cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Repair shop warning! Leo's Vacation World

MdMike1007
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a leftover new 5th wheel at Leo's in Gambrills, Md in 2012.

It is a 2011 Heartland Elkridge model 29bhck.

It has been from Md to Montana, and most National parks in between.

Last summer, when returning from Montana, I had an issue with the black tank valve staying open.

Upon return to Md I had Leo's service it. They claim they repaired a cable. My next trip out (2 weeks after return from shop) the tank was still leaking as the valve was not closing.

I again returned it to Leo's and they replaced the cable. Next trip out a week later it was leaking yet again. So I returned it one more time and they replaced my valve.

They also butchered the underbelly corplast rather then dropping it to make all of the repairs. I was assured this time it was fixed.

Next trip out it was leaking into the underbelly behind the corplast. I called again (this was in late May and was told it could not be repaired until July!

I had vacation plans in July and August!

I found another shop to repair it. They checked out the valve to find the seals installed incorrectly and Leo's had overtightened the bolts on the flanges and cracked the plastic!

They also fixed the horrible sealing job that Leo's had done around my piping and revealed the belly with a better grade tape. The cost was $510. I was reimbursed for the repair by my extended warranty company.

Word of the wise: AVOIDE LEO's vacation World in Md. AT all costs. A 10 year old would do a better job in repairing your rig!!
9 REPLIES 9

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
MdMike1007 wrote:
I purchased a leftover new 5th wheel at Leo's in Gambrills, Md in 2012.

It is a 2011 Heartland Elkridge model 29bhck.

It has been from Md to Montana, and most National parks in between.

Last summer, when returning from Montana, I had an issue with the black tank valve staying open.

Upon return to Md I had Leo's service it. They claim they repaired a cable. My next trip out (2 weeks after return from shop) the tank was still leaking as the valve was not closing.

I again returned it to Leo's and they replaced the cable. Next trip out a week later it was leaking yet again. So I returned it one more time and they replaced my valve.

They also butchered the underbelly corplast rather then dropping it to make all of the repairs. I was assured this time it was fixed.

Next trip out it was leaking into the underbelly behind the corplast. I called again (this was in late May and was told it could not be repaired until July!

I had vacation plans in July and August!

I found another shop to repair it. They checked out the valve to find the seals installed incorrectly and Leo's had overtightened the bolts on the flanges and cracked the plastic!

They also fixed the horrible sealing job that Leo's had done around my piping and revealed the belly with a better grade tape. The cost was $510. I was reimbursed for the repair by my extended warranty company.

Word of the wise: AVOIDE LEO's vacation World in Md. AT all costs. A 10 year old would do a better job in repairing your rig!!

Horrible!

What B. O. said.......
Glutton for punishment!

Maybe an AVOIDE LEO'S was in ORDERE SOONERE -

ALONGE WITHE the shope that charged $510. for the final repaire..:R

Yep - a ten year old could do the job.

However you did verify - some folks *should* purchase an extended warranty...:W

MdMike1007
Explorer
Explorer
I think there may have been some changes in their service dept. since then. The service manager, at least my dealing with him is shady. They have lost many of their decent mechanics as well. The guy that did my valve repairs at Leo's was a laborer for a heating and A/C firm that closed. So he went to work for them.... The sales folks are nice and I felt like I was treated well there. Just their service dept. is lacking!
RoyB wrote:
I am sorry to hear about your misfortunes with LEO's RV in Gambrills MD...

I got my STARCRAFT 14R/T OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer from them in 2008. Got a great price and all was setup and serviced to my satisfaction then. Also added additional SRM-24 GP24 batteries at a great price. They installed an optional 13,500 Air Conditioner for the roof of the POPUP which required additional bracing and all. Excellent job doing that.. Have gone back to shop in their store front several times...

STARCRAFT later on came out with a recall-fix for the roof lift cable on my series POPUP and I brought my POPUP TRAILER back for that fix at no cost. That was a lot of disassemble required to replace the smaller roof lift cable to a larger capacity like cable. All went well with that.

Got great help and recommendations from the service manager when I changed out my older Single Mode Converter/charger unit to a smart mode larger capacity converter/charger unit in 2009.

I am happy with their service with my OFF-ROAD POPUP... This was during the 2008-2009 time frame...

Roy Ken

MdMike1007
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Whoa! $510.00!! I just replaced a cable on one of my valves and resealed the Coroplast. Took about an hour. If I had to replace the valve maybe one more hour. I was in the wrong business when I worked. Consider yourself very lucky that your service contract kicked out that much money for an easy repair...

B.O.

There was more involved... They also fixed some buggered plumbing that Leo's had re plumbed that was incorrect as well.

I got my reimbursement. Not from Leo's but my warranty company paid it in full. They have since dropped Leo's as an authorized shop.

MdMike1007
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
Thanks for posting Mike. If you don't mind my asking, where did you get quality repairs done? I'm up the road a little ways, hope I ever need a dealer for repairs.

I have purchased some parts at Leo's before, because they were the closest dealer that had Northwoods Mfg parts. The place seemed a little rundown back then.

Jim Donnies in Glen Burnie. They are on Dorsey Rd west of 97.

Have had several things done there and always fixed in the timeframe and never any return work.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whoa! $510.00!! I just replaced a cable on one of my valves and resealed the Coroplast. Took about an hour. If I had to replace the valve maybe one more hour. I was in the wrong business when I worked. Consider yourself very lucky that your service contract kicked out that much money for an easy repair...

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are a Good Sam member I would suggest you contact the action line or whatever Good Sam calls it and ask for financial compensation from Leo's.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am sorry to hear about your misfortunes with LEO's RV in Gambrills MD...

I got my STARCRAFT 14R/T OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer from them in 2008. Got a great price and all was setup and serviced to my satisfaction then. Also added additional SRM-24 GP24 batteries at a great price. They installed an optional 13,500 Air Conditioner for the roof of the POPUP which required additional bracing and all. Excellent job doing that.. Have gone back to shop in their store front several times...

STARCRAFT later on came out with a recall-fix for the roof lift cable on my series POPUP and I brought my POPUP TRAILER back for that fix at no cost. That was a lot of disassemble required to replace the smaller roof lift cable to a larger capacity like cable. All went well with that.

Got great help and recommendations from the service manager when I changed out my older Single Mode Converter/charger unit to a smart mode larger capacity converter/charger unit in 2009.

I am happy with their service with my OFF-ROAD POPUP... This was during the 2008-2009 time frame...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for posting Mike. If you don't mind my asking, where did you get quality repairs done? I'm up the road a little ways, hope I ever need a dealer for repairs.

I have purchased some parts at Leo's before, because they were the closest dealer that had Northwoods Mfg parts. The place seemed a little rundown back then.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Post your review at rvservicereviews.com
Traveling with my best friend my wife!