cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV inspection, by who?

deereone
Explorer
Explorer
I see on the RV forums so often when someone asks about a used RV they are thinking of buying. Some one nearly always pops in with the suggestion to have it inspected before making the purchase either from a private or dealer sale. My question is, just who would one contact to find a qualified RV inspector? And would one need to hire a RV and a chassis inspector in the case of a motorhome? And what is the cost of this type of inspection?? I would mostly like to hear from those that have had inspections done prior to purchase. If you made the purchase what did the inspector miss?
9 REPLIES 9

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
Motorized requires 2 inspections. One is a drivetrain/chassis inspection by a competent truck mechanic. Second is a house/structure inspection by an RV tech. They both should run under $300. Money well spent. Ask at RV lots or parks for suggest5ions.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Just call an RV dealer or an RV park in the area and ask for a recommendation for a mobile RV tech. Then negotiate a price for an inspection with the reck. As I recall I paid something like $125 in 2007.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Double post
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can always wander into a rv service shop and ask the service manager if any of the techs provide this service in their off time. Tell him you have found a privately owned RV you would like inspected and if the tech does a good job, you will be using his shop for any future servicing. Should get you one of their best techs if they have any that will do it.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

rockportrocket
Explorer
Explorer
In just about every city that has an rv park, they have repairmen who are technicians. Call the local parks where the coach is and get some numbers for the technicians.

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
Some truck dealer ships or repair facilities will inspect for you. I would not go to car dealership for this sort thing. In Texas they have licensed garages for safety inspections. I don't think I would trust them. They are primarily revenue collectors for the state.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
The only required RV inspections I know of around here is a yearly State safety inspection required by DOT. We have that here in Virginia and the trailer has to display an valid safety inspection sticker just like the Truck Does. What triggers this in Virginia is if the trailer has electric brakes then it requires a safety inspection. I'm sure there is a weight thing as well but not familiar with what is...

The safety inspection only involves the tires, brakes, wheel bearings, and trailer lights. I have never had to demonstrate that the electric brakes work but they always pull a wheel and look at the brake pads...

Roy Ken

The OP is talking about a pre purchase inspection by a qualified RV tech for the house and a mechanic for the chassis issues, not a state safety inspection.

I would contact a mobile RV repair service. They may do it or could direct you to someone for the inspection.

miken807
Explorer
Explorer
When I purchased my class b motorhome, I made sure all the appliances worked, which they did, then I took it to a service center and paid to have the vehicle itself checked over. (brakes, shocks, engine, hoses, belts) after all checked out, I bought the unit.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only required RV inspections I know of around here is a yearly State safety inspection required by DOT. We have that here in Virginia and the trailer has to display an valid safety inspection sticker just like the Truck Does. What triggers this in Virginia is if the trailer has electric brakes then it requires a safety inspection. I'm sure there is a weight thing as well but not familiar with what is...

The safety inspection only involves the tires, brakes, wheel bearings, and trailer lights. I have never had to demonstrate that the electric brakes work but they always pull a wheel and look at the brake pads...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS