Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV's not welcome in Denton Texas

Schertz
Explorer
Explorer
FYI:

Arrived in Denton Texas 3 days ago and parked in front of family members home for my wife to receive daily chemotherapy and radiation nearby.

Denton city police, without knocking on the door, placed a 48 hour tow sticker on the side window AND a $50.00 parking citation.

I was not aware of Denton's parking statue. Fortunately, many communities do allow short term parking.
2013 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2010 Cadillac SRX
41 REPLIES 41

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
free radical wrote:
If there is no sign prohibiting parking on the street how were you supposed to know not to park there?
Id fight that ticket..
To be fair they should give you a warning first..

Old saying - "Ignorance of the law is no excuse". Sure, one could "fight that ticket", then when you lose B**** to everyone who will listen to justify your loss. :R Guess what - nobody said life is fair. :R Rules don't exist for the individual but for the good of everyone ... sometimes they're well thought out, sometimes not, but they are the rules. If you don't like it then put the effort in to petition to have those rules changed. It's called living in a democracy ... count yourself lucky. 😉

Dude. You proved your point in the first 2 posts you made. Calm down and have a heart.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:
If there is no sign prohibiting parking on the street how were you supposed to know not to park there?
Id fight that ticket..

Old saying - "Ignorance of the law is no excuse". Sure, one could "fight that ticket", then when you lose B**** to everyone who will listen to justify your loss. :R Guess what - nobody said life is fair. :R Rules don't exist for the individual but for the good of everyone ... sometimes they're well thought out, sometimes not, but they are the rules. If you don't like it then put the effort in to petition to have those rules changed. It's called living in a democracy ... count yourself lucky. 😉
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry about your wife's health problems. All the best to you and yours; can't imagine having to go through that. The hospital where I work has 3 full-hookup sites w/cable TV and we also allow RV parking in the rear of some of our lots. But I found out the other day they are now charging $5.00 a night to stay there. I know that's not much, but $5.00 a night? Come on man...

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Matt_Colie wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
Here's the Denton law. You're not allowed to park an RV in a residential area:

Sec. 18-92.1. - Parking nuisances.
(a) It shall be unlawful for a person to park or store or allow another to park or store a recreational vehicle, travel trailer, boat or boat trailer, tow truck, truck, truck-tractor, pull trailer, semi-trailer or any vehicle other than a passenger car on any public right-of-way in any residential zoned district.

Azdryheat was nice enough to quote the statue, but there may be a hole in it. One needs to get into the city and state codes to find out if there is a legal definition of "Recreational Vehicle". My coach is on a passenger car registration. This is true of many states. Then it is up to them to prove it is not.

Matt
Spending a day in court, with a fifty fifty chance of winning at best, where the judge would have the ability to raise the fine, sure isn't worth fifty bucks to me. And if you don't pay the fine, you might get to cool your heels in the local jail, while your rig is towed to the impound lot, while they sort out your failure to appear warrant.
You could pay a good attorney a whole lot of money and improve that 50/50 chance, but that is a pretty high cost for defending a "principle" you really don't even hold because you yourself said you actually have "a coach with a passenger car registration". The OP should accept the fact that they violated the city ordinance and pay the fine.

If theres no sign on the road saying NO parking how was he supposed to know not to park there??

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Schertz wrote:
FYI:

Arrived in Denton Texas 3 days ago and parked in front of family members home for my wife to receive daily chemotherapy and radiation nearby.

Denton city police, without knocking on the door, placed a 48 hour tow sticker on the side window AND a $50.00 parking citation.

I was not aware of Denton's parking statue. Fortunately, many communities do allow short term parking.

Id fight that ticket..

mowingman
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Denton. There are two Walmarts here and both allow RV parking, if you want a free spot for a while. One near each major hospital.
There is also a small RV park with mostly long term residents, just a long block south of I35E, on Ft. Worth Dr., on the right, just past the Fulton Salvage facility. Nice quiet little park, but not much to look at. It is listed on the RV Park Reviews website.
Hope all goes well with the health issues youall are dealing with.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?"

That's life now in the 21st century 😛 ... I guess if we don't like it we can always leave. :W

Based on the outcomes of the next Ontario and Canadian elections, I will consider a move a bit further west. When the Prairie Provinces finally get fed up with the federal government and secede, I want to be on the right side of the border between them and Canada. :C
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
TennesseeBob wrote:
HadEnough wrote:
There are thousands of towns with these same RV laws. No overnight street parking for RVs is quite common throughout the USA.

Not in Dover,New Hampshire. I parked in the street in front of my parents house from 1975 to 2004 for a week to 10 days and no one bothered us .Even had the police cruise by without stopping 🙂

Wow!! "Live free or die!"

It's a good state.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:

That's life now in the 21st century 😛 ... I guess if we don't like it we can always leave. :W

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:

Ralph Cramden wrote:
I often wonder why I live in a small backwater podunk borough/township of about 400 people, where I can burn a tire, rebuild a car in the yard, cut down a tree, park my RV on the street, or paint my house fluorescent chartreuse if I want to. Oh the humanity.

And that's why ... can't say I'd really appreciate my neighbour burning tires or rebuilding a car in his yard. Yeah, the humanity. :R

A lot of tongue in cheek in my comment, as I haven't had to light up a tire for awhile or change my house color to look like a Barnum and Baily circus LOL. I do not care much for HOA's and over restrictive government entities however. We can burn leaves and other yard debris any day but Sunday. The older gent across the road from me has a 4 car garage behind the house, he restores hotrods as a hobby. Once in a while I can smell the paint when he's shooting one. Do I care? Not at all. He has the coldest beer in town in his garage. Would I care if he painted his house bright yellow? Park on the street oh my? If you were restricting me turning out of my driveway, I may come ask you to move while I get out if it was a physical impossibility to make the turn, but surely would not get flustered over it.

I have yet to have a problem with a neighbor since moving here 19 years ago, and if I would all it takes is a call over to the Township and it would be taken care of. Its called the International Property maintenance code, and it has enough teeth in it without being overly restrictive as HOA's and government bodies will get if allowed to run loose. I once bought a lot (actually almost bought a lot as I had hand money down) in Ocean City MD, back in the early 80's. I'll never forget during the process when I found out I had to have the local municipality come out to determine what scrubby pine trees I could cut down. Screw that. I've had a bad taste about that kind of thing since.

A bit of musical nostalgia for us old timers.....
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Schertz wrote:

Notwithstanding your reasons for being in Denton it's still your responsibility to be aware of any parking restrictions wherever you may plan to leave your rig for a period of time. Here in my own city street parking is governed by city bylaw, enforcement is a city function, and has nothing to do with the police which have far better ways to utilize their valuable resources. As far as "knocking on the door is concerned" I last year was ticketed for having my truck / trailer blocking the sidewalk after hitching up and briefly going inside the house to retrieve the dog, grab my phone, and double check everything was locked up properly. Annoying, but technically I was in violation even though common sense says if I'm hitching up then I am going to be transgressing the sidewalk, even briefly. When I paid the fine at city hall I asked why the parking officer couldn't have simply knocked on the door to ask how long I was going to be ... the answer, he legally can't cross on to my property and this operating procedure has been put in place to avoid any possibility of confrontation. Even if I hadn't been inside the house when the officer pulled up he technically could still have ticketed me - dumb, but those are the rules. In your case you broke the rule(s) so you have to pay the penalty, regardless of why you were there.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Matt_Colie wrote:
azdryheat wrote:

(a) It shall be unlawful for a person to park or store or allow another to park or store a recreational vehicle, travel trailer, boat or boat trailer, tow truck, truck, truck-tractor, pull trailer, semi-trailer or any vehicle other than a passenger car on any public right-of-way in any residential zoned district.

Azdryheat was nice enough to quote the statue, but there may be a hole in it. One needs to get into the city and state codes to find out if there is a legal definition of "Recreational Vehicle". My coach is on a passenger car registration. This is true of many states. Then it is up to them to prove it is not.

Matt

I suspect the registration would not be what they take to determine if it's a passenger car.

The statute is remarkably strict. Parking a motorcycle on the street in a residential neighborhood is clearly forbidden. Pickup trucks may also be disqualified, though I'd venture they make up a substantial portion of the cars (broadly speaking) in Texas.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
azdryheat wrote:

Matt
Spending a day in court, with a fifty fifty chance of winning at best, where the judge would have the ability to raise the fine, sure isn't worth fifty bucks to me. And if you don't pay the fine, you might get to cool your heels in the local jail, while your rig is towed to the impound lot, while they sort out your failure to appear warrant.
You could pay a good attorney a whole lot of money and improve that 50/50 chance, but that is a pretty high cost for defending a "principle" you really don't even hold because you yourself said you actually have "a coach with a passenger car registration". The OP should accept the fact that they violated the city ordinance and pay the fine.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Matt_Colie wrote:

Matt

I get it, but let us know how that turns out lol............Having had went into the squared circle with city hall once or twice I have found it seldom turns out well.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?