires?

Oh, why do you purge the tank?

Well... if air is in the tank it's possible for an air/propane mix to get into the line and when it hits the burners.. Bad things can happen.. Thus the tank should be properly purged.

ANd.. At two campgrounds I stay at, I know for a fact the pump jockeys have been properly trained and know how to purge 'em. In one case because we talked about it.

And in the other.. They corrected the final exam in the same room I was sitting in.

Question: What happens if you get the right mixture of Propane and Air and there is a spark.

My Answer (Which the instructor approved of) You land 2 counties over.

Note: The funny answer will be remembered long after the "Explosion" which was on the test.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Just my opinion, but...
I don't think the purging has anything to do with your problem.
I think the OPD valve is stuck. I had one that did that once, and when I lifted it about 6 inches and dropped it on the concrete, the valve freed up and never stuck again.
I don't think there is any need to empty the tank before taking it in to have it checked. However, for your own peace of mind, call the distributor and ask him. He will KNOW what you need to do.
When you get the problem solved, please come back here and tell us what the solution was. There will be somebody, someday, who has the same problem.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
How would the air in the tank due to it not being purged prevent it from filling?
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
klm wrote:
OP back. Thanks everyone. I am thinking it wasn't properly purged. I did say it was a new tank, but probably didn't mention it needed to be purged. Worker just filled it. There is a propane dealer/distributor nearby, I'll take the tank there. Do I need to burn off the remaining lp before taking it to the lp experts? The tank is not empty right now.
I would, you paid for it !!!!
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

klm
Explorer
Explorer
OP back. Thanks everyone. I am thinking it wasn't properly purged. I did say it was a new tank, but probably didn't mention it needed to be purged. Worker just filled it. There is a propane dealer/distributor nearby, I'll take the tank there. Do I need to burn off the remaining lp before taking it to the lp experts? The tank is not empty right now.
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
This was a new tank? Did he purge it first? My guess he got some gas i. It the first time, but neglecting to properly purge the tank the first time is causing problems now. Take it to a certified propane dealer and have it properly taken care of.

x2 I had this exact problem
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm guessing you mean five pound, not five gallon. A typical bottle for a BBQ is five gallon which is twenty pounds.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Bang the bottom of it on the ground once or twice to free up valve.

X 2.
It may have a bad over fill protection device. Or release pressure when starting the fill process.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
This was a new tank? Did he purge it first? My guess he got some gas i. It the first time, but neglecting to properly purge the tank the first time is causing problems now. Take it to a certified propane dealer and have it properly taken care of.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Bang the bottom of it on the ground once or twice to free up valve.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like an air lock...my guess is improper first fill.

Since you say the new cylinder was filled for the first time by the same person at the campground, is it fair to assume that person isn't a pro?

I ask because new tanks need special handling- main concern is properly purging air. see this link
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien