cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should I get Weight Distribution, Sway Control or Both

Keen_Family
Explorer
Explorer
I'm close to finalizing a purchase of a 29 foot travel trailer, GVWR of 7700 lbs. The TV is a 2015 F150, with the 3.5 Ecoboost engine and max trailer towing package, with a towing capacity of 10,500 lbs. Part of the deal involves a set of sway bars - but after discussing this with the dealer today, I'm wondering if I'm better off with a weight distribution hitch or both. If I don't take the sway bars, I can likely take some other add on instead.
23 REPLIES 23

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes you need the WDH. Get it setup correctly to the point that the trailer does not sway at any speed. THEN add sway control. Sway control is for those times when sway is induced from making a emergency maneuver, or from outside sources. A properly setup trailer will not sway during normal towing. But it will IF you have to jerk the wheel to miss something. That is what sway control is for.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Keen Family wrote:

. Part of the deal involves a set of sway bars - but after discussing this with the dealer today, I'm wondering if I'm better off with a weight distribution hitch or both. If I don't take the sway bars, I can likely take some other add on instead.

Sounds like you are a little confused about what "sway bars" and weight distribution hitch or both really are and how they work.

Yes you need a weight distribution and anti-sway system. You can't go without with the combination you posted...

Equal-i-zer (brand), Reece Dual Cam, or Blue Ox would be good choices.

Congrats on you new rig and enjoy it all.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Some sort of sway control is ALWAYS a good idea even if you don't think you need it.

To determine if you need weight distribution, first find the ratings for your F-150's receiver. These will be on a sticker on the receiver itself, or in the owner's manual or some supplemental towing guide. If you cannot find the ratings anywhere, return the truck to the dealer and demand a full refund of your purchase price.

Now look at the literature for the trailer and find the GVWR and dry tongue weight values. Dry tongue weight is the LEAST your trailer's tongue will weigh. Hardly ever does the tongue get lighter as you load up to go camping.

Right off the bat, if:

Dry tongue weight of trailer > Receiver tongue weight rating without WD

You need a WD hitch.

That F-150 probably has a no-WD tongue weight rating of 500lbs. That trailer has a dry tongue weight of at least 600lbs...

600lbs > 500lbs

Yes, you need a WD hitch. Even better, pick one of the many out there that integrates sway control.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
There is no option - you need a WD hitch. Period.
You'll exceed the trucks hitch rating w/o one.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
your truck's owners manual should have an amount that it says you should use a WDH.
get one with integrated sway control, like the Equal-i-zer.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with those above. Spend the $800 and get an Equal-i-zer 4pt, Reese Dual Cam, or BlueOx. If you want to play, you gotta pay. And it's cheaper to buy the right tool the first time.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grandpere wrote:
Get an Equal-I-Zer brand hitch, then you have both, which you should have anyway for better control of the trailer and for keeping the proper weight on the front tires of the pickup.

The E2 hitches combine load distribution and anti-sway, as well.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
You definitely need a wd hitch at minimum. You will exceed the trucks receiver rating without one. Some sort of sway control would be advisable too. A properly loaded tt shouldn't sway, but it can be hard to achieve that. A wd hitch with built in sway control such as the Equil-I-zer, Reese dual cam or Blue or would suit well.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
Get an Equal-I-Zer brand hitch, then you have both, which you should have anyway for better control of the trailer and for keeping the proper weight on the front tires of the pickup.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity