cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about fresh water tank sanitization

scarpi
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, I was planning on heading out on a trip a few days ago so I sanitized my fresh water tank, but my wife and I got bad coughs and colds. We are delaying leaving for about a week. My question is, if I sanitized the fresh water tank about a week ago, and it has been left dry, is it safe to just fill it with water and head out or do I have to sanitize it again? Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

scarpi
Explorer
Explorer
As usual, good ideas. Thanks all.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
The baking soda will neutralize the chlorine and eliminate any smell or taste of chlorine.

I always put in a small box of baking soda in a gallon of water to dissolve it. pour into fresh water tank with several gallons of fresh water and drive around the block a few times to allow it to slosh all in the side of the tank. I then run all faucets and then empty the tank and rinse out one more time.

Completely eliminates the chlorine.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
Only a week? You're good to go. Have fun.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

scarpi
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah I usually just rinse the bleach solution with fresh water then refill the tank again.

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
No need for baking soda, just rinse with clean water.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

scarpi
Explorer
Explorer
No I didn't put baking soda in it. I've never done that. Is that something that you always do after sanitizing? Do you do that by adding a water solution of baking soda to the tank and then you flush it out with fresh water before you add you drinking water to the tank?

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fill and flush a few times, fresh water.....have fun....

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
After you sanitized it, did you put some baking soda mixture in there to remove the chlorine smell?

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

copeland343
Explorer
Explorer