cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rising fuel, will it be any different this time?

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
When oil hit $120/barrel pushing gas to $5/gallon it really dropped RV prices and took a big bite out of my snowbirding budget. No longer foot lose and fancy free and see where the wind pushed me.

About two weeks ago I was walking a RV park and saw a used 5โ€™ver for $120k. Could not believe it. To me that was crazy, maybe not to others.

So how many out there think this time will be any different then the last RV crash and why. What is true for RVโ€™s should also hold true for home value, just will take more time since they are needs vs wants. Home value is crazy high also IMO.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.
47 REPLIES 47

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
When we sold our diesel motor home and went back to a fiver, I had several offers to sell my Fiesta hatchback since it was set up for the tow vehicle. I almost did a couple of times since used car prices are so high. BUT I didn't------now I have to figure out how to mount my fiver hitch on the roof without scratching the paint. The Fiesta gets 40 mpg. It will pull it right??:B
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like 'we're' preventing any and all oil production in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. For the love of Pete, it's ONLY a 19.8 million acre site but 'we' oppose drilling on just 2000 acres (about 1/100 of one percent of the Refuge)... that's 1/100th OF 1%.

The US hasn't opened a new refinery since 1975 and about 36 have been forced to close since 1980 due to too many rules and regulations.

Oh yes, and Covid is certainly to blame for just about everything (I ran out of Cheerios this morning -- I blame Covid).

:S
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
You might have a tough time finding $50 a nite CG out west

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
DW and I were talking about our upcoming trip out west later this Summer. We'll go as far as half of our "road trip" fund will take us.
I used $8 per gallon for gas,$50 per night for campground and $20 per day for food to figure our daily expenses. These numbers are high ( I hope) and should bring us to the west side of North Dakota,then we'll see what things look like. My concern is gas supply. Right now we aren't seeing any shortages but if we start seeing gas shortages this will really add a wild card to the deck.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some economists predict $200 oil by end of month so if true it will bite most of you

Latest news from bing news summaries is ever increasing high cost of nickel and predicted soon shortages of EV battery quality nickel (Russia) will continue to drive up the cost of EV vehicles along with the ever increasing cost of auto gas.

Enjoy the future everyone.

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I have several oil and gas leases. Explain to me why my oil production check for 3 wells went down $160 last check while the pump price is going up way faster than it should. Somewhere down the line someone is making a killing.

Kind of how prices at the gas station go up as soon as crude prices go up -- while the gas they've had in their tanks for 2 days didn't come from that expensive crude, and the gasoline that they'll get tomorrow didn't get refined from that expensive crude. And oddly, when crude gets cheaper, prices don't come down as fast as they went up. Someone's making that profit.

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
...But DC has some official advice, buy a Tesla...

i thought she said "Prius". :R

Either one is a good idea for a daily driver -- we have both, an EV (not a Tesla) that I use for the daily commute, and a 45mpg Hybrid (not a Prius) that we use for long trips when we don't take the RV.

Not having to pay for gas for the daily commute sure helps take the sting out of high fuel prices when we do take the RV out, we've got a 2000 mile trip planned next month and are preparing for $6/gallon gas.

dedmiston
agesilaus wrote:
Well gas not diesel is $7 a gallon in Cali

Fake news. Itโ€™s bad, but not that bad.

San Luis Obispo is the worst in the state except for remote spots like Death Valley. Itโ€™s about $6/gal in SLO.

Not that Iโ€™m defending the insanity, but the rumors arenโ€™t true (yet).

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have several oil and gas leases. Explain to me why my oil production check for 3 wells went down $160 last check while the pump price is going up way faster than it should. Somewhere down the line someone is making a killing.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
BarabooBob wrote:
I have been watching a camper facebook page based in Wisconsin. Every day I am seeing several "TT for sale" posts that say bought new last year, never used. I think may be the start of the fire sale,
Could be very interesting. I swore I am keeping mine another 6 - 10 years but never say never if the right deal comes along.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
rk911 wrote:
agesilaus wrote:

Oh yeah they are mad at Musk, he said "Drill, baby, drill" after all
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Exxon stock is up 62% in the last 6 months, My Valero stock is up 42% in the last 6 months. EPD up 16%. ET up 12%. Sunoco up 16%. Cheveron up 77% in the last 6 months. If not for petroleum stock price increases, I might go broke.

Are we going to see a repeat of guys making their own diesel fuel?

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
History will repeat itself. There will be a glut of campers both low end and higher end. $7 gas will take a greater toll on the lower income people than the upper income group. The housing bubble is sure to burst. More people will declare bankruptcy with its downward effects.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been watching a camper facebook page based in Wisconsin. Every day I am seeing several "TT for sale" posts that say bought new last year, never used. I think may be the start of the fire sale,
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired