cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane gas grill question

AAFD
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the RV’s we have been looking at have low pressure (regulated) propane quick coupling. The smaller RV’s we are looking at have limited exterior storage so I have been looking at small propane grills, but all of them have regulators on them. Is there any way to retrofit these propane grill with a regulator to work with the quick connect propane hose?

Thanks

KC
2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
Towed Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
FMCA member
7 REPLIES 7

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
poppin_fresh wrote:
I apologize if I'm not totally following you here, but you can modify most grills to hook up to the quick connect fitting on the trailer.

I bought a grill last year and simply removed its regulator and retrofitted a coupler so that I could plug the grill into the (already) regulated quick connect port on my camper.

It took about 20 minutes in the hardware store to figure out the parts needed to adapt from the grill to the trailer, but it was all right there.

Hello,
Generally, the quick connects on most trailers deliver "regulated" gas, meaning they come off your propane regulator on the trailer delivering low pressure propane. You only want 1 regulator in the chain. I recommend you get a bbq with a removable regulator like the Weber Q series which has a regulator that easily unscrews. Then you do the conversion like I and other members did in the link below. Works fantastic. BTW, some members report they leave the regulator on the bbq and it worked fine, others report low flame with the 2 regulators in the chain. I've been running my Weber Q for about 3 years without the regulator and am very pleased.

WEBER Q CONVERSION
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
The one thing you need to avoid is a grill with the on/off/high/low knob on the regulator. You need to be able to turn the gas on and off once you remove the regulator.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
I apologize if I'm not totally following you here, but you can modify most grills to hook up to the quick connect fitting on the trailer.

I bought a grill last year and simply removed its regulator and retrofitted a coupler so that I could plug the grill into the (already) regulated quick connect port on my camper.

It took about 20 minutes in the hardware store to figure out the parts needed to adapt from the grill to the trailer, but it was all right there.
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Go to This place and the hose you need will be there. You want the one that says to convert the throw away bottle to whatever you want.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
A simpler option may be to install a T and a hose from the high pressure tank on the RV. Then you could connect any grill you want without modification.

AAFD
Explorer
Explorer
Napoleon TQ2225PO Travel Q Portable Grill was the one I was looking at.

KC
2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
Towed Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
FMCA member

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Yes but no one can say how until you know what grill you are getting.