cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Entry Stairs - Replacement ???

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I am think about replacing my 5er steps with either Morryde Step Above or Lippert Solid Step.

What are real life experiences with this type of steps??

Any negatives? It looks to me to be a coin toss between the two. So purchase the one with the best price.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
11 REPLIES 11

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
Weโ€™re currently on the road, so Iโ€™m not positive what the original steps our 2020 Solitude S came with. I can tell you that on our first outing I realized that those steps were going to present a couple of problems. Typically we pull into rest stops to use the rigโ€™s bathroom. Our original steps extended too far into the next parking place - not something I was comfortable with doing when an 18 wheeler wants that space. (I have noticed upon occasion that some RVโ€™ers donโ€™t consider this inappropriate.) Our solution was simply to start stopping at truck stops where there was far more parking. (I parked a long ways out & angled into 2 parking spaces so protect said steps.) Before our current outing, I replaced the originals with the Torque Lift Revolution Uprising. (Iโ€™m under the impression that Grand Design has switched to these also.) These, like our previous steps, are stowed inside the rig. So far, weโ€™ve been quite pleased with these. They do seem to flex just a tiny bit under my weight - 6โ€™2โ€, 235lbs, still lifting weights, etc.
The biggest problem I had was getting them. Took quite a while for the order to be filled. They were shipped with incorrect spacers on one of the steps. Matt, at customer service, did a great job of rectifying that.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We have the steps that go inside on the 2021 TT we now have. Alpenlite had the best steps we feel for strength and easy to use. Wife feels like she is not safe on the new steps and we added another hand rail. Nice steps but on a bad rainy day on a travel day might be not that great. Of course we may never travel again. chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
I replaced my noisy spongy aluminum steps with solid steps. We have a TT with 2 doors. After one season using them we love em.
HOWEVER when we had our 5er I was thinking of installing them on it. Glad I didn't.

The biggest drawback is that on a 5er it's the only way in. If you're anywhere thats tight it will be a challenge. If you pull off on uneven ground to just grab something from the RV or to 'P' then you have to adjust them before setting them down.
Not that big of a deal in the short term but after a whole season it gets old.

Also you can't deploy them until the RV is level, which means no one can get inside until then.

With a two door unit the above situations aren't an issue.

As far as the bringing dirt or water inside. After one season of camping in the dirt, gravel, rain, etc we never had an issue with that. Just broom them off before putting them back inside.

Keeping our standard stock steps.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
After having MH's for years with the Kwikee electric steps, we love the FW with the MorRyde steps. The pros definitely outweigh the cons and the cons aren't really cons but rather a different way to to deal with them.

The good; super stable, easy to deploy and stow, no electric parts to fail, adjustable.

Things to consider; They do pull dirt into the RV unless you brush them off first, you need enough distance between you and something next to you in order to deploy them. In 6 mos of ownership this has really only been an issue at a storage lot and I have some control over that.

In short, we love them and wouldn't trade them for the old style for anything.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my noisy spongy aluminum steps with solid steps. We have a TT with 2 doors. After one season using them we love em.
HOWEVER when we had our 5er I was thinking of installing them on it. Glad I didn't.

The biggest drawback is that on a 5er it's the only way in. If you're anywhere thats tight it will be a challenge. If you pull off on uneven ground to just grab something from the RV or to 'P' then you have to adjust them before setting them down.
Not that big of a deal in the short term but after a whole season it gets old.

Also you can't deploy them until the RV is level, which means no one can get inside until then.

With a two door unit the above situations aren't an issue.

As far as the bringing dirt or water inside. After one season of camping in the dirt, gravel, rain, etc we never had an issue with that. Just broom them off before putting them back inside.

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
We installed the Step Above and my wife likes it a lot. Large upper step and solid, no bounce is a big improvement. Folding it up into the entry is a bit of a pain and it always puts dirt into the trailer when lifted up, but that's the only complaint we have. Only once did I ever have to move the trailer over in storage because I was too close to the next trailer to fold in down.

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III
Down side to the strut assist is that it is only available with the strut on the left side looking in the door. A consideration if you have cabinets just to the left of the door.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

We went from Stock steps, to aluminum/steel framed steps, to Torklift Glow Steps, and now have the Morryde Step above and love them.

MAny here have positives and negatives on BOTH,, This what most complain about

1- When traveling, the Lippert or Morryde are stowed inside the camper.. Some complain about this and think it is an issue... We simply keep a hand sweep and rag in the compartment next to the door. When packing up to leave, we simply raise them 1/2 way and wipe/sweep off then stow.

2- Some have said that IF they are too close to objects, they cannot lower the steps... we have been using these types for 5 years and have never ran into that as of yet.

The Lippert and Morryde are Very solid when using, with the Torklift Glow steps a very close second.

The Lipperst amnd Morryde both have strut assists now, and they are fantastic ! you can lower or raise with 2 fingers... and BOTH ( Torklift as well ) have adjustable feet for un even ground.

At the end of the day, it will be personal choice between all the pro's and con's
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
We put on a set of the Lippert steps. They feel really split, and I like the wide upper step.

The thing I donโ€™t like, and I think it is the same on all of them is the pins on the adjustable legs. They need to come up with a better way to adjust.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
They all have negatives. For rock solid quality replace with Elkhart Industries. I went with the aluminum tread model 4 step. At 200# I only deflect the bottom step 1/2โ€.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Early this fall, we replaced our steps with the Lippert unit. Liked the wider upper step for more stable feel. Install wasn't without some mods. Had to cut down the raised strip on the threshold plate for the step to fully drop down on top of the threshold. Also had to remove a bit from the screen door bottom and the "brush" sweep so doors close fully. Not really bad to do, don't know if the Moryde unit would have to have any mods, probably (??).

Usage is great, very solid feel, no bouncing or sagging under body weight. Setting the legs is somewhat of a hit and miss operation, each camp spot is different as to the trailer level. Not terrible, but need to get used to. One big thing is to have trailer level front to back before lowering steps, and NOT to do that with steps down. Can jam legs and bend step assy if done. As to clearance problems when stopping for short time, like rest area, or store, we have not had a problem putting the steps out with some vehicle next to trailer, but can happen!! A unit with 2 doors wouldn't have any problem, if main door blocked. Also, with steps up, not easy to put stuff in through door opening, minor problem!! Dirt and water, well, just put a little time into sweeping steps off and lay down a used towel or such before closing!!!

We did this due to the trailer step frame cracking from flexing of old steps under load. These will not do that, and we love them.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles