Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rest Areas Closing in Many States

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Rest Areas Closing in Many States --
Clicky

We have seen many rest areas closing in recent years in Arizona and California, both on interstate highways and state highways. Unfortunately they are often located on long stretches of road with few and infrequent travel plazas (I-17 North, I-10 from Phoenix to L.A., and I-8 from Phoenix to San Diego for example).

It's unfortunate some states aren't finding the funding to keep these rest areas open. I agree with the article that it is a safety issue for both truckers and private motorists.
25 REPLIES 25

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Not closing in Nv

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Changed my mind, sounded like I was bashing my own Home State.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

jrobert01
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
jrobert01 wrote:
down home wrote:
Many have been shut down in Tn and turned into rest stops for Semis only. some are just closed.
However they are about to raise gas taxes by six cents and diesel taxes by ten cents.
Won't go for this cause though. New stadium, in the future, in Nasville and, to help Developers with roads in Oak Ridge area etc.
Where in Tn.are they changing them to truck only areas and where have they closed any.That is what the tax is supposed to be for and road work and rebuilding bridges infrastructureI hope they don't close any the state budget is in good shape i am told.

Recently, on my way to Goodlettsville, TN, to the Prevost center for service, I noticed two 'truck-only' rest areas between Jackson and Nashville (one on each side of the Interstate). To me, they looked like they might have been a weigh station or something.

Some of the rest stops are so small the Trucker/Driver's don't have a enough room to park. I have driven through several rest area's and left because there was no room for us to stop. I have stopped along the interstate in the emergency lane to use my own restroom (hate to do that, but no choice).

Safe travels,
MM.
I know a few that closed but for safety reasons and other reasons but they were just a place to get off the interstate no facilities.I live close to Oak Ridge in N.E,Tn,

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:
fulltimedaniel wrote:
I think that part of the problem is the trend in the last few years to "man" rest areas 24 hours a day by contracted "cleaning" crews. This was thought to result in decreased vandalism and lower crime.

What actually happened is that those contractors did what should have been expected. Low balled the first contract bid and steadiy rose their prices over time. What this results in is higher and higher costs states feel they cant get rid of.

There are plenty of companies out there making modular bathroom systems (see some Parks)that are virtually vandal proof. They are low maintenance and can be hosed down.

Other states have invested millions in overly fancy grandiose rest areas that are like mini cities. These soak up more millions in upkeep and those contractors. Thus smaller more humble but badly needed rest areas get closed.
Most of the larger rest stops in MN have an attendant on duty for part of the day. This is a State employee. He is tasked with keeping the interiors clean and functional. I believe they have separate grounds crews for trash pickup and landscaping. You really need to stop at one of these State Rest Areas to appreciate it. It makes a Hotel or restaurant restroom complex look like a junkyard, in comparison. Most of these are on the Interstate system. We also have smaller stops, maybe just a picnic table or two, on some of the longer State roads. There are at least three pull-offs I know about around the Mpls/St. Paul area that have either an artesian well or a hand pump for spring water. MN treats it's travelers well.

Actually, I think all of the MN rest stops have a attendee in them any time they are open. On the interstate at least. Maybe not, but have never seen one that didn't in SW MN. As you said they are a state employee. Not paid a lot but, the job comes with good benefits.

The smaller ones off of the interstate in my area did close but, there was nothing there anyway. In a way some of them are still there but, there is no sign pointing them out. Just a parking spot. And, some of them got turned into fields. Farmers like to plow up everything if the can.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
fulltimedaniel wrote:
I think that part of the problem is the trend in the last few years to "man" rest areas 24 hours a day by contracted "cleaning" crews. This was thought to result in decreased vandalism and lower crime.

What actually happened is that those contractors did what should have been expected. Low balled the first contract bid and steadiy rose their prices over time. What this results in is higher and higher costs states feel they cant get rid of.

There are plenty of companies out there making modular bathroom systems (see some Parks)that are virtually vandal proof. They are low maintenance and can be hosed down.

Other states have invested millions in overly fancy grandiose rest areas that are like mini cities. These soak up more millions in upkeep and those contractors. Thus smaller more humble but badly needed rest areas get closed.
Most of the larger rest stops in MN have an attendant on duty for part of the day. This is a State employee. He is tasked with keeping the interiors clean and functional. I believe they have separate grounds crews for trash pickup and landscaping. You really need to stop at one of these State Rest Areas to appreciate it. It makes a Hotel or restaurant restroom complex look like a junkyard, in comparison. Most of these are on the Interstate system. We also have smaller stops, maybe just a picnic table or two, on some of the longer State roads. There are at least three pull-offs I know about around the Mpls/St. Paul area that have either an artesian well or a hand pump for spring water. MN treats it's travelers well.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
This started under Alexander I beleive. The associations of motels etc felt that Travelers stopping for a few hours or overnight were taking away business from them, So close them and don't worry about policing and so forth.
I wish I had had an interest in recording these things over the years.
People use to travel and overnight or catch a few hours in the car and even packed lunches etc.
We had roadside tables on state highways. I think all of them are gone now.
however of 840 parkway nearer I40 I think there is a nice picnic area, maybe a couple. If the Governor didn't close them down.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
jrobert01 wrote:
down home wrote:
Many have been shut down in Tn and turned into rest stops for Semis only. some are just closed.
However they are about to raise gas taxes by six cents and diesel taxes by ten cents.
Won't go for this cause though. New stadium, in the future, in Nasville and, to help Developers with roads in Oak Ridge area etc.
Where in Tn.are they changing them to truck only areas and where have they closed any.That is what the tax is supposed to be for and road work and rebuilding bridges infrastructureI hope they don't close any the state budget is in good shape i am told.

Recently, on my way to Goodlettsville, TN, to the Prevost center for service, I noticed two 'truck-only' rest areas between Jackson and Nashville (one on each side of the Interstate). To me, they looked like they might have been a weigh station or something.

Some of the rest stops are so small the Trucker/Driver's don't have a enough room to park. I have driven through several rest area's and left because there was no room for us to stop. I have stopped along the interstate in the emergency lane to use my own restroom (hate to do that, but no choice).

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

ata3001
Explorer
Explorer
I guess for those w/o an RV, you just pull off the side of the road & take a piss next to your vehicle.
Ron & BJ
2008 Dutchmen Freedom Spirit FS180 w/full factory dark tinted glass. (9 .yrs w/o any issues)
2014 Chevy Silverado LT Dbl cab, 5.3 L, 4 WD, tow pkg, max payload pkg, Prodigy

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stat budget is great shape yet they are trying to force through a fuel tax. As bait they are going to let Nashville use money from fuel there go toward a new, Stadium. Other money for developers around Oak Ridge and east Tn etc.
This has been going on since,I can never thinking of his name when I want to, was Governor. On I 24 they closed one in Ruterford County and reconfigured it so it is now a storage for salt and gravel. Actually there use to be one on the other side of the road too. Then two down toward Monteagle Mountain are now just long semi over night stops. I would have to think a while to com up with all the ones I've seen over the year and I've not been on many sections of Interstate.

jrobert01
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
fulltimedaniel wrote:

Along my regularly traveled version of I-95(NE Corridor) I see mostly 24/7 rest stops that are also gas stations and food courts. I suspect they have more productivity, less overall crime, and a higher profit per sq ft than the stand alone rest stops. Seems like these type of spots take their business model from Pilot Flying J, 7/11, and TA, and are the wave of the current future. More often than not they also bear the burden of site upgrades as long as the contracts are written properly.

I can see some of the advantages of the s/s self cleaning bthrms at more isolated traditional rest stops with good lighting and CCTV added for good measure.
As for small contractors........as things currently stand this isn't their playground. Too much money has to be put out to win a state contract and all it entails.

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Virginia did that under Kaine and then McDonald opened them again a year later. It was a pain when it happens and it will just mean more people going to truck stops. If there is an exit I will pull off and go to the on ramp amnd park to use the facilities for a couple mins.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
When I hit a rest area that used to exist and now is closed, I make a special note to try to by-pass that state altogether. There is one state where I will pay the extra 0.10$/gal before I get there just so I don't have to leave any money at all in said state.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer