Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane Line Issue???

kraisydave
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

Due to military my RV truck camper sat for a year. It is a 2014 livin lite. Got everything up and running except the fridge on gas and the furnace. The stove on gas works immediately and appears at normal strength.

Does anyone have suggestions on trouble shooting? I'm not totally sure, but it appears propane is not feeding the fridge. I was not able to smell it or feel it in the back of the fridge. I have to double check the furnace. Both igniters appear to be functional based on noise alone.

Thank you,

Dave
16 REPLIES 16

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
My manual tells you to push and hold the on button to purge air from the frig line. Don't remember how long, but we have had to do that after running out of propane. It took a minute or so of holding that button down. Yours may be different so check for instructions in your manual.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
In my mind I incorrectly assumed AC use would just cut all DC as a safety. Oops.

I would, too. When plugged in to AC shore power, the converter should provide 12 volt service without a battery.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
You know what Dave, we're gonna give you this one. After a year off doing your job, you deserve a brain fart or two. As soon as you readjust, camping helps, I bet you'll remember another thing or two you forgot.

Making an assumption that there were unfriendlies, Good Job, if there were not any, thanks for helping to keep all of us safe.

Dave
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

kraisydave
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you I will.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Read this to get yourself a little more familiar with the electrical system in your trailer:
The 12V side of life
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

kraisydave
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, my first RV ownership. Even though I've had it three years now, this was the first time I didn't have a battery handy. I never assumed that AC power would not be enough. But it makes sense as DC assist would be used with LP when off grid. In my mind I incorrectly assumed AC use would just cut all DC as a safety. Oops.

Thanks again,

Dave

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Well, another "Never Assume" lesson!
Apparently, we all Assumed the OP had done all the required steps to wake his rig up, including installing a charged battery!
Whoops...
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

kraisydave
Explorer
Explorer
Tried it all...found the issue. Totally my fault. The fridge will not work correctly on AC or gas without a DC battery installed. So, once I placed my DC battery back in line all systems began to act normal again. The fridge fired right up on AC and immediately worked on gas. Thank you all for the help.

Dave

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
Your LPG bottle excess flow protection device may be the issue. Close the valve on the LPG bottle, wait a minute, reopen slowly. Opening too quickly can trigger the excess flow protection.

If the cooktop works with apparently normal flames, I doubt if the excess flow protection valve is the culprit.
Is there a manual valve where the propane line connects to the frig? If so, did somebody turn it off and not tell you?

Most stove tops have a secondary regulator reducing pressure even further. The stove can appear relatively normal while the flow is restricted.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Your LPG bottle excess flow protection device may be the issue. Close the valve on the LPG bottle, wait a minute, reopen slowly. Opening too quickly can trigger the excess flow protection.

If the cooktop works with apparently normal flames, I doubt if the excess flow protection valve is the culprit.
Is there a manual valve where the propane line connects to the frig? If so, did somebody turn it off and not tell you?
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

kraisydave
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I'll crack the bottle slowly.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

kraisydave
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all. I'll get back after I run your tests.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The fridge "Sips" propane as opposed to the water heater and furnace which GUZZLE it. as it were. Your sniffer might not Sniff teh propane.

First I'd unplug and re-plug all connectors a few times

Then take a pocket compass and hold it next to the solenoid coil. have have your partner turn teh Fridge on and watch. if the coil gets power you will SEE it and likely hear it. Then listen for teh SNAP SNAP SNAP of hte ignightor

Then post back.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times