cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof soft spot HELP

Calkidd
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 Sierra Sport toyhauler 5er where the ladder to access the roof is on the front driver's side of the trailer. I found a soft spot just to the left of the ladder where the nose cap meets the roof line. It is about 10"-12" in diameter.

There appears to be two metal strips that run parallel along the seam where the nose cap and roof meet held down by screws. I am hoping I can just pull up these strips or just the one closest to the roof line. Then remove a series of screws from the edging on each side and peel back the metal strip. I am assuming this will allow me to pull back the EPDM roofing and access the wood to repair.

Am I barking up the right tree? I am not sure if I should cut a strip of wood the width of the trailer or just from joist to joist.

Any opinions or suggestions?

Bryan
4 REPLIES 4

Calkidd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I am hoping the roof will peel back and isn't glued down too well.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
My old trailer had a leak in the roof. I cut out the EPDM roofing and fixed the rotted wood. I then used Liquid EPDM and "painted" a rubber roof back over the patch. The Liquid EPDM bonds to the wood and existing EPDM rubber for a seamless rubber membrane.

I'd suggest you give it a look.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Your plan sounds good. Do what is necessary to expose the soft area.
You may have to cut the roof rubber to get access. Don't let that bother you. It can be repaired and will be leak proof.

Use Eternabond after you make the repairs.

skiles
Explorer
Explorer
I had to make a repair to our TT early this spring for a soft spot/leak. Your plan sound reasonable. I had to cut ours to have the access I needed. I replaced plywood and used eternabond on the areas I had to cut. So far, so good. I would have some on hand prior to starting, IMO.
2009 Outback 268rl
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke