cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Tires

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a new Grand Designs Reflection 295RL and it came with West Lake Super ST225/75R15LRE which has a speed rating of "L" (75mph)
Just as a video about someone changing to Goodyear Endurance which has a higher speed rating of 85 and some side wall features other dont have. The WastLake tires made in China and the Goodyear made in USA. He only had 3,000 or so miles on the tires and was worried they wouldnt last. 3,000 miles, I do more than double that in a season. I had LT235/85R16E on my other 5er and would run them for 4 seasons or aprox 30,000 miles. So guess I will run the ST's on my new 5er for a year and then go to 16" LT's. Not a big fan of ST tires
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel
22 REPLIES 22

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The GD Reflections 295RL shows to be the 150 series with a 10195 gvwr and in no way needs a load G tire at 4080-4400 lbs per tire.
Fully loaded the 10k trailer can have a 2000 lb hitch weight leaving 8000 lbs on the axles = around 2000 lb per tire. Now add a whoppin' 20 percent reserve capacity = a 2400 lb rated tire.
A LT225/75-16 E at 2680 lb = 10700 lbs or the LT235/85-16 E at 3042 lbs = 12000 lbs.
I run my 16" LT E on the 5er for 7-8 years and 50k-55k miles ....zero issues (two sets so far).
But I betcha' pepperkid knows all this.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
ksbowman wrote:
After 2 blowouts on Westlakes on our GD 303rls I changed to Goodyear Endurance and they have been great. I am a fanatic about always checking air pressure before starting off each day and I use an infrared gun to check for heat build up at each stop checking bearings and tires. Never noticed any heat buildup in the tires before the blow. Didn't know about a warranty on the Westlakes or I would have taken pictures and saved the carcasses for new tires for my utility trailer.

Due mostly to what I read on this forum I traded nearly brand new Chinese tires for a set of GY Endurance at my local tire shop. They gave me a decent credit for the trade.

Again, from reading here, I recently got a Tire Traker TT-500 TPMS. Thatโ€™ll take care of watching pressure and temperatures. But, since the camper is in winter storage, itโ€™ll be an April installation ๐Ÿ˜‰
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
No where near enough load capacity with those tires and that size fifth wheel..do yourself a favor and dump the tires now and install sme Sailun S637 G rated 14 ply tires

Your pocket book will love you down the road because those E rated tires wonโ€™t handle the load.

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have Westlake's on my OR. Mine are 16 inch G rated.
We already have 7000 miles on them and they are doing fine. I do not plan to change them out until they age out.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
For Westlake tire warranty info, click here>
ksbowman wrote:
After 2 blowouts on Westlakes on our GD 303rls I changed to Goodyear Endurance and they have been great. I am a fanatic about always checking air pressure before starting off each day and I use an infrared gun to check for heat build up at each stop checking bearings and tires. Never noticed any heat buildup in the tires before the blow. Didn't know about a warranty on the Westlakes or I would have taken pictures and saved the carcasses for new tires for my utility trailer.

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
I put Michelin XPS Ribs on my 2007 5er a year after we bought it new. After 9 years I replaced them last year due to age, not wear. Only had about 22,000 miles on them but they still looked almost new with tread barely worn and no weather cracking. Would add 2-3 lbs air in spring and good for rest of year.

New set of Ribs on it now. Michelin recommends annual checks after 5 years and replace at 10. Unless wear dictates it before that of course.

X2!!
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

handsome51
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
I put Michelin XPS Ribs on my 2007 5er a year after we bought it new. After 9 years I replaced them last year due to age, not wear. Only had about 22,000 miles on them but they still looked almost new with tread barely worn and no weather cracking. Would add 2-3 lbs air in spring and good for rest of year.

New set of Ribs on it now. Michelin recommends annual checks after 5 years and replace at 10. Unless wear dictates it before that of course.

10/4 on the XPS RIbs, my 2006 Carriage came with made in china tires which lasted 7000 miles before they started growing and having a bulge on the side. I replaced them with XPS Ribs and have never had a problem .

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Doesn't GD warrant the tires for 5 years?

No tire warranty from GD only from the tire manufacutre
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
CALandLIN wrote:
hotpepperkid wrote:
I just purchased a new Grand Designs Reflection 295RL and it came with West Lake Super ST225/75R15LRE which has a speed rating of "L" (75mph)
Just as a video about someone changing to Goodyear Endurance which has a higher speed rating of 85 and some side wall features other dont have. The WastLake tires made in China and the Goodyear made in USA. He only had 3,000 or so miles on the tires and was worried they wouldnt last. 3,000 miles, I do more than double that in a season. I had LT235/85R16E on my other 5er and would run them for 4 seasons or aprox 30,000 miles. So guess I will run the ST's on my new 5er for a year and then go to 16" LT's. Not a big fan of ST tires

Using the new RVIA recommendations for origional equipment RV trailer tires, to have a 10% reserve load capacity above vehicel GAWRs, as a qualifer, yours are more than adaquate. Replaceing them with another brand is probably just a reaction to antidotal information. Unless you have have had a negative personal experance with the OE brand.

Never heard of WestLake and when I replace them it sure the heck wont be be with ST tires but with LT's

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Chinese tires I have on my TT have been fine for 5 years now. But, I never go far from home and only put a couple of thousand miles on them a year. And, it is a TT that only weighs 4600 pounds loaded.

If they look good I will run them another year.

I don't know of any places in my area that could sell you anything except Chinese tires. But, I haven't looked.

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
hotpepperkid wrote:

Using the new RVIA recommendations for origional equipment RV trailer tires, to have a 10% reserve load capacity above vehicel GAWRs, as a qualifer, yours are more than adaquate. Replaceing them with another brand is probably just a reaction to antidotal information. Unless you have have had a negative personal experance with the OE brand.

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:

Clearly a misapplication by tire industry standards (size & load capacity) and Michelin replacement standards (size & load capacity) that you have had success with.

Click Here!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't GD warrant the tires for 5 years?