cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new life

beachjumper1
Explorer
Explorer
lastday at work feb 28 or sooner,start summer job april or snowmelt. we saw the signs,, friends passing too soon ,busness closing cat dieing. the time was right and we got the exect host job we wanted. everyone says "go now" we are.
25 REPLIES 25

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
I wish you luck and also wish I could be you. I through P-Poor-Planning and poor luck in investing, and a wife that does not want to live the full-time lifestyle will not be able to do your dream/plan. It looks like even at 66 I will still be in the rat race for another 4-5 years. I see no real retirement and can only hope that after the race is over, I am still kicking and can at least get a month or two of use out of the RV each year. Will enough whining, again good luck and may the end be what you dreamed it would be.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

fullmoonoversal
Explorer
Explorer
I met a guy last fall who "hosted"at WalMart all over the country. They would stay 2 nights. Got a bucket and cleaned the parking lot for each one. Got carts and put them in the Corral, and other things. Not that he didn't camp elsewhere, but he once worked for WM and decided to do this. He hot to meet a lot of people that way. The management of WalMart wrote him up for some kind of newsletter. Now if I recruit him for State Parks.
2017 Coachmen Galleria

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the never tried it camp mentioned above. The difference is, since we retired this fall, is after rattin' the road a while we can't wait to try it. A golf cart, a litter stick and a 5 gal bucket. Sounds good to me. I am even working on plans to personalize my bucket! I say go for, it's not like you're signing a long term contract

cowboy66
Explorer
Explorer
Don't let some people thinking hold you back. We have hosted many times and are still
doing it. Just love the chance to get to know many nice people.
Go for it.

fullmoonoversal
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations!!

We have been "hosting" for about 8 years. This is our lifestyle now. We lucked out and got a wonderful position and host all year long. During this time we have become active in the local community and have had time off to enjoy seeing other places too.

Go into this with an open mind. And if it doesn't work out in one position, try another.

Good Luck
2017 Coachmen Galleria

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I retired at 58 and enjoyed the first several years of travel. One thing not mentioned is the reality of older life. Taking care of aging parents or older family members, kid problems, health issues as we age that require Dr. visits, grand kids that wife does not want to leave for long all may restrict your travel plans. Depending on you situation some of these may interfere.

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Yay for you!!! If life had not turned my path in the direction it had I had planned on hosting also, but just for the fun of it! Instead I'll just be traveling and enjoying life, but nothing is to say that could not change and I'd host in a minute at a campground!

Best of luck in your new venture!!! Kudos for taking the next step!

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to the freedom of RVING!
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations. You made a good choice. We retired early and never regretted it. We volunteered for national and state parks off and on for our 16 years of full-timing. It's an awesome experience. There are many wonderful opportunities out there and you get to choose what you want to do. We've given lighthouse tours, lived on an island, played with the fish at a Fish & Wildlife gig, toured Lake Powell on a houseboat, pulling a speedboat for siteseeing those fascinating coves (yes, while volunteering), walked trails and just chatting with other hikers, and many more wonderful 'jobs'. It gives you a worthwhile feeling to help others to enjoy the parks. You'll love volunteering. It sure beats sitting and watching t.v. all day.

I can't believe the two comments made about how awful hosting 'must be'. They didn't even do it. How do they know? It is nothing like they 'imagined'. Volunteers have choices as to the jobs they perform. If they don't like a particular one then don't apply for those kinds of job. There will be others who don't mind doing them. The purpose of volunteering isn't a free campsite. It's helping.

Best of luck and have fun in your new lifestyle!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have to get out & go while you can. There are thousands in graveyards who wished they had a few days before they got to the graveyard.

I have a memorial service to go to tomorrow. A good friend & former business competitor. Same age. He enjoyed a year or so of retirement. Had a vacation home in NH. Last I saw him he was in the 'thinking about it' stage of getting an RV.

As long as finances & health allow, keep going.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

cpd520
Explorer
Explorer
CONGRATS!!!

I retired a few years ago, wife wasn't ready. She is now, HOORAY!

House is in escrow and should close on the 22nd. Wife will give notice the same day. We thought the house would show better if it was staged. so we are currently hosting at Dead Horse State Park in Cottonwood, AZ.

I had real reservations about volunteering/hosting. I have worked pretty much nonstop since 7th grade and often worked more than one job. It takes a lot to support 5 kids and a wife.

Turns out, it's a blast. I do many of the menial tasks others are pooh-poohing. All I can say is that as soon as my but hits the golf cart seat I am smiling. I spend a short day interacting with great fellow volunteers, friendly rangers and people from all over, who are here to have a good time.

Follow your dream. We will include volunteering as part of our lifestyle. It will free up money for other pursuits.
Jack and Nina

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
Go for it! We don't full time, but we split our time between living in the 5er in the Texas Hill Country and the sticks & bricks back home. My user name is also the license plate on our 5er and displays our attitude and philosophy: we "ain't waitin'". There's never a budget large enough to do everything we want, but it covers everything we need.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbor died from brain cancer, and that sort of pushed me into buying my motorhome. It was sort of a 'reality' moment, where one realizes that your life is short, enjoy what you can of it!

Good luck on your next adventure! Enjoy it while you are young enough to still get out there and see everything! I took 2 years off, and enjoyed every minute of it! Now it is back to the grindstone for me, and I wish I could retire again! (I was only 42, and had sold a wonderful investment, so I had the money to travel). . .

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats!

Life is too short and can change in the blink of an eye. Do it now while you still can.
We are about a month behind you, so maybe we will see you on the road.

Travel safe and have a blast!
Cheryl
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us