cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane container not releasing propane?

alanmikkelsen
Explorer
Explorer
This is a new one for me. I took my propane bottles off the trailer and went to town to fill them and two other bottles. Hooked everything back up, turned on the bottles (30#'s), and cranked up the generator, started normally. Went around to the house tank, made sure everything was secure and went inside to light the stove and water heater. Nothing. Screwed around for an hour, nothing. finally went back outside and started at the tank to see if I had a line problem. Long story short, the propane tank itself was not flowing any propane. Pulled it out, hooked up another tank and presto, everything lit off instantaneously. But now I have a 30# tank full of propane with nothing coming out of it. The tanks were hauled in an upright position, everything should be normal. The tank is OPD. What's going on???
Of all the liars in the world, the fisherman is the most trustworthy...
21 REPLIES 21

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Take the tank and drop it from about 4" off of the ground 2 or 4 times. Hook it up and turn the valve on SLOWLY. That will fix it.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
HI,

Like stated above, if the tank is not tight, or the propane valve is slightly open, the overflow protection device might trip.

To reset the overflow protection device, shut the valve, and open it slowly. Then I normally shut it again, and open again slowly, and by this time there is high pressure propane on the outlet of the valve, and the OFPD will stay open.

Are you running a propane generator? Those can also trip the OFPD. Any time there is more than about 100,000 Btu's per hour leaving the tank, the device will close. And it will not open at all if the regulator is not attached tightly.

I would try the first tank again, and it will probably work fine.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
People keep saying NEW OPD Valves, there not new became law Oct 1998. IS THAT NEW? JMO
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to suggest turning off unhooking and reconnecting but since you removed I would say as others have, hook it to something and turn on slowly.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
have seen this many times when I sold tanks. people would bring them back as not working. put it on another device and they would work. open slowly and give that a try. some times they over fill them and the valve sticks

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The other thing is if the connection is not TIGHT,,

Well there are 3 valves in that valve assembly

1: YOU control
2: Excedss flow (explained above)
3:High temp shut off (Also loose connection)

The large nut contains a plastic part that can melt at relative lot Temps, compaired to brass,, Note this is still plenty hot. In the event of fire this melts and allows the nose of the connection to back out a bit from the valve body.. There is a valve, similar to a tire valve stem valve.. that is thus closed NOTE this valve is also closed if you disconnect the line from the tank.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
New OPD valves are a real pain sometimes. Close the valve, wait a couple of minutes and v e r y slowly open it. Go try lighting things again.