cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rubber roof questions

chris_gaitan
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased my first travel trailer. I'm not a beginner but I've always had motorhomes. All my previous rv's have had fiberglass or other type roofs. This is the first rubber roof. The trailer is an 04 Fleetwood wilderness 32'. Its in incredible shape but has sat the last 6 years. I want to clean the roof and make sure I keep it in shape since its had no care the past few years. I went to a local rv shop to get some recommended supplies. The gentlemen pointed me to a couple products then told me that if after I wash it to wait a day. After that to take my finger and if the roof gives off any white chalk to my finger the roof needs replaced. Now that just seemed a bit much to me. So I come here to ask the experts. Is this the case? Is a white chalk the death nail to my roof? It has zero leaks and I just can't imagine it would need replacing so soon. Is there a coating I can apply to the roof to make it last, and finally what should I really do maintenance wise to keep it healthy? Thanks in advance
14 REPLIES 14

chris_gaitan
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
ScottG nailed it. You don't have to do anything except caulk the seams on these roofs. People that clean it are only doing it because they want it to look nice. It doesn't extend the life to have it clean.

I would replace the caulk seams with Eternabond (you have to clean the chalky residue off to properly install the Eternabond) and worry more about the tires that have been sitting for 6 years.

Yes indeed I will be replacing the tires and the awning fabric since both are bad. Besides these 2 issues the trailer is in great shape. Still has tags hanging from appliance. The PO bought it brand new and barley used it. I know them so I got an insane deal on it. So the tires and awning are not even a worry for me to replace. I very happy to here though from so many that the roof is a non issue

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
chris gaitan, I have an '02 Wilderness, I think its a great camper for the money. 6 yrs old when I bought it, don't know what the PO did for roof care. I had it cleaned and treated exactly once since I've owned it. Roof is starting to show its age.

See this:

Don't know if cleaning / treating would have made a difference or not, but its about chalked out in a couple places. Looking at my options now ๐Ÿ™‚
Tin Pusher's Guide To Successful RV'ing: "Don't get mad, don't get in a hurry"

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG nailed it. You don't have to do anything except caulk the seams on these roofs. People that clean it are only doing it because they want it to look nice. It doesn't extend the life to have it clean.

I would replace the caulk seams with Eternabond (you have to clean the chalky residue off to properly install the Eternabond) and worry more about the tires that have been sitting for 6 years.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

snapper388
Explorer
Explorer
I was told the same thing about mine, I cleaned mine with dawn detergent & water let it dry, sealed the edges with dicor and coated the roof with rubber roof coat. 2 years and still in good shape. roof coat is $40.00 at lowes and & 80.00 at camping store.
David

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The salesman doesn't know what he's talking about. The roof will naturally chalk as it ages. About the only time it won't is right after you clean it.
BTW, you don't have to clean it or do anything except inspect the sealant on it every year. It's a commercial roof and designed to be ignored its whole life.

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
Call Dicor and see what they recommend.(I think that Spic and Span will NOT be one of their recommendations.)
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

wbrown62
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing dire with the chalk. Its just a form of oxidation. Wash with Spic n Span (actually recommended by at least one rubber roof manufacturer) and check very, very carefully all seams and seal as necessary. Dicor was a good recommendation.
2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado

chris_gaitan
Explorer
Explorer
I was pretty sure that just couldn't be correct. I know this place has had issues in the past with recommending repairs that are not necessary. I'll get some Murphy's oil soap and go to work. I just wasn't sure if a coating like dicor was needed or not. I inspected all seams vents and other leak areas and all looked in great shape but since I have no experience with the actual rubber roof material I felt like I needed the experts advice

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
Wash it with any mild soap that does not contain petroleum or citric acid. I use and recommend Murphys Oil Soap. If the roofing material is EPDM do not get too agressive.
The chalking is the normal sluffing off of the top layer and not a major concern.
Some of us apply a UV protectant such as Aerospace 303.
There are several products available for coating the roof, Dicor rubber roof coating is one of the best.

Welcome to RV.Net
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
Roof needs replaceing??????
Those people are bad misinformed or they must be the biggest LIERS that I have ever heard !!!!
Stay away from that shop, except to report him to his employer, which may have told him that.
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
It's normal for a rubber roof to Chalk.

I have a 96 Southwind with a rubber roof. It chalks but, the roof is in good condition. I wash it one or two times a year.

NCKZ_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Scrub the roof with Spic & Span. Keep sidewalls wet when doing this! Dry for a day. Put new Dicor self leveling sealant around every place where there is existing sealant. Use non leveling sealant where roof meets sidewalls and then seal with a quality rubber roof treatment over entire roof after sealant has set for a few days.

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
Never heard that...but I can't imagine an RV sitting 6 years and not needing attention to the caulk, seams, etc. I'd plan on doing that also.
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

chris_gaitan
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to add that I live in the high deserts of southern California so not much rain and very little humidity. Don't know if it matters but thought I'd add it