cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SeaDoo behind the Towed

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
So yes I do have supplemental brakes in my Blazer. Next question is I would like to take on or my SeaDoos with us on a single trailer, has anybody pulled a small trailer behind their towed behind there motorhome. Here is a shot of the blazer and SeaDoo. I have a 10,000 blue ox tow bar.

SeaDoo tracks perfect with no swap ever. Blazer by itself behind Winnebago has no sway and tows perfect. I haven't pulled them both yet. Seadoo on the trailer is less than 800 lbs.

56 REPLIES 56

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
I would do it. I have educated a CHP officer on towing doubles and as long as i am diligent and know i am right will do it again.

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
SoCalDesertRider wrote:
overdrive75 wrote:
Think I am just going to tow the blazer which is towing the jetski.
I think we've already established that that's not legal in your state...

If you were to trade the blazer in on a pickup, you could carry the seadoo in the back of the pickup. Then everything's completely legal.

We never estabilished that.....law pertains to passenger vehicles and pickups. In the michigan motor vehicle code a motorhome has a clear definition and it is not defined as a pickup or passenger vehicle. Therefore the law does not specify it as legal or illegal. Now if I were to hook this combination to my Silverado it would be illegal, but the motorhome it is not defined either way.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
overdrive75 wrote:
I think we've already established that that's not legal in your state...

If you were to trade the blazer in on a pickup, you could carry the seadoo in the back of the pickup. Then everything's completely legal.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer

byrdnest6
Explorer
Explorer
I imagine that you could make the tow bar exactly the same length as a single jet ski trailer. Picture the watercraft loaded exactly the same as normal, however at the back of the tow bar (trailer) it would be connected to the vehicle being towed by the RV. As far as launching it if you had an axle under your "tow bar" you could drop it to the ground and then hook it up to your vehicle that you towed with your RV and then launch it as normal. Granted it might be kind of difficult to drop to the ground when you get to the destination and convert your tow bar to back to a jet ski trailer mode.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
The vehicle being towed by the tow bar would have to be completely under water, in order to float the seadoo off the tow bar....
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
IIRC, on a seadoo the bulk of weight, engine, jet drive, etc. is at the rear which will put immense pressure on the receiver. that plus bouncing going over bumps will make this less than desirable, to say the least.
bumpy

byrdnest6
Explorer
Explorer
Just drive into the boat launch then the seadoo will float of using the caster wheel under the ball. Hitch wt . will be a little high but nothing a motorhome cant handle. It can be done and will make a lot od heads turn.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
byrdnest6 wrote:
many years ago my son had a 3 wheeler and we would take it to Silverlake Sand Dunes with the motor home & jeep, I fabricated a very long tow bar to put the three wheeler on {a wheeless trailer}. It had a caster wheel under the ball so we could move it around when we got to the site. This worked great. This would work for your Seadoo. Looking at your trailer you could remove the axel, Weld brackets on the rear of the trailer to batch the blue OX brackets on the front of the Blazer. Bingo you have it.
If wishing to haul the seadoo mounted on top of the tow bar, build a new, much longer and heavier duty tow bar, to carry the seadoo.

Generally speaking, RV tow bars are not made to carry any tongue weight at all and seadoos are rather heavy. Also, seadoos are quite long and would never fit on the length of a typical RV tow bar.

How the seadoo would be launched into the lake from atop a tow bar with a towed vehicle behind it, is a completely other question that would require some creative thinking...
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed

byrdnest6
Explorer
Explorer
many years ago my son had a 3 wheeler and we would take it to Silverlake Sand Dunes with the motor home & jeep, I fabricated a very long tow bar to put the three wheeler on {a wheeless trailer}. It had a caster wheel under the ball so we could move it around when we got to the site. This worked great. This would work for your Seadoo. Looking at your trailer you could remove the axel, Weld brackets on the rear of the trailer to batch the blue OX brackets on the front of the Blazer. Bingo you have it.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
overdrive75 wrote:
Well, I am still waiting on the answer from the MSP, however in the mean time I have dug through the Michigan motor vehicle code. They never clearly define passenger vehicle or pickup truck....That said they do define motorhome and recreational vehicle, very clearly. The section about trailer towing clearly states passenger vehicle and pickup truck. It does not say motorhome in this section. Also I see in Section 257.1401-F that a motorhome is not included as a passenger vehicle. It looks like I have found a hole in the law, that is not clearly defined......based on this I am good to go, will have to see MSP's response.

This is where a stacker is best, even though I am over weight no LEO can tell by me driving by but double towing can be noticed and as well as the length, what if you wanted to travel into other states with double tow, you going to check the laws every where you go, don't find yourself in Oregon or Washington because there is no loop holes its just a big no double towing period..

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
overdrive75 wrote:
Also I see in Section 257.1401-F that a motorhome is not included as a passenger vehicle. It looks like I have found a hole in the law, that is not clearly defined......based on this I am good to go, will have to see MSP's response.

Just keep in mind that an overzealous LEO still may ticket you and force you to unhook one of the trailers, then it will be a trip to court to let a judge decide if the hole applies to you.

Finding a hole in the law does not remove the possibility of the hassle of litigating it.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I am still waiting on the answer from the MSP, however in the mean time I have dug through the Michigan motor vehicle code. They never clearly define passenger vehicle or pickup truck....That said they do define motorhome and recreational vehicle, very clearly. The section about trailer towing clearly states passenger vehicle and pickup truck. It does not say motorhome in this section. Also I see in Section 257.1401-F that a motorhome is not included as a passenger vehicle. It looks like I have found a hole in the law, that is not clearly defined......based on this I am good to go, will have to see MSP's response.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
This is how I corrected my double tow issue, OPer you could do the same.

Legal in all 50 states and Canada..

Dude thats a bad ass setup! You the Man!!!
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker