cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question on use of electric coffee maker in RV

pylotguy1
Explorer
Explorer
Taking my first RV trip in a Class C. Sorting out electrical use items and wanted to see what people recommend for making coffee. I have a small, 5 cup Mr. Coffee but cant seem to find how many amps it pulls. It should be about a 650 watt machine. Any suggestions on whether it would be suitable to use? Thanks for your help
33 REPLIES 33

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
We use our Mr. Coffee 12 cup unit when hooked up to shore power and sometimes when we're running the generator if boondocking. But I usually just use the old aluminum perc sitting on the propane stove burner to make the best coffee, as I don't like to run the generator early in the morning since quietness is our preference when camping out in the wilds.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
naturist wrote:
Do be aware that the 120 volt receptacles inside the RV are not hot unless you are plugged into shore power.
Or the generator is running or the inverter is on.

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Arnt those outlets hot when the gent is running ????
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
The metal plate on the bottom of the Mr Coffee should have all the info needed etched on it, including model number, wattage and warning label.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
We take along the one we use at home.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
We routinely use our microwave at the same time as our 12-cup Mr Coffee drip coffeemaker even though they're on the same circuit. We're currently connected to a 30 amp outlet and I just did that a few minutes ago in fact.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Do be aware that the 120 volt receptacles inside the RV are not hot unless you are plugged into shore power.

Explorer
Explorer
Why not make some real coffee. Buy an old time percolator. Reaaaal good coffee.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
A coffee maker like that is basically a resistor. thus the basic Watts = Amps Times Volts applies

650 watts/120 volts = just under 5.5 amps. or if using an inverter 55 amps at 12 volts. But make it 65 due to conversion loss.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
pylotguy1 wrote:
Thanks for your note. So assuming other electricals aren't in use, I should be able to plug it in on the inside as well?
Yup. Just like at home.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
650/120 amps
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Do you need five cups or will one cup work? There are one cup coffee makers but they probably draw as much but not for as long a time.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Another "Tip".

Bring along an extra 50 foot or 100 foot extension cord (like an orange one that's used for hedge trimmers or electric power tools around the house.)

Almost every campground (campsite) has both 30 amp and 20 amp receptacles at the power post. Some even have all 3: 50, 30, and 20 amp receptacles. Now, plug your camper into the appropriate receptacle (probably the 30 amp). And then, plug in that 100 foot secondary household extension cord, and you can use it external of your camper. It won't pull anything from the camper or the electricity available for the camper.

When we run an electric heater inside the camper, it's always plugged in with an orange cord, separate from the camper. I also use the orange cord for cooking outside on our electric griddle and electric skillet. We now have 2 flat electric griddles, and if both are plugged into the camper and the air conditioner and/or the water heater turns on, it almost always pops the breakers. Using the extra electric line, there is plenty of power for anything and everything.

So, if you have a 50 or 100 foot extension cord, bring it along. You'll find it very handy, especially if you want to plug anything into power outside the camper.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you only want to camp in major campgrounds or RV parks with electric hook ups? Personally I try to avoid such places and do almost all of my camping without 110V electricity. A simple Mellita filter system works great and only requires hot water from the propane stove.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
pylotguy1,

Invest in a Kill-a-Watt meter.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.