cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Side bath vs split bath

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
We have only had split baths with the two fifth wheels we've had & overall like them. The toilet room is a little small but it usable. I like being able to close sliding door to living area & having openness of space in front of shower/ sink area & bedroom. I look at the side baths & I just don't think I would like them; even the ones with two doors.

With the split baths seeming to be used less in new units, tell me why you like yours (or not). When we upgrade I'm afraid that's all that will be available & I'm just afraid I'll hate it, so convince me I won't .
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT
29 REPLIES 29

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
I don't know what our bathroom is, but ours is in between the bedroom and the living area with a sliding door on each side. There is a small room with a door with the toilet and full size shower with vanity and sink outside that small room. It's like a seperate room. We like it because we can close the door to the living area and the person there has use of the toilet, sink, shower and the bedroom closets etc for dressing. I wouldn't want the bathroom as part of the bedroom, so would probably like the side bath better.

I think yours is what I consider a split bath. A side bath has toilet, sink & shower all in one room.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Split bath here. The all in one is the trend now but the split bath takes less floorplan space overall.

Lots of split bath trailers have very little space in the head. Don't know how some of them are useable at all. When looking we measured the distance from the front of the head to the wall to be sure that there was enough room.

To each his own but to us the all in one is an awful lot of space devoted to a room that not much time is spent in.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know what our bathroom is, but ours is in between the bedroom and the living area with a sliding door on each side. There is a small room with a door with the toilet and full size shower with vanity and sink outside that small room. It's like a seperate room. We like it because we can close the door to the living area and the person there has use of the toilet, sink, shower and the bedroom closets etc for dressing. I wouldn't want the bathroom as part of the bedroom, so would probably like the side bath better.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Mountain Mama wrote:
wannavolunteerFT wrote:

I like the fact that I can contain humidity from shower in the bathroom. I can't imagine dealing with the steam from a shower in the bedroom, would think it would cause all sorts of issues with everything stored in there. I guess if you live in a dry climate, it might not be an issue, but here in GA humidity is always a major concern.

I use the exhaust fan in the bedroom when we shower. Do you have an exhaust fan in your bathroom to take the excess moisture out?

Yes, I have an exhaust fan and use it.. but I like HOT showers and don't do Navy showers unless I absolutely have to. I guess it is a Southern thing... we always have humidity here, so I am always careful to contain shower moisture in bathroom.... in RV or S&B.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Mountain Mama wrote:
I use the exhaust fan in the bedroom when we shower. Do you have an exhaust fan in your bathroom to take the excess moisture out?

We do have an exhaust fan in our side bathroom, yes.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

davidaf
Explorer
Explorer
Had (have, see sig) and prefer the enclosed bathroom. It just feels more like "home" plus I don't feel like I'm sitting in a moving crate waiting to be shipped out when taking care of "business". Having said that, they cost a lot in space thus the reason our fulltime unit has a split.
2016 - Heartland Landmark Newport
2006 - Lance 1181
2005 - Fleetwood Prowler AX6 365BSQS - San Felipe Mexico Getaway!
2016 - Ram 3500 DRW

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I think the issue goes back to your first few RV's. Our first RV was a truck camper and then a Class C. On both the bathroom was an all in one and was small. When you buy that first big coach, your first must have is a larger bathroom. That usually included a split bath where the salesman showed you all that walk around room between the shower and the bath. I would guess the majority of the late 90's through 2005 RV's came with the split bath.

Now people want more and are demanding the rear bath with all the room. Our last DP was a side aisle with an all in one bath. We loved it. It was private, large and felt like we were at home.

If you're looking at a larger RV, give the all in one or side aisle bathrooms a chance. They're not like the old bathrooms you had in your first coach.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mountain Mama wrote:
wannavolunteerFT wrote:
I have the side bath and like it... I can close off hallway just in front of bathroom if I want with a curtain rod that I hung across opening. My large wardrobe cabinet is in hall directly across from bathroom.

I like the fact that I can contain humidity from shower in the bathroom. I can't imagine dealing with the steam from a shower in the bedroom, would think it would cause all sorts of issues with everything stored in there. I guess if you live in a dry climate, it might not be an issue, but here in GA humidity is always a major concern.

X2

Moisture is not an issue, even in the cold damp PNW. For sure was not an issues last week, we went 8 days on tanks alone (no full hookups). DW and I showered seven of the eight days, so Navy showers were the order od the day.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
wannavolunteerFT wrote:
I have the side bath and like it... I can close off hallway just in front of bathroom if I want with a curtain rod that I hung across opening. My large wardrobe cabinet is in hall directly across from bathroom.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer

2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

therink
Explorer
Explorer
We prefer side aisle bath, especially with kids. My wife also likes the privacy and warmth a side aisle bath provides when showering.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
BB_TX wrote:
We much prefer the split bath. Primarily because of the more open roomier feel and look of the bedroom. Most all the enclosed bath plans make the bedroom feel like you are in a closet. But it does seem as fewer new models are coming out in that plan. I think a big issue is modesty and some lack of privacy with the split plans. Not a problem for us.

X2!

Wow, you took the words right out of my mouth. We see a side bath as a waste of space, the hall it creates is wasted floor space!!!
We love the roominess that you have in the "Master Suite". the openness of the bedroom is great.

I don't understand the privacy issue, the toilet has a door. We bring a guest many times and she simply closes the sliding door to the bedroom to shower.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We much prefer the split bath. Primarily because of the more open roomier feel and look of the bedroom. Most all the enclosed bath plans make the bedroom feel like you are in a closet. But it does seem as fewer new models are coming out in that plan. I think a big issue is modesty and some lack of privacy with the split plans. Not a problem for us.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
My wife wouldn't consider any floorplan with a split bath. She didn't like the idea of showering in the bedroom.

AND- we often have guests, so having a side bath is better for us because they can close the room off.

But, our bathroom is very roomy. The shower itself is 48" x 30". The toilet faces the sink. As a bigger guy, it gives me plenty of room to sit down and be comfortable when I need to do my thing. The bathroom is big enough that we are both able to be in there if one is peeing and the other is at the sink; it's cozy, but it works.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had both and like the split better myself. Think having both available for use at the same time is a plus. Seems that designs have a end. Twin bed options are all but gone, units with no slides can not be had except really short ones, the only thing that remains is some of the bad taste the designers have for interior dรฉcor.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT