cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Fuel Issues & Prices - Post 'Em Here!

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
All other fuel threads will be automatically deleted. ๐Ÿ™‚
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B
4,897 REPLIES 4,897

TF36DSMatt
Explorer
Explorer
TF36DSMatt wrote:
Draw your own conclusions from the data but personally I would not be suprised to see $60 oil within 2 years.

I posted the above back on page 6 of this thread.

With oil closing at $87/barrel today down from a high of $147, it looks like it might not be a full two years to get back to $60 after all. Only $27 to go.

jello
Explorer
Explorer
Don't come to North Georgia because gas and diesel is on the rise. 3.89-4.19 for gas, 4.09-4.69 for diesel.

adVentureMan
Explorer
Explorer
Old Man of the Mountain wrote:
Was in SC when this "rip off" started. Prices went from $3.55 to 4.29 overnight. Same in GA, then we moved on to NashvilleTN. Stations were running out of gas and prices skyrocketed....we left Nashville Tuesday AM with little or no gas to be had, drove 50 miles north in KY and found gas aplenty at 3.69 and filled up today in Ohio for 3.56 per gallon. So you can believe whatever you want but someone is manipulating prices and supplies in GA & TN and I call that "rip off"!!!

Yep. Once Ike hit the coast the local stations tried to jack up prices 20 cents or so, but in a strange turn of events local goverments encouraged customers to report stations that "price gouged". The following day prices dropped down to pre-Ike prices. Right now fuel is less expensive in Memphis than it was this summer. I paid about $.75 less per gallon for diesel this month than in July 2008. Interesting. Not sure why; but thankful!:B
Doug and Kathy
2008 Chevy 2500HD extended cab Duramax/Allison 4WD
2013 Cougar 327RES
"Nuestra casa con buena vistas"

Need RV Checklists?

macira
Explorer
Explorer
Don Smith.. Discounting events like Hurricanes the consumption of oil is and has been well below supply. There may well have been refineries built if the Govts at various levels had not made it nearly impossible.
I suggest your talking points are flawed.
Mac USAF retired
2001 Seaview 32 ft model 8311
Ford f53
2007 HHR
Brake buddy
Falcon2 Towbar

Old_Man_of_the_
Explorer
Explorer
Was in SC when this "rip off" started. Prices went from $3.55 to 4.29 overnight. Same in GA, then we moved on to NashvilleTN. Stations were running out of gas and prices skyrocketed....we left Nashville Tuesday AM with little or no gas to be had, drove 50 miles north in KY and found gas aplenty at 3.69 and filled up today in Ohio for 3.56 per gallon. So you can believe whatever you want but someone is manipulating prices and supplies in GA & TN and I call that "rip off"!!!
Old Man of the Mountain
"The Old Man has fallen and can't get up":W

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
DonSmith wrote:
It's silly and counterproductive to be ascribing the oil and gas issue (an commodity that is traded like soy beans) to boogeyman conspiracies.

Not boogeymen, commodity speculators. There is certainly some manipulated supply (as you pointed out) also.

DonSmith
Explorer
Explorer
TrueLarry wrote:
I have heard more than once that we are at or near refinery capacity and that we actually import refined gasoline and diesel because we can't make it ourselves even if we had the oil to do so? The above thread seems to suggest that it's the oil company conspiracy that's keeping the gas prices up. Since we import gasoline and diesel it seems to me that the high price of gas and diesel could also be due to the fact that we can't make any more of it ourselves. BTW if you don't like the price of gas in NY go to NJ where it's at least a quarter a gallon less because of lower taxes. I guess when everybody is out of work and staying at home the price of gas will drop.

The oil companies know, because they know about remaining world oil reserves, that prices will continue to trend up and increasing prices will reduce demand. Even though the refineries are operating at close to capacity, they also know that oil will get more scarce and more expensive and building new or expanded refineries would be a waste of money. These are the richest companies in the world and have tremendous political power. If they wanted to build more refineries, they will do so if the profit is there. Before Ike hit, I had seen reports that the refineries were operating at much lower capacity that previously because of the decreased demand across the country. In fact they were reducing inventories of gasoline, not due to the storm, but becasue of lowered demand. If we want them to build more refineries, we would have to subsidize them because they don't see long-term need and long term profit in it.

It's silly and counterproductive to be ascribing the oil and gas issue (an commodity that is traded like soy beans) to boogeyman conspiracies. Its very much a market driven thing and while there are political influences, most of these issues have to do with supply, demand, price, cost, profit and future expectations by large multinationals with profit interests. Its mostly explainable with reference to these factors. Its funny because it appears to me that most of the conspiracy theorists seem also to be devotees to free market principals. If you understand and believe in free market principals, and I do, you should not abandon these axioms and principals when you try to explain what is happening. It actually explains them pretty well. In these principals also lie the solutions. But if you prefer to go chasing "boogeymen" its your perogative, and your wasted time.
Don Smith
donsmith64@gmail.com

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
junmy3 wrote:
Fezziwig wrote:
I remember the gas shortages of 1973 quite well. Even worse than the rationing of WW2, when we could just take the streetcar instead, because we weren't yet addicted to cars and long distance commuting.

In 1973 many of us started working, as a hobby, on alternate transportation, like riding bicycles to work, even getting the company to put showers into the new office building. We also built innovative vehicles, electric cars, two cylinder VWs, etc. Maybe it seems corny now, but we were trying to help. But the government sorta killed interest by not pursuing these things. So, here we are.

I am of the opinion that if the people had wanted it the government would/could not have stopped it.
That is true.
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

junmy3
Explorer
Explorer
Fezziwig wrote:
I remember the gas shortages of 1973 quite well. Even worse than the rationing of WW2, when we could just take the streetcar instead, because we weren't yet addicted to cars and long distance commuting.

In 1973 many of us started working, as a hobby, on alternate transportation, like riding bicycles to work, even getting the company to put showers into the new office building. We also built innovative vehicles, electric cars, two cylinder VWs, etc. Maybe it seems corny now, but we were trying to help. But the government sorta killed interest by not pursuing these things. So, here we are.

I am of the opinion that if the people had wanted it the government would/could not have stopped it.
Jim & Junnie
2016 Jay Flight 27RLS

Fezziwig
Explorer
Explorer

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
I posted this a few months ago. I guessed right.

Posted: 04/01/08 08:55pm Link | Print | Notify Moderator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have noticed a lot of the posts are from people in their 60's. One thing that has not been added to the discussion is gas rationing. All of the 60 yr. olds remember when you sat in line for fuel. Sometimes you got it and sometimes they ran out before you got to the pumps. I was in the service station business during those times. Our alotment went from 30 thousand gal. a month to 20 thousand gal. overnite. We sold fuel 2 hrs. a day and sold out before the month ended. Most people say it can't happen today. If production was cut in half, do you think the Oil Co. will go broke? Not hardly, they will get more for it tomorrow than they get today. CONSERVATION WILL HAPPEN.
IT MAY BE TOMORROW BUT IT WILL HAPPEN.

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
7th Cav wrote:
AO_hitech wrote:
Does anyone still not believe that speculators are the reason for the high price of oil?!?:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12400801/

Wow, so your one of the three people that watch msnbc.
There actually are three people who watch MSNBC? Who would of thunk it?
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
AO_hitech wrote:

Regardless of your reasons, it is still the cause of the high price of oil.
And as long as its working for me, I won't be quitting any time soon. Have a good day.

macira
Explorer
Explorer
There are those who believe this "supply and demand and hedging balgona", indeed and they believe in WMDS hidden in the sand and "rudolph the red nosed reindeer".
Truth is the whole deal is run by thieves and dummies.

Suppply went off with Rudolph somewhere today and RobinHood found the demand.
And speaking of inflation..the plan is now to give the guy who was the "chief Thief" of one of the nests of thieves $700 billion and no rules about how to blow it..must be more hedging!!!
Mac USAF retired
2001 Seaview 32 ft model 8311
Ford f53
2007 HHR
Brake buddy
Falcon2 Towbar

Fezziwig
Explorer
Explorer
I'm guessing that at some time in the future (maybe a couple months, maybe a couple years) we're going to be hit by The Mother Of All Inflations. We've been artificially holding it back for the past few years.

I'm not sure how a small-timer can protect himself.