cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pros & Cons: Humidity Switch for a Fantastic Fan?

DesertHawk
Explorer
Explorer
My son is interesting in perhaps installing a Humidity Switch on a Fantastic Fan, but can't find anything on them. He lives in Alaska & has a Lance TC.

Anyone have one or know anything about them. Your Pros & Cons would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
:CDesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp
13 REPLIES 13

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
wborst wrote:
Check out the Air King DH55 de humidistat from Amazon.com. It is less than $20 and does not use any power. It is just a switch that closes if the relative humidity goes above the set point. Then opens when it falls below the set point.

Mope this helps.

Thanks, that is helpful to me.
Steve

DesertHawk
Explorer
Explorer
From what I understand, he is wanting a switch to turn the fan on when it become very humid in the TC, not to close the vent.

He has vent covers so it can be used when it is raining or snowing.

He wants to vent out humid air from the RV.
:CDesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
The more accessories the more potential for problems. Would a humidity switch work with a Maxxair cover? How about installing the cover and leave the fan vent open?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

wborst
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Air King DH55 de humidistat from Amazon.com. It is less than $20 and does not use any power. It is just a switch that closes if the relative humidity goes above the set point. Then opens when it falls below the set point.

Mope this helps.
Brenda, Bill
Our little dog Madison has crossed the Rainbow Bridge
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire 40ft. Spartan chassis
400 hp Cummins ISL

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
imgoin4it wrote:
We used to call them a "humidastat". Mounted on the wall like a thermostat. Used them in sensitive computer environmental areas where if the humidity would get too high it would bring on the air conditioning to condense water from the air to lower humidity and if temperature was too cool would bring on reheat to warm the air control temperature. Haven't seen or heard of one in years, but could try heating/air-conditioning supply sources.

They're not uncommon for residential forced hot air heating systems, which tend to dry the air out and so are often equipped with a humidifier. Not all of the humidifier designs allow for controls (many are just wicking material in a pan that's kept filled with water by a float valve), but some do and those will have a humidistat somewhere. I guess other heating systems also dry out the air, but it's harder to incorporate a central humidifier in when there is no ductwork to circulate and distribute the air.

Apparently there are also such things as dehumidistats, which I guess differ mainly by when their contacts are open and closed. Home supply places (and HVAC places) have or at least can order both readily.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
imgoin4it wrote:
We used to call them a "humidastat". Mounted on the wall like a thermostat. Used them in sensitive computer environmental areas where if the humidity would get too high it would bring on the air conditioning to condense water from the air to lower humidity and if temperature was too cool would bring on reheat to warm the air control temperature. Haven't seen or heard of one in years, but could try heating/air-conditioning supply sources.

Both of my Fantastic Fans are controlled by wall thermostats.

You can select IN or OUT for fan direction and temp that fan comes on/off.
Fan in 'auto'......vent opens when triggered by t-stat and fan comes on at speed selected.
Then when temp is reached, fan stops and vent closes
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking of something like this.
My suspicion though is that it wouldn't be sensitive enough for controlling moisture in a RV (poorly insulated) though. And, of course, would want it to work on 12 VDC.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ours have a speed setting and also a temp setting along with rain sensor. Never heard of a "Humidity switch" on a Fantastic Fan.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ours have a speed setting and also a temp setting along with rain sensor. Never heard of a "Humidity switch" on a Fantastic Fan.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
FrankShore wrote:
What's a humidity switch and what does it do?

Thanks

Same question........

Mine have a 'rain sensor' on them.
It can activate with just condensation.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
What's a humidity switch and what does it do?

Thanks
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Hi DesertHawk,

I have thought of doing similar and look forward to hearing other responses to your question.

Steve