cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane at altitude

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps a silly question, but I am wondering are there any adjustments that have to be made to propane burning rv appliances when camping at altitude? Or anything to look for in the flame/air mixture?
I'm thinking about some if the campgrounds in the Sierras, maybe 7 or 8 thousand feet.
Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I've camped at Leadville several times and no problems. I'd be more concerned if I stayed there a long time. For long stays I'd check the flame color and for sooting. Outdoor gas appliances like grills and turkey cookers go by different rules but I'd watch the WH, furnace, frig and anything else that has a limited space heat exchanger cuz they are more susceptible to soot clogging. When an exchanger gets clogged enough, raw gas rolls out and that's when fires start around the burner area. Appliances with a draft diverter have to be checked for proper drafting. The gas inherently derates itself (BTU content) as it goes up in alt. but not as fast as required for the correct air/fuel ratio, proper drafting and for complete combustion so the orifice size has to be reduced at some point. That's gas appliances 101 and that only scratches the surface! Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
No issues with the exception that the water heater door occasionally must be left open when camping above 9K'.

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be camping at 10K for the first time next weekend.

I've been told by our RV repair guy that our Norcold refrigerator may not be reliable at that altitude.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
High altitude problem post
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
Suburban furnace works at 10,400 ft.

My bud has one in his enclosed snowmobile trailer. We heat the trailer if we have to work on the sleds while on the mountain.

MKish
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've camped over 8,000 ft. and not had issues with water heater, cooktop, or furnace.

(We did have a portapotty swell alarmingly going over Tioga Pass though!)

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We go from TX at around 600' elevation to south central Colorado every summer at about 8,500' with no adjustments. Have never had any problems with range, oven, furnace, or water heater.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Actually.....Norcold/Dometic/Suburban/Atwood (fridges/water heaters/furnaces) have some sort of a statement concerning 'derating' of LP appliances above 4500' elevation.

Some posters HAVE had issues with mainly water heaters main flame staying lit when in high elevations. Having to keep compartment cover open in order to get/keep main flame lit.

Suburban does have a 'high altitude kit' for their water heater. It is composed of a smaller main gas orifice. Above 4500' change it out and then you have to go back to OEM orifice when below 4500'

We FT'd for 7 yrs. and been in many high elevations GCs and did not experience any problems with propane flames lighting off/staying lit. The flames were different but not a problem.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the response.. Since I've not seen any questions of this nature on this site before, I presume it not an issue, but I just had to ask...lol

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've camped at 9400 ft in western Wyoming with more than one rig over the years - never had a problem with LP.

The only issue was the pressure accumulator for the water - we live at 165 ft above sea level, and I adjusted the tank when I installed it. However, at camp, the pump pulsed like it did before the installation. I thought about it for about a half second and realized the accumulator was already expanded... I never did adjust it for that elevation as we only spent a week there.

I suppose some bright bulb will come up with the bright idea that he needs to adjust the pressures in his tires at those altitudes...

Enjoy your trip!
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L