cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sewer odor inside of rig

lizbroughton
Explorer
Explorer
We had a new toilet installed now we have such an odor when flusing it isn't funny. It fills the whole motorhome with the smell. It smells more like sulphur then anything else. Please help. Thank You.
Vince & Liz Delpidio
Jerry, Princess, Lizzie and Emily ๐Ÿ˜‰
2007 CT Coachworks 40' Siena
Master Tow, Tow Dolly
2012 Hyundai Tucson
18 REPLIES 18

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Could it be possible that the installer used some type of sealant during the installation and what you're smelling is the sealant off-gassing? Silicone sealant has a distinctive odor, something akin to vinegar.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

buzzard616
Explorer
Explorer
Your post starts out 'we had a new toilet installed'. That suggests to me that everything was fine before.

That leaves two possibilities:
a) There is something wrong with the new toilet; or
b) The toilet was installed without the floor flange gasket or with the old one and it isn't up to the task.

Stu
Stu & Jackie Metcalfe
2000 Salem 27FKSS
2008 Sierra 2500 HD gasser

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that is the smell is only when flushing it could be your roof tank vent may be clogged &/or your tank needs to be thoroughly cleaned.

If you have a tank flushing system use it every time you dump until you get result. If you don't have this flushing system add some plain old blue Dawn (about 1/3 to 1/2 cup) fill the tank to almost completely full then take it for a drive or let it set unused for several hours. Then dump the tank and run water through the tank using water from a hose down the toilet or holding the flush lever until the water seems to run clearer. You may need to do this several times if there is a build-up.

As mentioned, always leave your black tank valve shut until it is quite full then dump and flush as needed. And fill the bowl with quite a bit of water to be sure there is more water in the tank than solids.

It can be very frustrating to ride down the road in an "outhouse". There are additives to help with the smell but some of those smell worse than what it's trying to cover up. Good luck!
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

Grillmeister
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good ideas so far. I had another thought, some of the toilets have an open area below the valve that catch debris.

IMO this type of toilet is gross and a bad design. I don't know the exact one, but I know it is a Thetford and is the least expensive one they sell and usually a hand flush. I have seen them go for about $100.

Once we figured out the design of this toilet, two friends of mine brought home brand new RV's and changed out the toilet the first day at home.

If you open the toilet valve and look in there with a flashlight you should see a straight pipe to the holding tank. If not and you see an open area, that may be your problem because there is no way to clean this catch area.

Just a thought.....
Show me the GRILL and STAND BACK!!!!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
lizbroughton wrote:
This odor is only when flushing it smells more like garlic. I am wondering if it is something to do with the seals. We won't be back in FL (repair man) till Nov. I guess we have to just grin and bear it.

IF you are only smell the odor WHEN you flush then the toilet seals are doing their job.......sealing out odors from tank

Now it sounds more like your black tank has an odor problem.
Solids dried out and have maybe piled up.
Need to really clean out the black tank.......1/4 full and dump several bags of ice cubes down toilet then go for a ride (travel day is good time). Then dump and flush tank.
May even need to get a 'digester' *fast acting enzyme to break up solids.

Any stuff stuck to bottom of tank will stink...the more stuff the more stink
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

lizbroughton
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck, BTW we met several years ago at an RV.NET Rally at Puddingstone ๐Ÿ™‚

As soon as I saw your name I knew I met you back in CA. WE are now fulltimers and living between NJ and FL. Take care and thanks for the info.
Vince & Liz Delpidio
Master Tow, Tow Dolly
2012 Hyundai Tucson

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
lizbroughton wrote:
This odor is only when flushing it smells more like garlic. I am wondering if it is something to do with the seals. We won't be back in FL (repair man) till Nov. I guess we have to just grin and bear it.

IMHO, JMHO I would call a mobile repair guy where you are at now and have it looked at. Sewer gas is just as dangerous as any other gas. You can become sick from it or worse in an enclosed area like a MH.

You should have someone look at it. Sure sounds like it was the installation if you didn't have that problem before.

x2 on that batteries smell like sulfur when they are boiling over.

I spent a whole week smelling sulfur and kept writing it off to the well water nearby.....that is until my fridge and AC stopped working correctly and found out my converter was overcharging the battery and boiling it to almost explosion time! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a fan on when you are flushing? Our Fantastic Fan will overpower the black tank roof vent and draw smells into the bathroom. Turn it off when actually flushing, it might help.

We also added Venturi roof vent caps that help.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Grillmeister
Explorer
Explorer
lizbroughton wrote:
I guess we have to just grin and bear it.

Hi Liz, In the mean time I have found this product to be very effective at reducing odors. It has a nice orange sent too.

It comes in a liquid and a powder and is also available on Amazon Best price when on sale is CW but shipping is super high.

For a problem as bad as you describe I would double or triple the dose, it will not hurt anything.

Good luck, BTW we met several years ago at an RV.NET Rally at Puddingstone ๐Ÿ™‚

Take care, Gary
Show me the GRILL and STAND BACK!!!!

lizbroughton
Explorer
Explorer
Vince & Liz Delpidio
Master Tow, Tow Dolly
2012 Hyundai Tucson

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a washer/dryer hook ups, the vent cap in the closet can be bad causing the smell to come in the rv. This happened in our fiver a few years ago. Could not figure out where the smell was coming from.
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
lizbroughton wrote:
We had a new toilet installed now we have such an odor when flusing it isn't funny. It fills the whole motorhome with the smell. It smells more like sulphur then anything else. Please help. Thank You.

Check your batteries......sulfur smell can be batteries boiling from overcharging
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
lizbroughton wrote:

If you had in installed by a repair man my first call would be immediately back to him and get his butt back out to fix it!!

Almost sounds like he did not tighten the screws correctly or install the seal properly or at all.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Have smelled some awful stink in RV's that was from the sinks and showers. The P trap dries out and lets woof come through. Run some water into every drain and see what happens.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen