cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Pole Barn

pennrver
Explorer
Explorer
We don't own an RV yet, but plan on purchasing one within the next year. Planning on putting up a pole barn to house it. We will build that before getting the RV. Wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts on it, mistakes you made, etc.

Dimension wise I want to be able to plan accordingly. We have pretty much decided on a class C, but may move on to a fifth wheel down the road. So I want to "future proof" the barn.

A fifth wheel is going to be taller than a class C, so if I plan my barn around that fact it should be able to hold any class C. What is the tallest 5th wheel right now? 13' something? so a 14' door should suffice?

Any thoughts on barn dimensions? I am looking for more of a multi use barn but primarily for the motorhome. But may be storing tractor, car, boat, etc. So looking for two bays.

Should I make it long enough to hold 5th wheel + truck attached? That might stretch it too long. How about room around the camper?

Looking to hear thoughts from anyone who has been down this road! Thanks
66 REPLIES 66

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I built a new 40X42 semi-round top shed with the intent of storing our 5ver in one side of it. my only regret is that I didn't install a wider door. We put in a 10 foot wide door and wish I has a 12.

The 5ver fits ok through the 10 foot door but with the awning on the curb side and the rain gutter spouts on both sides I only have about 4" to spare on each side which can be tricky to navigate when backing in.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Nice Paul! I know that you will forever regret having built the barn! :B
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Paul1944
Explorer
Explorer
I built my shed primarily to house my motorhome but also wanted it to serve as a workshop. Mine is 30' x 50' with 14' sidewalls, insulated but not heated,, the door is a 14' x 12' roll-up and I had the drive poured 16' wide. I have full hook-up so I can thoroughly clean the holding tanks when we return from a trip and we also use the motorhome as an extra bedroom when needed. The one thing I had to change after the build was completed, I had to upgrade the electric hook-up from 30amp to 50amp. I would suggest going with 50amp initially and use a pigtail if you only need 30amp. Other than that MINOR problem I have been extremely pleased with my building. Would like to add a picture but don't know how, sorry.
Paul & Margie

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Someone said to not skimp on the size of the electric panel and I have to agree. Get the 200 amp one now you will not regret it. If you get a smaller one they will bury smaller wires to the shed. Then you will not be able to upgrade someday if you want to.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
memtb wrote:
blofgren, If it will make you feel better, neither one of ours, has concrete or insulation. Only, wiring, lights and recepticles. But, they are great storage for all of our stuff and the rvโ€™s. Keeps everything out of the sun and the weather!

If that doesn't make you feel better, I park my motorhome on a not too unlevel patch of dirt (that used to be lawn before it was covered with a large vehicle) next to my garage.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren, If it will make you feel better, neither one of ours, has concrete or insulation. Only, wiring, lights and recepticles. But, they are great storage for all of our stuff and the rvโ€™s. Keeps everything out of the sun and the weather!
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
OK everyone, Iโ€™m drooling now reading about all of these beautiful set-ups (and dreaming.....) :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 42 x 56' fully insulated, pole barn built by Cleary one year ago and I just got done with the lights, electrical, RV hook ups, rain gutters, storage shelves, etc. 56 feet is long enough for my truck and any trailer I will ever own... go as long as you need. Cleary was building them 42 feet instead of 40 feet wide, no extra charge, because they had a surplus of 42 foot trusses. It was only $200 extra to have 17 foot walls instead of 16 foot and I put 3 foot high eve lights all the way down the sides, which I absolutely love. It's plenty bright enough in there during the day to do anything I want. I have a few friends who had RV garages built with 12 foot doors when they had old motorhomes and now they have fifth wheels that won't fit inside, so be sure to get a 14 foot doors. I positioned the two RV doors so I can have an RV with the slides out on both sides and I still have 8 feet of extra width on one side for storage, mezzanine and work area. I had the floor poured with 5 inches of 4000 PSI concrete and there is a 10' x 15' section that's 8 inches thick for a future two post hoist. Water and electric are trenched underground coming from the house basement and I had the house, the septic tank and the pole barn all laid out so it would be easy to put In the rv dump. I wired it for future door openers extra RV receptacles, hoist and everything else I could think of . Plan for everything, right in the beginning and you will have piece of mind, when it's done. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
You will find the old rule will apply
"stuff grows to fit the container"

Yep! :B
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
You will find the old rule will apply
"stuff grows to fit the container"
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
pennrver, While good quality, roll-up,doors do add quite a bit of expense to the barn, itโ€™s difficult to anticipate future needs....I recommend putting in the second 14x14 door. Cheaper and easier to do now than later. Seems like there was a commercial along similar lines! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

lazydays
Explorer
Explorer
I built a 40x60 Pole Barn back in 2017. During the winter months it houses my 38' 5ver, my brothers 41' 5ver, two trucks and a pontoon. I still have room for other odds and ends. Sometimes I think I should have went bigger though. Doors are 16' tall and 20' wide on one end and 14' wide on the other side. Allows me to pull thorough.
Very Patient Wife
Two Boys & a Girl
2013 Keystone Avalanche 345TG
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L

pennrver
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at around 40' wide, depth not sure yet but thinking 60'. Sidewalls, still undecided but based on some feedback here with a 14x14 door going to be 16' or 18' sidewalls. I'd like to perhaps put a basketball hoop in it for the winter time but not really planning around that.

If I have one door 14x14, any reason to make the second door smaller or should it just be the same size? I only plan on owning 1 rv!!

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
If enough room is available, and โ€œnotโ€ some silly ordinance prohibiting it...build it. I donโ€™t know how anyone could survive โ€œwithoutโ€ one. I wish Iโ€™d followed the advice of other knowledged people.... determine the size you โ€œneedโ€.....and the double that! Our first one was 34โ€™x48โ€™x16โ€™ (sidewalls), we now have a second barn....32โ€™ x30โ€™x12โ€™ (sidewalls). Weโ€™re already wishing it were a little bigger!
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted, can't get the picture thing to work.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch