cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Scooters

wkrp
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 30" TT so there is no way to haul a golf cart with us.

Does anyone use one of the little motorbikes to get around on? Seems like they would be small enough to throw in the back of the TV.
21 REPLIES 21

sonora
Explorer
Explorer
rodsterinfl wrote:
Hmm

Two days ago I purchased a Yamaha Vino 50cc scooter for camping. I also bought a ramp for it to roll it up into the truck bed (I have a trailer). They are street legal - tagged, but today I had an incident with a young man who was aggravated that he was behind me in traffic. I was doing 32mph on a 30mph street but I guess he had a problem with being behind a scooter. He flew around me in an intersection. My point. After a day or so of riding it around. I am not sure that a 50cc is much of a commuter. It is quite capable at 40mph but it is the other drivers that I am concerned about.

I am not sure at this point, what to do. Today brought some apprehension as he was right up on my rear moving side to side EVEN though we were traveling at speed limit! He was so determined to get in front of me that he probably did not realize that he was going as fast as the law allowed anyway.

It's best to just pull off to the side and let these self absorbed idiots pass and speed off down the road.

Stay safe!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Marsland wrote:
pitch wrote:
In the picture I see a kid having a great time with dad. Dad looks young physically fit and I have no reason to believe he does not have the balance and agility of most men in their prime. If he does dump it chances are that the kid will be scraped and bruised.
I venture that is just as dangerous to have that child any place outside a padded cocoon. Take a kid camping? Think of the many many things that could injure him.
Just a small list off the top of my head, (unless the child is confined to the RV):
Swimming/ Drowning
Hiking/ Sprained ankle/poison ivy/snake bite/dog bite/getting lost/stick in eye,(especially if running)
Fishing/ Hook in flesh/drowning
camp fire/immolation
eating at the potluck supper/food poisoning
climbing a tree/falls broken limbs/concussion/or death
Camp playground/ broken limbs/scratches/cuts/and bruises
trip to and from camp/collisions

Listening to some people here/Growing up to be a wimp, living in a nanny state where every activity is is regulated by people that know.

It's for the children you know!

X2, too many kids sitting in their padded playpen with an electronic toy. OH the eye strain!!!

quite some rationalization. but I will withhold my true feelings and comments unless and until helmsey tries to justify it.
bumpy

Marsland
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
In the picture I see a kid having a great time with dad. Dad looks young physically fit and I have no reason to believe he does not have the balance and agility of most men in their prime. If he does dump it chances are that the kid will be scraped and bruised.
I venture that is just as dangerous to have that child any place outside a padded cocoon. Take a kid camping? Think of the many many things that could injure him.
Just a small list off the top of my head, (unless the child is confined to the RV):
Swimming/ Drowning
Hiking/ Sprained ankle/poison ivy/snake bite/dog bite/getting lost/stick in eye,(especially if running)
camp fire/immolation

Listening to some people here/Growing up to be a wimp, living in a nanny state where every activity is is regulated by people that know.

X2, too many kids sitting in their padded playpen with an electronic toy. OH the eye strain!!!
1 (Re)tired DH
1 Terrific DW
2012 Keystone Bullet 284RLS
2012 Ford F150 S/Crew ECOBoost
ScanGaugeII

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
Swimming/ Drowning
camp fire/immolation

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wouldn't want anything that wasn't fast enough to get out of its own way. Mopeds and 50cc scooters fall into that category. If I need some acceleration I want to have it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MrWizard
rodsterinfl wrote:
Hmm

Two days ago I purchased a Yamaha Vino 50cc scooter for camping. I also bought a ramp for it to roll it up into the truck bed (I have a trailer). They are street legal - tagged, but today I had an incident with a young man who was aggravated that he was behind me in traffic. I was doing 32mph on a 30mph street but I guess he had a problem with being behind a scooter. He flew around me in an intersection. My point. After a day or so of riding it around. I am not sure that a 50cc is much of a commuter. It is quite capable at 40mph but it is the other drivers that I am concerned about.

I am not sure at this point, what to do. Today brought some apprehension as he was right up on my rear moving side to side EVEN though we were traveling at speed limit! He was so determined to get in front of me that he probably did not realize that he was going as fast as the law allowed anyway.

he knew the speed limit
his problem was he thought you could not go faster and did not want to be stuck behind you
he wanted you to pull over and let him by so he could speed

i've had mopeds, no-peds (noped..no bicycle pedals) and motorcycles for many years

for light & easy
you can't beat a 1979 Honda NC Express 49cc two stroke "No Ped"
oil pump no fuel mixing,
spring loaded starting, no pedaling, no kicking
weights 90# dry weight
top speed 32>34 mph

Honda express NA50

NC express

video Honda adv 1980 express, scroll down page
1980 Honda Express TV adv

previous ride .. 80cc scooter 220#

current ride 150cc almost 300#
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

slarsen
Explorer
Explorer
You can add a gasoline motor to a bicycle, but you can also retrofit an electric motor. It's easy to google either option. An electric retrofit may even escape notice, as the motor is in the wheel's hub and the battery is on a bracket behind the seat, and obviously they are quiet.

But as someone said earlier, you aren't likely to go into town with an electric retrofit, because you may end up peddling your way back. OTOH, people are used to seeing and giving way to bicycles so maybe the road rage incidents wouldn't be an issue, versus a slow scooter.

MeandMyLabs
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Yamaha Zuma 2003 model 49cc and have put about 5000 miles on it! I ride it a lot but my self rule is to avoid highways with lines. Lots of paved back roads in Illinois. In Illinois, a license and insurance is required but no special drivers license. I have had a couple of drivers tailgate me on a city street but very few problems.
2017 Salem Hemisphere
2009 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.0 L

rodsterinfl
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on that most parks, CG's do not allow motorized bikes.

I traveled with some people that had those small electric bikes. The DH had some physical disabilities that prohibited him from walking long distances. His electric bike had three wheels i.e. trike and the DW had the 2 wheel one. This enabled both of them to get out of the RV everyday and enjoy the outdoors. They run around 200 less if you find them on ebay.

I have a regular bike I carry with me in the RV and I am thinking of replacing it with one of those electric scooters. Keep in mind though that they are not as light as you would think. My senior friends did have difficulty lifting them to put inside the MH.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Georgew48
Explorer
Explorer
camperpaul wrote:
A lot of the state, county and municipal parks require those things to be "street legal".

i.e. License plate(s), headlight, tail and brake lights, turn signals and insurance.
That's true for Ohio State Parks. The park roads are county roads and have the sam,e laws as any other road in the state. Kids cannot even use ther little battery powere Barbie jeeps or other battery powered vehicles/scooters. Rangers will ticket you.
2015 Georgetown XL 377 TS 38 foot motorhome.
1929 Model A Ford Sport Coupe
2009 Honda TRX 420FA Red (Hers)
2009 Honda TRX 420FA White (Mine)
1999 Chaparral 2130 SS limited edition ski boat

Road-Trekker
Explorer
Explorer
I use my "Roadtrek Electric Scooter",seen below. Actually...it's a fixed-up old X-Treme X-250 electric scooter fitted with wooden board with RT logo, a headlight, and a brake light.

By the way, I have seen our local Costco stores selling good priced E-Zip scooters last summer, they might carry it again.

Roadtrek Agile SS: Roadtrek Modifications

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our moped (49cc) is registered in our home state (they don't issue a license plate) and we have it with us and do use it sometimes. Some parks will not allow any type of scooter,moped,motorbike. Other parks will allow it because it is a legally registered street legal moped, but will not allow anything that is not street legal.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is always the CRICKET the video in the ad show it being loaded into a SUV or a pickup.

Just another Idea.I'm thinking of getting one to haul on the back of my Class C. I'm tall and I fit in it.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C