cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV fridge, store on or shut down?

Glenlivet
Explorer
Explorer
I looked around the site pretty thoroughly and tried searching but have come up empty on this subject and I ask for your kind help.

I've had two RV fridges die on me, one I'd left running during storage and the other I'd shut down, so I'm a bit leery about which is considered best.
Presently the RV fridge in my converted cargo is a 3 way salvaged from a wrecked truck camper, an older model Dometic with the manual peizo sparked pilot light and 120 AC and 12 volt DC heaters. It works very well and fits the cabinetry and plumbing I made for it so I don't want it to die like the others, if I can help it.

What do the experts think is best for wintering and storage, leave the fridge on active 120 volt service, or shut it down between use?
11 REPLIES 11

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
If there was food in there, point is moot, it stays on.

However, if I were leaving it for more than a week or two, I'd shut it off and prop open the doors as described above.

A power failure while the rig is being stored could cause one to come back to a very moldy refrigerator.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on length of storage. 2 or 3 days, leave it running, 2 weeks or more, shut it down, prop the door open so it can dry out.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are on our second trailer, and always shut the fridg off between trips.
We never had a problem with either of them.

Tells me to shut it off

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Not using it turn it off. Just be sure to wipe it down with a good bleach cleaner and fully wipe it dry with a paper towel and MAKE SURE those doors are propped open.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We've left ours on for years. Stored indoors.
A few weeks ago it gave up. The freezer and the cooling unit in the back of the fridge iced over. The sensor kept the cooling unit going instead of shutting it off. As a result it overheated and kicked out.
Reset the button in back and cleaned everything like new. Worked for a bit then kicked out again. A little yellow residue on the burner assy area.
I've always defrosted the fridge whenever necessary. guess I missed last time but it has been in storage longer than usual. Don't know how moisture got in since the ice maker was off. Maybe the doors weren't completely closed. Anywho or why replaced the cooling unit.
I think keeping it on is best, with defrosting, of course, but not sure the logic is sound with an RV unit. About time next year to go electric only.

Glenlivet
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies! I've read of the importance of leveling the fridge for proper operation but not that running it out of level might shorten it's life. Good to know. I always level the trailer anyway when I park it, just for proper appearance.
Thanks again.

therink
Explorer
Explorer
I store my rv in the back yard. Turn fridge on in April then off in October. Almost always have it loaded. Then again, we camp about every other week.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
ON or OFF.........not much difference as there are no moving mechanical parts.
Some debate on the effects of heating/cooling fatigue which does have a bit of merit. The more cycles anything goes thru over time will have an affect on it.

Costs to operate MAY be a factor.

BUT the biggest killer of absorption refrigerators is operating them in an off level situation.

So if you choose to leave it on in storage..........level the rig.
Otherwise turn it off.

Our last trailer.......1980's model...the fridge was ON and OFF. Still worked great when we sold it in 2003.
Current rig....fridge has only been off a few times each year for defrosting (short duration) otherwise it is ON 24/7. It's 7 yrs. old and going strong. Only have it set on #2 (out of 9). Highest we have needed to set was #3 during high temps & HIGH Humidity.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Running it on 120 volt AC will consume nearly 6 kwh per day. Where I live that's $0.78 per day, or a whopping $23.40 per month. I would turn mine off.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
For us...if we aren't using it or aren't going to within the next 7 days, we shut it down.
(door open of course)
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
I say leave it off and leave the doors open.