3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Which do you use or any? and why??
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)
10 REPLIES 10

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Our toad has maybe 50k miles behind the moho, including AK. We don't use anything, and especially not the full width advertising flap under the MH. Yes, I find gravel at the base of the windshield sometimes. Grit on the roof. I've had so much mud and dust on the windshield I had to roll the window down after disconnecting and drive to the nearest hose with my head out the window. None of that has damaged the paint or the glass.

Point being the area behind a motor home in motion is a tornado of filth, and none of the solutions are meaningful. Or necessary IMO. I do have a chip in the windshield, from driving solo. I do have stone chips in the paint; on the doors from rocks kicked out by opposing traffic. Nothing's going to prevent that.

If you want to protect a toad, get an enclosed trailer.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Never needed one with 4 cars and two MH. Haven't had one issue. We have a mud flap across the back. It's saved the MH and toad from serious damage. Bent the heck out of it.

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
We have had a bra on our 2010 Chevy HHR for almost 5 years and it stays on most of the time. We towed the car for 12,000 miles and while the bra took a beating, the front of the car looked great and we will never tow without it. As for taking it off after a rain, we have never done that. I do keep a good coat of wax on the front end, and all of the rest of the car too, and never have seen any issue with the paint. I am sure the quality of the bra makes a big difference. We went for the best we could find rather than the cheapest. We did tow for a short distance without it and quickly reinstalled it. Chuck

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Roadmaster Guardian shield that sits right in front of my toad. Protects the car well.

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Standard truck mud flaps, just behind the duallies and about 3 to 4 inches off the ground. Toad has some VERY minor windshield dings, but think they are just as much from daily use as towing 25k miles...
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
We don't use one, but we don't run near ChipSeal.

If we did, I'd be interested in the one made from trampoline material. Forms a horizontal "blanket" between MoHo and Toad at towbar level. The stretchy fabric allows coverage on turns.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I use nothing when towing the Jeep.
For our cross-country trip a couple years ago, towing the PT Cruiser on a dolly, I bought a full front cover for the car. It was easy to put on and remove, and I guess it protected the front of the car (all the way over the windshield!), but it was probably a waste of over $400. We will more than likely never use it again, since we don't have the dolly anymore.
I guess I should find it and see if the rodents have chewed it up yet.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
3 dog nights wrote:
Which do you use or any? and why??

we use nada. never been an issue.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
We donโ€™t use anything and so far so good. I did buy a bra for the toad, but stopped using it as every time I put it on it rained and thus had to take it off to dry. Not sure there is a lot of value to either of the choices unless you go down a bunch of dusty/rocky roads.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never used/needed anything until the Alaskan highway with the Canadian chip seal roads plus dust. So what I learned.

If a mud flap is lower than 5" in can/will cause rocks to be air born. Rock guards can/do reflect rocks forward into the MH. Bras trap dirt which grinds on the finish and has to be washed even every day depending upon conditions. The best protector is the protect a tow type of shield.

All of this applies to the lower 48 roads, however perhaps less so on major highways.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob