cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

recaulking seams on the roof

sele
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to recaulk the seams on my rubber roof any suggestions. I was going to use a silicon caulk but not sure after reading some other roof issues.
scott
9 REPLIES 9

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do it once with Eternabond putting it over the old caulk and worry no more good for about 15 years.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

super_camper
Explorer
Explorer
silver creek wrote:
Just curious, what is wrong with using silicone on the roof?

I wouldn't use silicon anywhere on an RV. I use dicor self leveling on the roof and Wurth Bond and Seal on vertical surfaces

fun4vern
Explorer
Explorer
Silicone is not compatable with epdm or tpo roofing material. Been in the roofing business a few years and the best I have found is a neoprene bases sealant called NP1. That is what manufactures like fibertite and firestone say you have to use if you want a 20 or better year warranty. This is for commercial buildings but the materials are the same whether on RV or building.

sele
Explorer
Explorer
thanks all
scott

mhawk4
Explorer
Explorer
silver creek wrote:

in my case, for some reason it didn't hold as long as dicor and the other adhesive sealant i use for the the sides of the TT, it peels off very easy after one season.
1997 Ford F350 7.3L DRW
2016 Keystone Hideout 31RBDS
Blue Ox sway pro, Stromberg Carlson A-frame cargo tray CC-255

Luis,Shelia,Noah,Gabriel
All about the family!!;)

silver_creek
Explorer
Explorer

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
kfp673 wrote:
If you have a rubber roof do not use a silicone. Go to your RV store and get self leveling roof sealant. It will settle over a few hours and do a much better job. Use silicone for verticle services

ditto X2 I just had mine done while it was in for vent covers.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
I just did my seams. Do not use silicon. I used dicor. There are other brands. Eterna bond tape looks pretty neat. There are plenty of how to on you tube. Clean seams first with mineral spirits. Also verify if roof is Epdm or the other kind. Lol tpo I think? Good luck! After hours of research I think it took me an hour. Kind of uneventful.

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a rubber roof do not use a silicone. Go to your RV store and get self leveling roof sealant. It will settle over a few hours and do a much better job. Use silicone for verticle services