cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Fuel Issues & Prices - Post 'Em Here!

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
All other fuel threads will be automatically deleted. ๐Ÿ™‚
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B
4,897 REPLIES 4,897

eltejano1
Explorer
Explorer
The laws of economics and market forces don't seem to be working, because people simply aren't reacting in expected ways. We are supposed to resist buying a product that is too expensive, and we're not doing that. I think it just isn't high enough yet. At some point, supply and demand will have to kick-in - $7, $10?

I don't like govt regulation and controls. But I have to admit that I am more open-minded on that subject now than I ever dreamed I would be. Greed is inherent in the free enterprise system by definition. That's what it's all about - and the ONLY thing we can do to check it is to not buy the product. But we have to have gas - the question is, how far back can we cut? If we can't pinch their profit line with decreased consumption, then we'll have to regulate -even with price controls and rationing if necessary. We can't continue on the present course.

If we can keep a civil tone and nobody gets mad, perhaps we can continue the discussion. I would like to hear the thoughts of my economic and generational peers (which I think most of you are) on what may well be the crucial issue of our lives.

Jack

eltejano1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Joe:

Since we no longer tow, I've thought about trading-in the big truck on something smaller. We live on 22 acres with animals and farm equipment and I've got to have a truck of some kind to tow a low boy, etc. But when I look at the figures, current trade-in value and the cost of a new, smaller p/u, etc, it just doesn't add-up. This truck gets 18mph locally and about 20 on the road, running light. A new 6 cyl half ton won't do much better - and struggle to haul a load of hay on the low boy - probably using more fuel than the diesel truck I have.

So, I use the car unless I have to haul a load of feed, take my tractor to the shop, etc. I'm doing lots of things with the car that I would normally have used the p/u for - hauling oily engine parts, cans of lube oil, bags of chicken feed, cases of whiskey ๐Ÿ™‚ - anything that will fit in the trunk or back seat. Maybe false economy, since I'm destroying the car appearance-wise.

Jack

eltejano1
Explorer
Explorer
That's what we have done with ours and it's working-out very well. It's the same group of people every weekend and we have lots of fun activities, mostly centering around food! And the price is the same as what you are paying.

Good luck to y'all

RetiredArmy
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we finally decided to do it. Because it's getting so expensive to get around in a RV we have decided to park our MH in an RV Park where you lease a lot. So, we will be full-timers in Florida and still be able to use the MH. I hate to give in to the high price of gas but when you are on a fixed income you have to make choices. The cost per month of the lease plus water and electric is less than $250 a month. This we can afford and driving here from our home is only about 400 miles plus we get close to 40 mpg in our toad. This is not the reason we purchased our MH. We planned on traveling west and north for lengthy trips. Oh, well. Se la vie (that's life). Happy trails.
Brenda and Larry - Retired
2001 RoadTrek 200 Versatile

eltejano1
Explorer
Explorer
roln wrote:
I don't see how you folks that have to commute to work can make it

A lotta people around here still make less than $10/hr, especially women, and most of them live out in the country and have to drive to work. I guess it just isn't that painful yet.

A typical covenience store clerk here will make $50-$70 for a shift and lives ten miles away. A gallon of gas is only 5-10% of pay and she can handle that. Her typical husband likely works in Beaumont (120 mile round trip), makes $15-$20/hr and drives a 1/2 ton p/u. Their gross, before-tax income - about $3500/mo, of which about $600 is spent on necessary gasoline - which has surpassed rent or mobile home payment in many cases. They don't like it - but still within their zone of tolerance.

Low income people are used to adversity. They'll get by - unless fuel gets to the point that they literally can't buy it. Life is constantly battering these people and they've learned to roll with the punches.

Jack

rolnrolnroln
Explorer
Explorer
I hear ya. I stopped yesterday in Cheney, WA and the price for diesel went from $4.57 last week to $4.75 yesterday. We had planned on going this weekend to an ID park we like, but the weather isn't teriffic. It will take a bit over 30 gallons there and back. $145 for fuel plus the propane and campground fees? Pretty close to $200 to sit in the TT and watch movies while it rains. I thought about just pulling out of the garage onto a meadow we have and camping away. But I thought of a better way: My Better Half and I made an agreement that we would stay in the house this weekend but no "fix-it" work, weeding, cleaning and such is permitted. This way we can sit and watch the pines in the rain/wind or the movies on the plasma, for free. (We have 10 very rural acres) With the costs the way they are, we are going to be more selective about when we go. We have become "fair weather campers." I used to like to listen to the rain on the TT. Those days are history. I was looking at putting in a Transferflow 75 gallon aux tank. 37 in the truck tank and 75 in the bed tank? $532.00!!!!! The local pumps shut off at $75. Not good. Last week I put 12.30 into a bloody motorcycle. I don't see how you folks that have to commute to work can make it. Fortunately for me, I am a telecommuter. I had a stamp made up with my name so I don't have to drive in just to sign documents. It has more than paid for itself. Sad days ahead I'm afraid.

eltejano1
Explorer
Explorer
Member from La Mirada wrote:
Cancelled our July 4th trip to Reno: was going to cost me over $800 bucks for 10 days, maybe more. Just not worth it.
So the trailer is parked and we shall see what shakes out. We live in such a beautiful area that rving is not so much fun anymore.

Yep. About 100 gals of fuel and 10 nights in an rv park -- $800 plus what you'd drop in the slots!

Just to point-out how high this fuel really is - my diesel p/u has two tanks, each about 35 gals. If the tanks were empty, like a new truck, and you fueled it up it would take 70 gallons - an incredible $350!

Everyone needs to let that sink in --- $350.00 to fill a pickup truck with diesel!! It's almost unbelievable. And travelling west, it wouldn't even get me to the New Mexico line! This has got to be a bad dream. Wake me up!

Jack

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
For everyone here that thinks there is some recession......the Wal*Mart Supercenter near me had 10 to 15 customers deep at half the cash registers @ Midnight tonight!:E

Somebody must not be all that broke from buying fuel to be shopping with a vengeance. Looked like Grant took Richmond to me!!:E:B:)

Somebody out there has spending money besides gas money!

eltejano1
Explorer
Explorer
JimboAlaska wrote:
Ya right....I'm done here.
It seems as though if you blame America for everything you are right, and support it you are wrong.
If you are blind to Steves apparent Environmentalist Stance, that's ok.
Sorry to point out I support all our options, I will exit and no longer post.

I was afraid you would take it that way, but my only motive was to preserve the thread. I am aware Steve has a liberal bent -just being from Oregon tells us that - and I don't object to what you say. But the moderator will not permit you to say it that way. This isn't the O'Reilly Factor.

Jack

trac209
Explorer
Explorer
Gadget Guy wrote:
To Trac209, I am also Canadian, please get your facts close to being write. Federal and Provincial fuel taxes goes into that big pot called General Revenue. Our feds spend less than 10% of what is collected in fuel taxes on our road system, the rest goes to pay for our so called "free" health care and all the rest of the government expenditures. Our so called "free" health care is the main reason that everything costs more in Canada than the US. Our health care is very expensive and very inefficient, I would not wish it on anyone, but this topic is supposed to be about fuel prices, so I apologize for getting off topic.
first off why did you spell "right "like write? what the money from gas taxes is "supposed to go to is roads!!!! just cuz it doesn't always work that way it don't mean our health care is free and thats what i was explaining ok? our health care is anything but free i'm sure you can at least agree with that

res08hao
Explorer
Explorer
Cancelled our July 4th trip to Reno: was going to cost me over $800 bucks for 10 days, maybe more. Just not worth it.
So the trailer is parked and we shall see what shakes out. We live in such a beautiful area that rving is not so much fun anymore.
over the hill and enjoying the view
diesel pickup and 5th wheel trailer.

mrjimboalaska
Explorer
Explorer
eltejano1 wrote:
Please, please, Mr. Jimbo - and I'm asking as nicely as I can - please delete the "hate" America and Obama remarks. This is a nice and fruitful discussion and it will be ruuined if it takes that sort of partisan tack. And the moderator will shut us down - he gave us a thread, but the forum rules still apply.

I'm sincere, Jimbo. I'm not trying to be smart a..!

Ya right....I'm done here.
It seems as though if you blame America for everything you are right, and support it you are wrong.
If you are blind to Steves apparent Environmentalist Stance, that's ok.
Sorry to point out I support all our options, I will exit and no longer post.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
nickthehunter wrote:
AO_hitech wrote:
mrjimboalaska wrote:
.....that is 85% in 10 months...

But, you are not being taken advantage of. Their costs have gone up by that much. Somehow, it now costs almost twice as much to mine oil and produce fuel with it. :R

I really need to start selling that beach front property in AZ...

WE get it !! Actually, we got it 100 posts ago. You believe in the Big Oil Conspiracy Theory. Now show us something to back it up ?
I've shown it a couple times, guess you didn't read it, so here it is.
http://judiciary.senate.gov/testimony.cfm?id=1743&wit_id=4957
Sounds like a conspiracy to me !!!!!!!
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
crudeman wrote:
Pleeeeezzzzzz, don't ask that it will be the Bakersfield story all over again and again... its the same old message and the same old theory!

You discount the story because it is old!?! And it's not a theory. But, I guess if you can't discount the facts you need some other tactic. However, the record profits are enough by themselves...

As fun as it's been, I've got to go. I'm leaving this weekend for a trip that is 45 miles one way. I'm not taking the MH, so I am cutting back. :W So, I won't be here to kick around any more. However, if anyone is interested in my beach front property please call me at 510-555-5651. Thanks! :W

H_1
Explorer
Explorer
Further (oh, I just can't shut up), I have a feeling that in a hundred years they'll look back on our age and try to imagine an economy run on whale oil... I mean fossil fuels ๐Ÿ™‚