cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Quality

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
It seems like every new RV we look at at the dealers has stuff wrong with it. Cabinet doors falling off, lights hanging loose, lights not working, toilet seats loose. How do they expect to sell it to you when it's falling apart before you even use it one night?
33 REPLIES 33

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Here is a nice show example:

That's your legendary Amish craftsmanship right there...
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a nice show example:

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
memtb wrote:
Most rvโ€™s are produced as cheaply as possible, because Buyerโ€™s demand it. I suspect that we could roughly โ€œdoubleโ€ the cost of the average RV, to get one of โ€œtrueโ€ quality. Though none will be โ€œperfectโ€....there is vast room for improvement! Those willing and able can buy better rvโ€™s with less issues. Until the construction standards of all rvโ€™s are greatly improved, do we continue to buy โ€œjunkโ€ and complain or insist on quality and subsequently pay โ€œmuchโ€ more? The ball is on โ€œour end of the courtโ€!
I would agree with this statement.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
It seems like every new RV we look at at the dealers has stuff wrong with it. Cabinet doors falling off, lights hanging loose, lights not working, toilet seats loose. How do they expect to sell it to you when it's falling apart before you even use it one night?

I've looked at RVs for years at dealers and RV Shows and have not experienced what you are describing. Occasionally we see a defect but not often.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
On top of the fact that you roll the dice when you buy, they also design some of the stupidest floor plans. According to one of Grand Design CEO's, 30% of the market is newbies. That's a lot of buyers you can fool with poor quality and dumb floor plans.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Most rvโ€™s are produced as cheaply as possible, because Buyerโ€™s demand it. I suspect that we could roughly โ€œdoubleโ€ the cost of the average RV, to get one of โ€œtrueโ€ quality. Though none will be โ€œperfectโ€....there is vast room for improvement! Those willing and able can buy better rvโ€™s with less issues. Until the construction standards of all rvโ€™s are greatly improved, do we continue to buy โ€œjunkโ€ and complain or insist on quality and subsequently pay โ€œmuchโ€ more? The ball is on โ€œour end of the courtโ€!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Every coach is bound to have some issues. If it was well built using quality materials and techniques the small stuff will sort itself out either with you making the repairs or by playing the dealer fix it game.

The real problems come from the cheaply/lightly built units... look for particle board, veneers, and low-quality accessories/appliances. If they cut corners that you can see rest assured they did not hesitate to compromise where you can't.

On the other hand, quality manufacturing clearly shows. The use of Azdfell vs Luan {plywood}, one-piece fiberglass roofs, and endcaps, properly aligned coaches that drive, ride and handle well right off the showroom floor are indicative of a quality build.

As always.... opinions and YMMV.

:C

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
TNGW1500SE wrote:

I agree, seen plenty like you are describing! I always got "oh we will fix that" comment when pointing out the issues.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
The quality of today's new RV's is a hot industry issue. It's been like this for the last couple of years and we're taking notice. We purchased our FW new in 2010 and have been extremely pleased with the quality. We're keeping it. If we ever have to get a different one, it will be an older, quality made, used one, with the advice of our RV tech.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:

We've never experienced anything like that and we've been to many different dealer lots. About the only thing I can agree with is lights not working, but that's because the dealerships we've been to don't hook the RVs up to electricity while on the lot and don't install the battery until the RV sells.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Another good reason to buy a rig from a local dealer with whom you can develop a good relationship. It doesn't hurt to buy accessory items from that dealer also like toilet chemicals, paper, light bulbs, etc.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
the bear II wrote:
If I was a dealer I would make sure a new RV was in as perfect shape as possible before showing it to potential buyers. However, not all dealers can afford to repair issues prior to selling an RV. So they will promise to fix the items prior to delivery to you.

It's all by design and if you think for one second it's not you're in dreamland.

The dealer has two choices. One is to reject the unit upon delivery. Do that too much and you'll not be carrying the brand long. Since two corporations hold 85% of the market you could get yourself in trouble quick as a dealer.

The other is the status quo, sell the unit and then finish building it / repair factory build issues. That way it's submitted under the manufacturers warranty, and the manufacturer is footing the bill. It's a huge time consuming process and a money loser also, but a lot of times falls on the individual tech to lose the money. He is usually working flat rate and gets nothing for the troubleshooting, investigation, and documentation the manufacturer requires. Add to that a lot of times the manufacturer pays a lot less than the work is actually worth, the tech usually eats that too.

So blame the dealers all you want but the manufacturers implemented the process and know exactly what is going on and what they are doing.

Don't expect to see changes until the economy burps and the RV Industry tanks......again. Even then changes will be small.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
I too am amazed they would show off units with such major issues. We went to a regional RV show last spring, and I was surprised to see such major faults on fairly expensive $200,000+ coaches. Faults like bathroom doors that would not close due to being out of alignment, cabinet doors with loose hinges, and even a missing vent cover on one of the air conditioner ducts. Nothing screams quality on a $300,000 (ask about discount) coach like a missing vent cover on the ceiling.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I must have had the exception to all the stereotypes. When I took delivery of my Outback TT, I found only 2 issues. One screw was missing from one of the cabinet hinges. The other issue was the drain in the shower was installed wrong, and the actual drain sat higher than the bottom of the shower pan. (water will not flow uphill).

The shower drain was fixed under warranty, they had the camper 2 days to fix it after I made an appointment. The missing screw I just replaced myself. That's it!

Although, did have an exelectent dealership. At 3 months they want every new unit to return to fix any warranty issues, or anything the owner wants fixed.

We purchased ours in September and then went to Florida in December and returned in January. My 3 month inspection was after we came back. I didn't have any issues at all. But during the inspection, the dealership found the skirting over the wheel well had broken screw holes. Warranty fixed both skirts with new ones. I was really impressed, because I didn't even notice that.

At the 12 month inspection, they found nothing, so decided to repack my bearing for free. I asked why they do the 3 month and 12 month inspection and fix absolutely everything at no expense to the owner. They said, because they want all of their new bought units going out of the 12 month warranty working 100% with no issues. So they do the 12 month inspection and fix it.

I know, not every RV dealership takes this much pride and dedication to customer satisfaction as they did. But, that's what makes them such a great dealership and an absolutely great reputation.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with MDK. Unless it is something that is going to cost a lot of money, I fix it myself. Easier on the blood pressure and since I plan on keeping the Winnebago a while, I might as well get used to fixing things. "Your milage may vary" but I find it pretty satisfying to fix stuff and know it's been done right (even if I have to do it a couple times!).