cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rats

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I need some advice, but I'm also writing this to vent a little. I dropped my RV off at the local repair shop because of a broken hydraulic line. When I went back to pick it up, rats had gotten into the wiring and destroyed it. The 12 volt wires going from the plug to the brakes and battery were completely chewed off. I assumed the RV repair facility would take responsibility for it, since it happened while the RV was in their custody. No such luck. They want me to pay $500 for the repairs.

I have two ultrasonic pest repellants in the FW - one at each end. I used steel wool and expanding foam to block all the openings where rats can get into the RV. How can you prevent the rats from chewing the wires? This is the second time that I've had to deal with this and it's cost me $2000.
28 REPLIES 28

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tripalot wrote:
I tried putting peppermint oil on cotton balls and put them in drawers of our M.H. when leaving it for storage. Went to pick it up and the cotton balls were saturated with mouse urine. Next time I tried putting fresh cloves in little bundles of gauze. That didn't work either - best way is old fashioned mouse traps - but check them often. Dead mice in a hot RV probably doesn't smell very nice.

I had a dog that use to gnaw on the coffee table leg, so I soaked it in hot sauce. The dog really liked it.

The rat problem is on the outside of the RV. The RV is parked in my yard where my dogs run, so I can't use traps or poison. The damage occurred at the RV lot. I don't know what reasonable precautions they could take to prevent this.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Put the wires in conduit.

X2
That peppermint oil may be like strawberry topping on the soy-based wire insulation the rodents like.

I sent my umbilical wires through Liquidtite and to a steel box where the wires are terminated.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
I tried putting peppermint oil on cotton balls and put them in drawers of our M.H. when leaving it for storage. Went to pick it up and the cotton balls were saturated with mouse urine. Next time I tried putting fresh cloves in little bundles of gauze. That didn't work either - best way is old fashioned mouse traps - but check them often. Dead mice in a hot RV probably doesn't smell very nice.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Put the wires in conduit.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
The suggestions I've seen say to soak a cotton ball. My plan is to wrap the wires in steel wool, spray it with peppermint oil, and then wrap it in Honda's rodent proof tape.

https://smile.amazon.com/Honda-4019-2317-Rodent-Tape/dp/B00AJTG3N0/ref=smi_se_mit_rcol_smi_2537928482?_encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0&pldnCmp=rcol&pldnCrt=my-impact

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious about the peppermint oil. How do you apply it? Leave on the wires? Saturate a cloth?

Thanks
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
K Charles wrote:
You said it happened twice, was it at the same shop both times? Maybe it wasn't their rat.

The first time it happened it was at my house. That's when I added the ultrasonic pest repellants.

I took the RV down to their shop a couple of weeks ago for a broken hydraulic line. I checked the brakes and lights before I pulled out of the driveway and everything was working.

When I went to pick the RV up at the repair facility, the wires that go to the 12 Plug on my truck were torn up. Several of them were hanging with the insulation completely off of them. A couple of wires were completely gone. There was just a stub hanging from the junction box. The wires to the electric brakes are some of the ones that were damaged and I would not have had brakes when I checked them at the house.

In addition, I did a walk-around with the service tech when I dropped it off, so we should have seen the damage at that time. They should have also noticed it when they worked on it and moved it around their yard. It was really obvious.

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the tips. I'll order some peppermint oil today. Two years ago I bought some granules that were supposed to deter animals from getting near my RV. It was supposed to work on pets and rodents. I spread it around under the RV and my dogs ran over and rolled in it. 15 bucks wasted.

Two years ago they got inside the RV and made a mess, so I blocked all the spaces around the plumbing with steel wool. The only time I've had problems is when the RV isn't plugged in and the ultrasonic pest repellants aren't working.

I got an e-mail a few minutes ago from the RV Repair facility telling me that they would review my complaint and adjust the bill accordingly.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
You said it happened twice, was it at the same shop both times? Maybe it wasn't their rat.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
X2 on the peppermint oil.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to General RVing Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
I once watched a Jude Judy episode where someone took their car in for a repair. While in the custody of the repair shop, the car was broken into and things were stolen. They had it posted they were not responsible for any damages. The owner of the car took them to court to pay for the damages and losses. Judge Judy ruled in the car owner's favor. Reason? The repair shop had responsibility for safe keeping of the car and they were negligent in their responsibility to keep the car safe while in their possession. Even though they claimed they were not responsible, they were. They ended up having to pay for the loss and damage.

I don't know the circumstances or the conditions of your repair shop, but it is something to consider. Small claims do not take lawyers and the cost involved. Just because they post a sign does not mean mean they are exempt. Something to think about there?

As Judge Judy is NOT A JUDGE but an arbitrator she does not have to follow the letter of the law. She can do what she wants.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I once watched a Jude Judy episode where someone took their car in for a repair. While in the custody of the repair shop, the car was broken into and things were stolen. They had it posted they were not responsible for any damages. The owner of the car took them to court to pay for the damages and losses. Judge Judy ruled in the car owner's favor. Reason? The repair shop had responsibility for safe keeping of the car and they were negligent in their responsibility to keep the car safe while in their possession. Even though they claimed they were not responsible, they were. They ended up having to pay for the loss and damage.

I don't know the circumstances or the conditions of your repair shop, but it is something to consider. Small claims do not take lawyers and the cost involved. Just because they post a sign does not mean mean they are exempt. Something to think about there?

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
your right,rats!!, the dealer has signs there not responsable for any thing. I use peppermint oil ,in my boats and rv no mice.I,d find a mobil tech in your area he,d fix the wiring and a lot cheaper than a dealer.he could become a good friend.