cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV toilet question

Bergy464
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2009 KZ camper with a "aqua-magic style plus" toilet. My issue is upon pressing the flush pedal the gate opens immediately with the water flowing shortly after. I've looked at different things with the toilet and can't seem to find a way to have the water run without the gate opening.

Anybody have insight into this toilet and getting water to flow into the toilet without opening the gate?

Thanks in advance.
2012 Ford F-350 King Ranch DRW
2009 KZ Inferno 3812
16 REPLIES 16

Bergy464
Explorer
Explorer
Update, Ron was right on. I purchased a rebuild kit (34117) for my model 34420 Thetford Style Plus toilet. I put in the new washer, waste ball and it works perfect. The old waste ball was porous and the gasket was bad. Now with the new equipment and added resistance the waste ball does not open right away allowing water for flow and fill the toilet.

Hopefully this will help someone with the same issue.
2009 KZ Inferno 3812

Bergy464
Explorer
Explorer
Ron, Thank You! That's what I was looking for.
2009 KZ Inferno 3812

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
OP - I think I know what your problem is because I had the same problem 2months ago. In my case, the toilet also wouldn't hold water after finishing the flush process for more than a few minutes helping provide a clue.

The way the wire mechanism in the back works is to slide in a slot on the plastic valve due to resistance between the plastic toilet gate and the rubber gasket around it. If the screws/bolts (4) holding the top of the toilet assembly down tightly, and thereby compressing the gasket around the gate, loosen up the gate/rubber friction isn't high enough to slide the wire in it's channel and it just opens the gate right away.

In my case I completely took the toilet off and took things apart trying to understand how everything worked before discovering the root issue. After the fact I understood I could just remove the shroud around the base to tighten the bolts/nuts holding the top of the toilet to the bottom and compressing the rubber gasket. After tightening these the bowl held water again, and the fill without flush when initially depressing the footpedal worked again too.

Not a difficult fix once you know what the issue is, probably take you 30min including fumbling around and double-checking everything.
Good luck,
Ron
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Install" a large measuring cup (however big you need) or mug in sink.

To be more specific, Using a 1 cup measure manually fill toilet, Note how many times you need to dump in a cup to get the level you wish.

now get that same size measure cup (They come in 1,2 and 4 cup sizes as well as fractional cup sizes) Glass or Mug and put it in the sink.. Then manually fill the toilet using said container.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bergy464
Explorer
Explorer
LadyRVer, wish mine did that:-). Glad you learned on yours.
2009 KZ Inferno 3812

roman_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same toilet in our rig. It flushes great, but to refill the bowl you have to have a ballerinas touch or it will flush again. If we just barely touch the pedal it will slowly fill.

RT

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Update...after reading and posting, I went in and tried lifting the pedal up with my toes. Unreal. Water came in just like it was supposed to. I have owned this fiver for 9 months and have put up with that problem the whole time. Won't even write how many times I cleaned a plugged tank out due to insufficient water....I know could have added water via a gallon jug, but a pain when hooked up to full hookups.

Never to old to learn. Thanks, O P.

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
I just posted this in the C MH section, having to do with dry camping, but it applies in this query also.

I have a 2 gallon bottle of water (old laundry soap container) to partially fill the toilet.

1. It's faster and easier to charge the toilet by pouring water in, rather than dancing on the foot pedal.

2. I use that same container to rinse the black tank after dumping and also to put a measured amount of water in the black tank.

3. The laundry bottle has two openings, so empties very quickly.

4. Saves using fresh tank water for operating the toilet.

Norm
F1BNorm

path1
Explorer
Explorer
"to add water press half way"

http://www.thetford.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Owners-Manual-Aqua-Magic-Style-II.pdf
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
The actuating rod for the flush valve rides in a slot on the water valve actuator at the back of the Plus. When ours gets a little stiff causing the same symptom you have, I give it a squirt of dry silicone and it's good to go for at least several months.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bergy464
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I wasn't clear enough. I've watched the videos, read the manuals, done all that. Lifted up, down half way, barely, everything, dug around on it and can't seem to find a way to adjust. LadyRVer, I wonder if I have similar issue/model line, kinda sucks.

Was curious if anyone had that same model as me and knows how to adjust if possible.

Thanks again.
2009 KZ Inferno 3812

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine does the same thing as OP. No midway point to add water. First one to not have the add water feature.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Aqua Magic magic flush....
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
On one pedal toilets, they work in a couple ways.

1. With your toe, lift the pedal up. This lets water in. Then after you get water in, press the pedal down and dump and it will begin flowing water in a second.

2. Barely push the pedal and it will start the water. Push harder and the valve will open with the water running.

My current TT falls under category #2. My first Camper, back in 2006, used #1 method above.