cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shades that go on the OUTSIDE of a window?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
When I am in one spot for an extended time, and there are no trees, is there any sort of attractive product I can use?

My current location is ok for funky solutions, so I have strung up a sheet over the glass. And it makes an amazing diffetence, compared to a shade on the inside. But I'd like to find something a bit classier looking.

Any ideas?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
8 REPLIES 8

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you,everyone, for the ideas and keep 'em coming!

I actually HAVE neodynium magnets glued on my windows, because I use them to hold the inside curtains on. But there's no way those would stay on the outside, in the wind. I guess I would need some really giant magnets.

I'm trying to think if there is a way I can do velcro that would not be too unsightly when the shades are off..

How do the commercial snap/turnbuckle ones work? Do you glue the fasteners to the rig, same as magnets?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
The cool ones have Neyodium magnets in them and their counter part is glued inside so all you do is slide them into place. Buying the commercially might get expensive, but heavy duty shade screen, magnets, and someone that can sew might work out nicely

You are correct. Sew some pouches on your existing shades. Lookup neodymium magnets on the internet and figure what size and thickness you want of a given shape and order what you want. Actually if you shop a little prices are not that bad. Get some rear view mirror mount cement at Walmart and locate where you want them and glue away.
If yours are presently held in place with snaps on the bottom If accessible only use the magnets on the hard to reach areas. TOP.
jwmII

Dave_T_
Explorer
Explorer
We have used both the inside shades with suction cups and the outside with snaps. The outside worked much better keeping the heat out. Both were the same mesh material that you can see through. I am going to change out the current set with the suction cups to snaps and use them outside.
Dave & Vicki Tedesco
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2008 Escape Hybrid
Brake Buddy
Falcon Tow Bar

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if it is good enough looking but it works:

I use Reflectix cut to exact size of window. I use black heavy duty Velcro to hold it to window. On the Reflectix side I make the Velcro patches oversize so it sticks well. On my large back window I use 6 Velcro patches to hold on the Reflectix. I use it most for storage, but in very hot weather I won't hesitate to use it camping and I don't think it is too notable or unattractive if the Reflectix fits the window well. I occasionally have to replace the window Velcro patches using solvent to remove the residue-and keep the solvent from running into the window seal . But they last quite a while. The Reflectix lasts about 2 years using it for outdoor storage.

I find the shades outside the window are far more effective than anything inside the window.

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
Sun Shades

I use these on dark double pane windows. The shade keeps the windows from getting hot and transferring the heat to the inside. Most wind doesnt bother them. If it gets really windy I can easily just retract them.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
The cool ones have Neyodium magnets in them and their counter part is glued inside so all you do is slide them into place. Buying the commercially might get expensive, but heavy duty shade screen, magnets, and someone that can sew might work out nicely
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, koda55!

I wonder how they do in the wind....

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
We have window awnings from Shadpro on the driver side over our windows and they block the sun. They also have window covers.