cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Quality

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
It seems like every new RV we look at at the dealers has stuff wrong with it. Cabinet doors falling off, lights hanging loose, lights not working, toilet seats loose. How do they expect to sell it to you when it's falling apart before you even use it one night?
33 REPLIES 33

run100
Explorer
Explorer
Don't get me started about the quality issues with our house . . . and the model homes out there! And they're far from cheap!
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We went to an RV show many years ago and noticed the same thing. if they put out a product where you can see the mistakes,what are they hiding that you can't see? having said that, there are some companies that make a good RV. For many years we owned Sunlines. They were great but went out of business. We now have a Keystone Cougar TT and haven't had any issues. So do your research and you can find a good unit.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
The actual time the TT spends on the factory floor is irrelevant. What matters is how many man hours are invested in each unit, how well trained the workers are, and most importantly, how much quality control takes place.

The guys in this vid are not working quickly and efficiently, they are hurrying.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Newbiecampers
Explorer
Explorer
GeoFish wrote:
Jayco brags that they can build a trailer in 7 hours.
It's on You Tube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXMJrRQ3SVk

My next TT is going to be an Oliver.

Ha ha ha. Yep.

Slapping a travel trailer together in 7 hours is -hardly- a selling point in my book.

GeoFish
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco brags that they can build a trailer in 7 hours.
It's on You Tube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXMJrRQ3SVk

My next TT is going to be an Oliver.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Another show special. If you buy this trailer, don't get too frisky on the bed. I actually saw a number of units with this fine build quality.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
Here is another one from the same show, if you look real close you might detect a defect:

LOL @ this whole thread. Wasted a few bucks attending the Pittsburgh show a few weeks ago. Hard to believe but IMO the units on display were worse than at the 2017 show. I did not think it possible.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Who's the manufacturer of that RV? They ought to be closed down!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
What's with the missing backsplash? Also, is the range hood unlevel or are you leaning?
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Here is another one from the same show, if you look real close you might detect a defect:

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've seen cabinet doors almost falling off, c*ck-eyed drawers and other blatant obvious bad workmanship at our local RV show. Hard to believe a dealer would allow thousands of people see that on display. But like our dealer told me once when discussing some warranty issues "it's just a travel trailer". :M

If you're seeing issues like the OP did, you need to know that there will be plenty more issues of all kinds lurking underneath that you can't see, waiting to plague you for years to come.

You can learn lots of things at RV shows, like one I was at and I wanted to see how bouncy a TT floor was so I jumped on it a bit. Salesman came running in "don't do that you'll damage it." Yikes...

After 3 TTs (including one that was returned under warranty), I've become a cynical and hardened RV owner. :R

westend
Explorer
Explorer
goducks wrote:
Thats the spare closure latch. You know like dress shirts have that extra button sewn on. That way it won't get lost and is an exact replacement. Clever.
Or...cabinet doors are sometimes opposite opening in that location. It would give the option to do so after-market, lol.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Here is a nice show example:

Thats the spare closure latch. You know like dress shirts have that extra button sewn on. That way it won't get lost and is an exact replacement. Clever.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree. The workmanship is not that good and the dealers don't seem to care.