cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

using coach a/c while driving?

EASY_RIDER
Explorer
Explorer
Is it a good idea to use my coach a/c while driving on the highway?
Have been told it makes it easier on vehicle engine to shut off a/c and use the coach a/c (use of generator) while climbing steep mountain roads. any suggestions would be appreciated,
19 REPLIES 19

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Size of the rig and ambient temps are likely the deciding factor. Small C on an 80 degree Michigan summer day, or 40' A cruising thru Arizona in triple digit August heat...
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
mlts22 wrote:
I like running the generator while on the road, not just for the A/C in summer and heat in winter, but I save on propane by having the fridge on electric while going down the road. Suome fridges might get their pilot light blown out while in motion as well, so it is one less thing to worry about.

The pilot flame on the fridge is like a big lazy candle, even the burner itself is pretty feeble.

But to be a little more precise, there's approximately 91,500 btu's in a gallon of propane. Using as an example, a 12 cu/ft Norcold refrigerator that burns 2400 btu/hr. One gallon of propane will last about 38 hrs. if the refrigerator runs constantly. It doesn't though, so assuming it runs for 8 hours out of a 24 hr. period a gallon of propane should last about 5 days. If you have a 30 gallon propane tank it should run the fridge for about 150 days.

On the other hand, the generator probably burns 3/4 gallon an hour.

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Summer driving in Utah, we always use the Genny and roof air.
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I like running the generator while on the road, not just for the A/C in summer and heat in winter, but I save on propane by having the fridge on electric while going down the road. Some fridges might get their pilot light blown out while in motion as well, so it is one less thing to worry about.

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
I have ALWAYS run my gennie and the a/c(s) while on the road.
In my current class A the dash air doesn't work, the fan blows but the air isn't really cool. It probably just needs serviced (refrigerant).

When we leave for Oshkosh in late July, I start the generator while in my driveway, turn on the a/c(s), and I don't shut the gennie down til I'm set up in the cg the next day.
I do the same thing on my return home. Start the generator before unplugging in the cg. I don't shut it down til I'm parked on my driveway and plugged in at home.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
sch911 wrote:
PastorCharlie wrote:
Use the engine A/C only. A well insulated and powered coach needs no generator A/C.

Opinions vary and I suspect you would be in the minority here...

YES ABSOLUTELY! Run the generator and the roof A/C unit(s). Most of us do.

More like A VS C on a Ford chassis varies a lot.

A Ford class C has a 60k BTU unit, that's the equivalent of 4 roof top units.

RognBon
Explorer
Explorer
Anything above 75 degrees is too hot for us. I set both roof air thermostats to 72 degrees before we hit the road and then turn on the dash air. As soon as it starts to get uncomfortable (close to 75) I hit the dash start switch on the generator and let it run for as long as we are driving.
RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
On really hot days, we use both. Our Class C has a step up from the cab into the house. Plus the dinette blocks air to the passenger seat. The roof A/C doesn't cool the cab very well. Usually the dash A/C is enough to cool the whole camper unless it is really hot out.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
Use the engine A/C only. A well insulated and powered coach needs no generator A/C.

Opinions vary and I suspect you would be in the minority here...

YES ABSOLUTELY! Run the generator and the roof A/C unit(s). Most of us do.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

jorn
Explorer
Explorer
Check the search function on the board. This topic has come up many times here, as recently as the last 10 days or so. ๐Ÿ™‚
'16 Chaparral 360IBL & '16 Ram 2500 Cummins

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Running the house A/C and generator are often the only things that keep the Class A habitable in summer. The dash A/C is inadequate to the task, so why waste the mpg? Our generator ran all day on 100+ degree days as we traveled to/from Yellowstone last September, and had no effect on the mpg.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
You will not hurt anything by running the generator and house A/C while driving.

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
It is certainly OK to use the generator/house AC while driving.

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer
Dash AC mainly. Very Hot days, House ac's on genny.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800