cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Saw these super cool RVs today

RandK-M
Explorer
Explorer
I saw these really cool RVs today in the Lowes parking lot. They were very tall and obviously off road with massive military style wheels. Looks like something you might find on the Outback. Lots of people were stopping to look. Their website (http://looking4adventure.de/)needs a login, but it looks like they're based in Germany and travel the world.

That big storage box on the back of the larger one has a winch type crane to raise and lower it.

Jayco 17Z
Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Prodigy P2
Equal-i-zer Hitch
US Navy Veteran
55 REPLIES 55

jims1
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the one's you see are retired, refurbished military vehicles. Parts are available everywhere and are common. Mercedes made tens of thousands of these for alot of the worlds armys. If I could afford it, I'd have one in a heartbeat.
Volvo dually Pickup
DRV Memphis
Me, Alie, and Salie
Fulltiming

jeepfreak
Explorer
Explorer
I saw those same 2 vehicles on I-95 north in Maine yesterday !
2007 Allegro 34wa Workhorse 8.1, Allison 6-speed. Bow Tie powered 79 CJ-7 Toad or 2014 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Toad

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gary,

I'd rather see a pic of a boat up on top of your 6X6 Class C. ๐Ÿ˜‰

BTW, I just came back from a lake trip towing our small aluminum boat behind our Class C. The water's edge was nearly reaching to my front driver's side door point before we could launch it on a very shallow ramp. I'm sure glad then that our rig has good ground clearance from over-size tires and a swept up rear end design!

(I'm kind of embarrassed though ... when taking the boat out I discovered the trailer's built-in shallow water launch tip-up feature. I didn't have to back out in the water nearly as far.)
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
FWIW, my 4X4 GMC pickup - with my Honda generator thrown in the back, a fresh water tank thrown in the back, a porta-potta thrown in the back, a LPG stove thrown in the back, an electric heater thrown in the back, a waterproof tent thrown in the back, an electric fan thrown in the back, extra gas cans thrown in the back, etc. thrown in the back - makes a very capable and completely self-contained off road camping setup too ... at a lot less money. :C

Well yeah..but what about bragging rights? Putting up a pic of your loaded to the gunwales pick-up isn't nearly as sexy as a pic of a $$$ war wagon. Wanna see another pic of my winch?

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW, my 4X4 GMC pickup - with my Honda generator thrown in the back, a fresh water tank thrown in the back, a porta-potta thrown in the back, a LPG stove thrown in the back, an electric heater thrown in the back, a waterproof tent thrown in the back, an electric fan thrown in the back, extra gas cans thrown in the back, etc. thrown in the back - makes a very capable and completely self-contained off road camping setup too ... at a lot less money. :C
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Gau8 wrote:
No one is asking you to buy one. Cant you just take it for what it is? A very capable OFF ROAD vehicle that is self contained.

Correct not a pretend Off Road vehicle that has problems getting Off Road.

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
No one is asking you to buy one. Cant you just take it for what it is? A very capable OFF ROAD vehicle that is self contained.

travelnutz wrote:
I know some people would give their right arm to have an RV like those and happy for them but I wouldn't part with even 50 bucks for one.

They're ugly and don't enthuse me at all. In our 50 years this year of RVing with so many different types of RVs, we have yet to find a place we want to go or be that a good 4 wheel drive truck couldn't get to even while carrying a small light or meduim TC. No, roads are not needed let alone a designated CG. We have boondocked in outback areas a lot over the years so it's not that we don't have any experience in it. All our RV's are and have been self-contained. Just my feelings...

MrWizard
few years back i saw the rolling hotel at monument valley Az CG
everbody had a hand in the setup and clean up, the bus crew did the cooking and kitchen duty
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

m37charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Our Unicat expedition camper has a black water tank (50L) and gray water tank (80L). And I use them of course.

Charlie

resmas
Explorer
Explorer
Slownsy wrote:
Resmas I hav herd off on or to Americans not doing the right ting also. What has that got to do with the wehicles .

There were no gray/black hookups visible on the driver's side like you see on most RV's. The "stuff" came straight down below where the bathroom was, and where the sink was. Therefore, it led me to the conclusion that they either do not have tanks, or just don't use them. The ones I saw were obviously plumbed different than US RV's.
2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Resmas I hav herd off on or to Americans not doing the right ting also. What has that got to do with the wehicles .
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
Other than use in the deserts these things are almost useless in North America. We just don't have a lot of 4x4 type roads that these would fit on. I wasn't saying they are bad for what they are designed to do, it's just that I can do a lot more exploring in my current Class A with a could of quads on a trailer than these guys can do in only these rigs.

Or a Jeep/Car for that matter, a little bit quicker. I agree the US does not have the "Let us explore" the wilderness mentality you get elsewhere. More RVers go to established campsites in the US/Canada.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Pnichols wrote:
As for myself regardless of how much $$$$ I might have - and considering I have no desire to travel in third world countries due to the deteriorating conditions in many of them for the personal safety of Americans - I'll take one of these go-anywhere-in-North-America-including-low-overhead-clearance vehicles based on a one-ton class 4X4 pickup.

You will find a lot of third world countries with generally reasonable roads.(some have similar to the US). What the Expedition rigs have been developed for are places where there are NO ROADS i.e extreme Northern Siberia or Mongolia.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Travelnutz wrote:
BTW, as a poster stated, these are for 3rd world booney travel and hardly needed for nearly all of North America.

Not needed for a lot of other parts of the world as well. They are designed for Extreme Off Road travel.