cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Tank Contamination ( Long )

quasi
Explorer
Explorer
We just picked up a used Redwood and I have no idea about the history or maintenance. When I picked it up, one of the first things I did was drain antifreeze and attempt to sanitize the system. However, no water would drain from the freshwater holding tank so I tried a probe and when that didn't dislodge anything, a short blast of compressed air got things flowing. I noticed no antifreeze here though.Proceeded with my normal chlorine bleach sanitation routine and considered the matter resolved. I am finding that all of the aerators at the faucets are become clogged over a short period of time with a fibrous material. I suspect algae but have no foul taste or odor. When I decided to repeat my sanitation routine, the tank drain was again clogged with a clear, slimy semi-solid. Any ideas? I'm going to take a page from the pool guys and hammer the potable water system with chlorine at about 10 times my normal concentration for a week or so and that should kill anything growing but I'm wondering if anyone has used copper sulfate as a maintenance addition.

Jim

Growing old is mandatory,
Growing up is entirely optional.

Remember, It's never too late to have
a happy childhood!

10 REPLIES 10

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Laman wrote:
Tvov wrote:
Laman wrote:
Don't use copper sulphate in your system as it will be corrosive to any metal it comes in contact with unless you use extremely low rates. BTW I sell copper sulphate products but this would not be a good use. Chlorine or hydrogen peroxide would be more efficient.

I'm not sure I understand. Is there copper sulfate in camping anti-freeze or something else? I don't think I've seen copper sulfate available for RVs... unless it is in a product named something else?

The OP asked about using copper sulphate thus my comment. There are a number of copper sulphate products used in pools and other water treatments, you would never find it in anti-freeze.

I completely missed that.

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Laman wrote:
Don't use copper sulphate in your system as it will be corrosive to any metal it comes in contact with unless you use extremely low rates. BTW I sell copper sulphate products but this would not be a good use. Chlorine or hydrogen peroxide would be more efficient.

I'm not sure I understand. Is there copper sulfate in camping anti-freeze or something else? I don't think I've seen copper sulfate available for RVs... unless it is in a product named something else?

The OP asked about using copper sulphate thus my comment. There are a number of copper sulphate products used in pools and other water treatments, you would never find it in anti-freeze.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Every time I have used RV antifreeze, my aerators have plugged up. This Spring I had to soak them to free up the gunk.

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know about the chemical approach, but after seeing my tank in person, I can understand how so many can have contamination issues.

If your tank is a side discharge, ie, the suction line comes out of the lower side instead of the bottom of the tank, then even after you drain it, there is still about 1" of water left that simply will never drain or be picked up by the pump. If you continue to flush and dilute the remaining water, you may eventually get it all. But, I have some suspicion it will take a looooong time to complete. If you know which side the discharge is on, you can park the trailer on a slant to facilitate more effective draining. Failing that, you might be better off to suction the tank out remotely or remove it completely and flush it with fittings removed. Then you know what you have and can trust that it's not contaminated. I wish they'd put the discharges on the bottom of the tank and mount it in the trailer pitched to the discharge. Then when it's empty....it's truly empty!
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Laman wrote:

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Scott, just an FYI - You don't put the antifreeze in your tank. You pump it through a by-pass and into the lines.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The last time I used RV antifreeze (4 years ago) I had the same slime occur in my system. I've had it since new and sanitize every spring so I know the tank was clean. I always figured it was just an issue with the AF - maybe a bad batch.
Anyway, I bleached it a couple times to get it all out.

Now I just blow it all out with air and skip the AF. Works better and I don't have to deal with purging it from my tank and lines.

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
FLUSH FLUSH AND MORE FLUSH!!

Sounds like your doing the right thing. Check your pump strainer too and make sure it is not getting clogged. Maybe after the next sanitation run city water through the faucets and let the grey run out. Can be an issue depending where you live though

Chris
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Quad cab
B&W 20K turnover ball, Proline custom flatbed
Tekonsha P3
2015 Open Rang Light 311FLR

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Just chlorine - but I agree with your approach. Up the dosage and the time.