cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refreshing cllosed fresh water system

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2015 3611rl Montana with a closed fresh water system, How do you sanitize the fresh water tank. There is a vent located at the rear of the camper to vent the system, this is where you used to fill the fresh water tank, but now you turn a knob at the city water connection to transfer water to the tank. Getting bleach back to the tank is a problem.
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
11 REPLIES 11

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Weldon wrote:
To sanitize 21/4 tsp. bleach in water. Or
1 cup bleach for 60 gallons- 3 hours. Or
2 cups bleach for 60 gallons - 1 hour.

Thanks

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
To sanitize 21/4 tsp. bleach in water. Or
1 cup bleach for 60 gallons- 3 hours. Or
2 cups bleach for 60 gallons - 1 hour.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
As an alternative, you can use Iodophor, which is safe for plumbing materials. It also doesn't have the strong taste which chlorine does. The only downside is it tends to stain plastics yellow/brown, so don't leave any treated water standing in a sink or toilet.

Star San (phosphoric acid - the stuff in Coca-Cola - and dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid - scary name, but non-toxic) is another excellent sanitizer, doesn't stain, leaves no taste. But, if not flushed out, it will foam like soap. But that can be useful, too, for sanitizing the tank. Fill it part way with the proper mix (1 oz/5 gallons), drive around a bit, and the foam in the tank will sanitize the unfilled part of the tank better than relying on other sanitizers splashing around.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mel B. wrote:
I have used bleach in all my rvs for years, However my son bought a new trailer in 2011. I can't think of the brand off the top of my head. But in his books and info from dealer I read that if bleach is used in FRESH or BLACK tank it would void warrenty, my son called the dealer and was told that bleach damages o-rings, rubber gaskets ETC. Anyway I still use bleach in my Montana, but I thought I would throw it out there.
Mel

Thanks for the information. I can see how too much bleach could damage rubber seals. In a deluded solution used sparingly I still think it will be okay,

Wife Sue

Mel_B_
Explorer
Explorer
I have used bleach in all my rvs for years, However my son bought a new trailer in 2011. I can't think of the brand off the top of my head. But in his books and info from dealer I read that if bleach is used in FRESH or BLACK tank it would void warrenty, my son called the dealer and was told that bleach damages o-rings, rubber gaskets ETC. Anyway I still use bleach in my Montana, but I thought I would throw it out there.
Mel

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:
fireman41 wrote:
Fill the garden hose with the proper amount of bleach before you hook it to the camper.

Do the whole water system while you're at it.

1/4 cup for every 15 gallons, fill the tank, let the bleachy water runs through the water system (hot and cold) for a while then let it sit for a couple of hours.

Drain the tank and refill with fresh water. flush out the piping until you can't smell bleach at the faucets.

I put 2-1/2 cups of bleach in the tank by putting the bleach in a garden hose and then connecting it to the city water supply inlet. I used the pump in the camper to flush all lines including the hot water tank. I then filled the tank with fresh water and ran that through the lines as well. Then I dumped the fresh water tank again and filled to 1/4. I hope that cleans the tank and lines.

Wife Sue

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

Flexible funnel fits into any fresh water inlet.

I use this funnel to add bleach to clean tank AND all the water lines too by pumping it from the tank thru all the water lines.

I also use this method to add antifreeze to winterize the entire RV by pumping it from tank thru out all the lines.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
fireman41 wrote:
Fill the garden hose with the proper amount of bleach before you hook it to the camper.

Do the whole water system while you're at it.

1/4 cup for every 15 gallons, fill the tank, let the bleachy water runs through the water system (hot and cold) for a while then let it sit for a couple of hours.

Drain the tank and refill with fresh water. flush out the piping until you can't smell bleach at the faucets.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Can you mix some bleach and water in an aquatainer and use the winterizing connection to pump it into the tank, then top the tank off with city water?

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
fireman41 wrote:

That is a better idea than what I thought about. Thanks

Wife Sue

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer