cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regional Weirdness Examples

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are currently staying in the Phoenix area and, like many regions around the US, there are some unique customs and habits that would seem down right odd anywhere else. The single strangest thing we have noticed is:

Raking the rocks!

They take a rake and pull it through the gravel to make distinct lines and patterns. It is a weird custom but actually ends in a neat and tidy appearance that really spruces up a location.

What weird things have you spotted around the country?
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"
116 REPLIES 116

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
michigansandzilla wrote:
Only thing I've noticed is the difference of the use of the term coke, pop or soda. ....
In New Hampshire it is called Tonic.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
shakyjay wrote:
JiminDenver wrote:
here in Colorado (New Mexico too) they make green chili and pork stew. It is the equivalent of Mexican gravy and is slathered on just about anything. I asked for it back east once and they brought me diced green chilies.

Sounds like you are describing chili verde.

They are close but green chili stew is a lot thinner and less meat than verde. Some doesn't have meat at all.

This recipe touches on the differences. click

Another regional thing is in Detroit a coney dog has the usual wet chili sauce. Go north to Flint Mi. and the coneys have a dry sauce made with ground up hot dogs.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:
I put ketchup on mac and cheese - top that!

I put ice in my glass of milk. Apparently that's weird...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
pompomgirl wrote:
I LOVE blue cheese dressing on a baked potato, but that's just me, not a regional thing.

Isn't blue cheese good on anything.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
wife native born calif

she dips her french fries in "ranch dressing",
now shes got me doing it

must be a 'her thing', i never see anybody else doing it

i like black pepper on my french fires

My wife dips her fries in mustard, but no I still just dip mine in ketchup or fry sauce. I like salt, and pepper on mine, but I like pepper on most anything.

pompomgirl
Explorer
Explorer
I LOVE blue cheese dressing on a baked potato, but that's just me, not a regional thing.

MrWizard
wife native born calif

she dips her french fries in "ranch dressing",
now shes got me doing it

must be a 'her thing', i never see anybody else doing it

i like black pepper on my french fires
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Rice
Explorer III
Explorer III
skipnchar wrote:
One of the strangest I've encountered is the driving on the shoulder in Texas. I believe they refer to just about any two lane with a 4 foot shoulder as "a Texas Four Lane". They would arrest folks for doing that in many states (including mine). The only scary thing for me is trying to figure out what I'd do if I had a flat tire. Thinking maybe park in the middle of the road lol cause almost NOBODY drives there.

I grew up in a rural part of west Texas and it was common practice to drive on the shoulder in order to let someone pass. Never gave it a second thought, until I gave it a second thought. What the what??

It's insane. There's all kinds of debris on the shoulder, and on the rare occasion you crest a hill or come around a bend, you're coming in blind in a lane that might be harboring a disabled vehicle or deer carcass or who knows what.

I had a huge line of pickups behind me a while back because they wouldn't pass me because I wouldn't drive my 30,000 pound motorhome and toad on the shoulder. I'm usually very sensitive about being in the way but tough tacos for them.

The thing is, if you want to pass and it's not safe to be in the oncoming lane, maybe you shouldn't be passing! The last thing you need is to be three abreast on a 70 mph two-lane road, with one going in the opposite direction.

What really got me was that nobody would pass even when there was no oncoming traffic at all, i.e., safe to pass. Crazy.

Also crazy is the "Pittsburgh Left," where the first car turning left at a stoplight jumps the green (or relies on oncoming cars to yield because they know about the convention) to turn left before the oncoming traffic starts coming straight through.

Lon-Str
Explorer
Explorer
skipnchar wrote:
One of the strangest I've encountered is the driving on the shoulder in Texas. I believe they refer to just about any two lane with a 4 foot shoulder as "a Texas Four Lane". They would arrest folks for doing that in many states (including mine). The only scary thing for me is trying to figure out what I'd do if I had a flat tire. Thinking maybe park in the middle of the road lol cause almost NOBODY drives there.

Another that I've noticed in a NUMBER of different areas is folks drive almost every night with both headlights and fog lights on but when it's foggy during the day they don't bother turning either of them on at all. Never did understand either one of those myself. :H

If you are down here and want to drive anywhere near the posted speed limit, you better be on the shoulder if you care anything at all about the rear of your rig.

Kevarino
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:

On hiking trails and on the beaches of California folks will stack rocks. You see these stacks of 4 to 8 rocks, stacked on a larger rock.

How to Read Stacked Rocks When Hiking
Kevin and Barbara
2007 Winnebago Tour 40 TD
Cummings ISL 400

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Ma and everyone else around crumbled corn bread into a glass of buttermilk. homemade buttermilk is pretty strong.
They called soft drinks dopes.
wif came from Michigan. She still sometimes calls soft drinks Pop.

jdog
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
In farm country around Cincinnati, it isn't unusual for total strangers coming in opposite directions to raise a single index finger as they pass each other. They all drive with both hands on the wheel at 10 and 2 and their eyes never leave the road in front of them.
A friend of mine was opening a new bar in Cincinnati. He was going to name it "Past Times Saloon" and needed old farm junk to hang from the ceiling. I rode with him out in the country to check out used furniture stores, and told him about the custom. He giggled like a little kid when he tried it. Good thing I went with him. He didn't have a clue what he was looking at in those "well used" furniture stores. Poor little city boy. 🙂

A lot of people do that here in California, but they are not being friendly!

jdog
Explorer
Explorer
Living in Northern California, we hear people from other states refer to San Francisco as "FRISCO". No one around here calls San Francisco "FRISCO".

jdog
Explorer
Explorer
Lady down the street vacuums her front yard, the street in front of her house, and the street gutter with a shop vac every week. She also put interior tiles on her porch and steps.

jdog
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
I put ketchup on mac and cheese - top that!

So do I!