cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV can’t make it into driveway. Bottoms out hard.

92GreenYJ
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all. So we just purchased our new 32 foot Sunseeker and upon getting it home discovered a bit of a problem. While I have plenty of space for it in the driveway, I can’t actually get it up into the driveway. The hitch guards scraped just a hair turning onto my street, but turning into the driveway was a huge can of worms. I got the RV about halfway in when I heard the guards start to scrape the asphalt in the street.

Me being me I decide to back it up and give it a bit more speed. Big mistake. I hit a point where the hitch guards dug into the sphalt so much that I couldn’t move either way. Tried putting some 2x4s in there. No joy. It was stuck good. So I hooked up a strap to my Hemi Ram 1500, tossed the wife in the drivers seat of the coach and yanked it out with the truck.

So for right now it’s parked on the street until I figure out what to do about this. I ordered a set of rollers to go on the bottom of the hitch but I’m not sure that’s gonna be enough.

Because the big dip at the bottom is right at the street I don’t think I could have the driveway leveled out at the bottom out into the street. Not sure if putting a culvert in there would fly with the county but I suspect not.

What have you guys done in this situation? Heavy duty ramp of some kind from driveway to street to raise it enough that the ass doesn’t drag?
Dump a yard of pea gravel at the bottom to build up the dip? (Again not sure this would be allowed)
Open to suggestions.

Here are a couple of pics of what I am dealing with.

77 REPLIES 77

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is that parking going to pass muster with the city? I mean it's blocking the easement/sidewalk area. And right up against your neighbor's property line. If your city lets that go after your neighbor rats you out, then it's a much more liberal city than ours.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I’m in a rural area and still must have a driveway permit to do anything with the transition from street to driveway. Be careful with that project, the powers that be might make things worse for you.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
camperdave wrote:
You can do it. Experiment with turning in with more angle Build up ramps with wood, they will be big and heavy but who cares. You only use them at home.

I store my RV on a hill too steep to run the fridge. No big deal, I just load with some ice and turn it on when I go. Beats paying for storage!

X2!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
92Green..... Good job, I wasn't sure if it was going to work for you. It looks like some minor modifications to the driveway will allow you to pull in with minimal problems.

Safe travels,
MM.

PS. I had a '72 Dodge Charger in my late teens (bought used) and yours brought back good memories! 🙂
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
92GreenYJ wrote:
Well I got it in the driveway. A combination of the hitch rollers, a stack of pavers, and four 2x4x8s did the trick. That said I do NOT want to have to do this every time so this is a temporary solution at best. I have contacted a local concrete guy to get an estimate on reworking half of the driveway for the RV.

All those toys and no deceit area to park them without blocking neighbors views, I can maybe see why she complained why it was parked in the street blocking her views to get out of her driveway, also the way the motorhome is parked in the driveway also blocks views form her front door and such, I made sure when I park my motorhome at my house including my boat and Jeep its not blocking views out front of house, its all behind a 5 foot fence set back in property as to Vegas codes..

You would be a problem for me as well, you want big toys than buy a house to properly accommodate them..

Just my opinion..

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
92YJ, unless I’m missing something, there’s no “low” spot to fill in. From the pics, your driveway goes up from the gutter line, correct?
You can’t re work the curb and gutter and street grade, you’d have to lower the driveway.
I don’t see a solution by filing anything in. But ICBW.

I think its doable. It looks like if he excavates that sharp bend on the drive about 6-8' from the street he will make it. My drive is much steeper and I make it fine. Just needs a more rolling surface with no sharp bends in the driveway

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
92YJ, unless I’m missing something, there’s no “low” spot to fill in. From the pics, your driveway goes up from the gutter line, correct?
You can’t re work the curb and gutter and street grade, you’d have to lower the driveway.
I don’t see a solution by filing anything in. But ICBW.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
92GreenYJ wrote:
I do have auto levelers. That said after this I feel I don’t have to redo the whole driveway. I think just filling in the low spot on the left side where the RV goes up will do the trick.

Cool - doesn't sound too bad then. Enjoy it!
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

92GreenYJ
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
92GreenYJ wrote:
Well I got it in the driveway.

Excellent! The cost of the driveway modifications will likely exceed putting bags on the rear of the rig. Plus like others have said the air makes it ride nicer and gives you some suspension travel for leveling without goofing around with ramps (assuming you don't already have hydraulic levelers).

I do have auto levelers. That said after this I feel I don’t have to redo the whole driveway. I think just filling in the low spot on the left side where the RV goes up will do the trick.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
92GreenYJ wrote:
Well I got it in the driveway.

Excellent! The cost of the driveway modifications will likely exceed putting bags on the rear of the rig. Plus like others have said the air makes it ride nicer and gives you some suspension travel for leveling without goofing around with ramps (assuming you don't already have hydraulic levelers).

92GreenYJ
Explorer
Explorer
Well I got it in the driveway. A combination of the hitch rollers, a stack of pavers, and four 2x4x8s did the trick. That said I do NOT want to have to do this every time so this is a temporary solution at best. I have contacted a local concrete guy to get an estimate on reworking half of the driveway for the RV.

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
hope you use the parking brake!! and in the ram too!!
too many people don't use their parking brake, lots of shift cables and solenoids get worn out on slopes like that
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the folks that said to add rear air bags. Adding 4 inches of clearance is significant. With that 4 inches and other techniques, you have a good chance of getting in. Plus the air bags should give you a better ride.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
92GreenYJ wrote:
Hey all. So we just purchased our new 32 foot Sunseeker and upon getting it home discovered a bit of a problem. While I have plenty of space for it in the driveway, I can’t actually get it up into the driveway. The hitch guards scraped just a hair turning onto my street, but turning into the driveway was a huge can of worms. I got the RV about halfway in when I heard the guards start to scrape the asphalt in the street.

Me being me I decide to back it up and give it a bit more speed. Big mistake. I hit a point where the hitch guards dug into the sphalt so much that I couldn’t move either way. Tried putting some 2x4s in there. No joy. It was stuck good. So I hooked up a strap to my Hemi Ram 1500, tossed the wife in the drivers seat of the coach and yanked it out with the truck.

So for right now it’s parked on the street until I figure out what to do about this. I ordered a set of rollers to go on the bottom of the hitch but I’m not sure that’s gonna be enough.

Because the big dip at the bottom is right at the street I don’t think I could have the driveway leveled out at the bottom out into the street. Not sure if putting a culvert in there would fly with the county but I suspect not.

What have you guys done in this situation? Heavy duty ramp of some kind from driveway to street to raise it enough that the ass doesn’t drag?
Dump a yard of pea gravel at the bottom to build up the dip? (Again not sure this would be allowed)
Open to suggestions.

Here are a couple of pics of what I am dealing with.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but have you tried backing it in from where its parked at on the street? cut the wheel to the right and let one side go up first and then the other. my neighbor had a similar issue with his Class A. he had to back in at an angle to clear the driveway. It worked for him. It should work for you. I also see a curb next to the RR wheel. maybe put a 2X4 there and get that tire up over the curb first while backing in. I would think that would allow the rear to clear while backing in. You will never be able to pull in though!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
92GreenYJ wrote:
Yet another of my toys. 1971 Dodge Charger

Sweet!

Back on topic - if you do try rollers please post your results. I was thinking of going the same route, but my scraping isn't quite as severe as yours. If it works for you it will definitely work for me.