cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Side bath vs split bath

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
We have only had split baths with the two fifth wheels we've had & overall like them. The toilet room is a little small but it usable. I like being able to close sliding door to living area & having openness of space in front of shower/ sink area & bedroom. I look at the side baths & I just don't think I would like them; even the ones with two doors.

With the split baths seeming to be used less in new units, tell me why you like yours (or not). When we upgrade I'm afraid that's all that will be available & I'm just afraid I'll hate it, so convince me I won't .
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT
29 REPLIES 29

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
We would never go back to a split bathroom. The little toilet closet drove me nuts. In our previous make/model it was sized/designed for folks way under 6'.

Our current unit has a nice size shower, sink, and toilet all in one room with two doors. For the rare times we have an extra person stay with us, this type of set up comes in handy. If company is using the bathroom we can still go down the hallway directly into our master bedroom.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Interesting!
Did a quick tally and excluding second coments, I see this
Split bath 10
Separate Bath 7
Pass Through 1
Split decision 1 (Dave_Smith)
Seems kids and privacy drive the Separate bath, and room and no kids drive split bath.

I will say I miss the somewhat separate bath our old King of the Road had, I would call it a pass through full width of 5er, but you went through to get to the bedroom.
It was great! had a tub, and a vanity on the side wall that was about 4'wide with a cabinet under the sink and a full set of three drawers to the right. all this in a 28' unit.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
Ours has the split bath with separate toilet room.We prefer it over all others. The only one room bathroom I've liked in an RV was the rear bath models. Most of the other single room bathrooms are too tight.
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
dave_smith wrote:
We had a rear bath on our last TT that the missus really liked - all the functions in one cozy room. Frankly it was a bit too cozy for me: some interesting yoga positions assumed when drying off after a shower! I can relate to Superman changing his clothes in a phone booth!

Newer FW has a split bath which I love as finally enough room to towel off by moving my arms....

X2

Amen to that.
One of THE reasons I went from a TT to MH with split bath!! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Love the split bath. It makes the bedroom area much more open. We will never have anyone camping with us so as fulltimers, space is important. We have a fan right over our shower so moisture is not a problem. We have a pocket door that closes off the upstairs and we had the accordion door removed during build. After all, how much time do you spend in a bathroom? I am always perplexed watching HGTV and people,e complaining about the size of the bathroom,. You just do your business and get out. Who wants to hang out in a bathroom no matter how luxurious it is.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

dave_smith1
Explorer
Explorer
We had a rear bath on our last TT that the missus really liked - all the functions in one cozy room. Frankly it was a bit too cozy for me: some interesting yoga positions assumed when drying off after a shower! I can relate to Superman changing his clothes in a phone booth!

Newer FW has a split bath which I love as finally enough room to towel off by moving my arms. She really doesn't like it though & has fondly mentioned the old bath layout several times. The toilet room is tight but no less legroom than the rear bath. Guess you can't please everyone (or at least two people who are vastly different in scale)
Regards,
Dave & Kristi Smith
----------------------
2013 Arctic Fox 29-5K FW
2011 Ford F350 Lariat
Visit our RV site!

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
When shopping for our tt I really liked the use of space with the split bath but decided that having our kids and often their friends along, a designated "room" was much more practical.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Split bathroom hands down!

Gives the RV a larger brighter open floor plan. As long as there is a door to close off the bedroom and front of the RV when in use.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

_en_Plain_Air_
Explorer
Explorer
I like a unified bath so that I can 'pre-heat' it with small space heater, getting to a toasty warm temperature before disrobing and showering. Otherwise, it can sometimes be too cold to even change clothes, let alone shower!

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
dahkota wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
dahkota wrote:
With a split bath, how does anyone else access the bedroom while the shower is being used?

Whaaa??? How long does it take to have a shower? Besides Ive seen the DW nekked for almost 45 years. What do I care if she is in the shower?:h

Innocent question - I honestly don't know how people deal with the different situations that a split bath has. I personally take about 25 minutes in the shower from start to finish. And what if there are people who aren't your spouse for 45 years? And anyone who needs to access the bedroom? How about if someone is napping in the bedroom? Is there a separation between the bed and the bath? (the three I saw today only had a door that separated the 'bath area' from the main living room).

Similar to above, 47 years married and modesty is no problem for us so we rarely close a door unless the back window shade is open. And rarely have anyone stay with us other than occasional grandkid.

But our split bath arrangement can be isolated from the living area by a sliding pocket door, and from the bedroom by an accordian type pull screen. So you can create a temporary all in one bathroom if you want.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
dahkota wrote:
With a split bath, how does anyone else access the bedroom while the shower is being used?

Whaaa??? How long does it take to have a shower? Besides Ive seen the DW nekked for almost 45 years. What do I care if she is in the shower?:h

Innocent question - I honestly don't know how people deal with the different situations that a split bath has. I personally take about 25 minutes in the shower from start to finish. And what if there are people who aren't your spouse for 45 years? And anyone who needs to access the bedroom? How about if someone is napping in the bedroom? Is there a separation between the bed and the bath? (the three I saw today only had a door that separated the 'bath area' from the main living room).
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
dahkota wrote:

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
wannavolunteerFT wrote:
I have the side bath and like it... I can close off hallway just in front of bathroom if I want with a curtain rod that I hung across opening. My large wardrobe cabinet is in hall directly across from bathroom.

I like the fact that I can contain humidity from shower in the bathroom. I can't imagine dealing with the steam from a shower in the bedroom, would think it would cause all sorts of issues with everything stored in there. I guess if you live in a dry climate, it might not be an issue, but here in GA humidity is always a major concern.

The humidity just hasn't been a issue. Either the fan or the AC take care of it. What I don't like about the split bath is the skylight over the shower, and the light into the bedroom from it. But I like the room.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD